Law School Discussion

William Mitchell- Admitted Students Day?

dodo97

• View Profile
Re: William Mitchell- Admitted Students Day?
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2006, 01:20:47 PM »
Do you think it would be worth it to take significant $$ at Hamline contingent on maintaining a 3.0 over WM? WM has better placement and reputation, but it's tempting. Any thoughts? I can't make it to Hamline's day, so if anyone goes let me know.

I actually got a much better offer at WM instead of Hamline (75 percent William Mitchell Grant w/2.5 for WM compared to 16k/yr w/3.0), which surprised me based on what friends who have previously gone though this process told me. But to answer your question, I really don't know. My friend that will be at WM student's day with me is probably going to go to Hamline over WM b/c he got no money at WM and I think 5k from Hamline. The money will be the deciding factor for him. He'll be at the student's days for both schools, so I'll let you know what he says about Hamline.

law09

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »
Those are my thoughts exactly on the Hamline $$. I hope and will try my absolute best to maintain a 3.0, but for all I know I might have a difficult year. In that case, it seems like a gamble because AT graduation ~90% of WM grads are employed vs. ~60% of Hamline grads -- based on 2003 stats. Everyone I've talked to has said they're all good schools, but the conversation always goes back to William Mitchell having a great rep in the area. Plus, I just really like what WM has to offer.

dodo97

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2006, 01:24:36 PM »
Nothing from UW yet. I don't think anyone who applied with a December lsat has heard back according to LSN, so I could be in for quite a wait. I'm going to pay the first deposit at WM by April 3rd for sure. Don't want to hold my breath for a Madison acceptance that may never come.

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2006, 01:32:20 PM »
Have you tried telling Mitchell that you got more $$$ from Hamline? If they are trying to get their rankings up, they might consider offering you more.

I used similar bargaining techniques... Except that Mitchell is still the better choice (more $$$ by $2000 or so, and a lower GPA request)...

Do you know what any of these schools set their curve at?

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2006, 01:34:43 PM »
Yes, definitely let us know how the St. Thomas one goes!  I didn't get any money from either, but I'm looking on the bright side...never mind, I can't find one!

Don't you have to send in your tuition money when you send in the registration form?  Just curious.

I'll be living out in Eden Prairie. La mujer - you live in Bloomington right?

Hey dodo!  Long time, no talk!  Is your friend the one you had mentioned to me earlier.

Looks like there will be six of us then!

Nope I actually live in MPLS Uptown... I might move close to Mitchell though, if I can find a place that I like that allows doggies... And has a parking spot... (Sounds like a pipe dream)....

law09

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 01:39:50 PM »
That's me who lives in Bloomington :) Dodo-- any input from your friend on Hamline would be appreciated, thanks!

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »
Man!  I must have had you all mixed up.  Sorry ladies. 

Dodo- I'm sure you'll here from U W soon.  Good luck!  And let us know what your friend says about Hamline. 

La mujer - did you call WM to "bargain" or write a letter?  That is really awesome.  Also, to answer your question, I found the average GPA info for WM on their site somewhere...they were all around a 2.75.  What do you have to get to keep the SSS at WM?

dodo97

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 01:58:31 PM »
My William Mitchell scholarship is renewable with a 2.5. If I can't hold a 2.5 in my first year, I would probably drop out.

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 02:14:14 PM »
"La mujer - did you call WM to "bargain" or write a letter?  That is really awesome.  Also, to answer your question, I found the average GPA info for WM on their site somewhere...they were all around a 2.75.  What do you have to get to keep the SSS at WM?"

Actually the initial offer from WM was good - it was Hline that I bargained with... (I was considering studying there because of the Health Law Ctr and whatnot - but in reality WM has SO much more of an alumni base/TC rep that I'd rather go there)

I sent Hline a reply to one of their LS Newsletter emails, (I noticed it was the admissions person) and explained the situation, and asked what would be the advantages to attending and incurring more debt. She called me that evening, and then a week or two later she offered me more $

Since WM is trying to get their #s up as well, I would assume they would consider bargaining. I would just send them a tactful letter or email explaining that you really want to attend WM, but financially Hamline is seeming better. See what happens..I'm sure you'll come up with something better than that to say/do :)

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 02:17:50 PM »
Do you think it would be worth it to take significant $$ at Hamline contingent on maintaining a 3.0 over WM? WM has better placement and reputation, but it's tempting. Any thoughts? I can't make it to Hamline's day, so if anyone goes let me know.

I actually got a much better offer at WM instead of Hamline (75 percent William Mitchell Grant w/2.5 for WM compared to 16k/yr w/3.0), which surprised me based on what friends who have previously gone though this process told me. But to answer your question, I really don't know. My friend that will be at WM student's day with me is probably going to go to Hamline over WM b/c he got no money at WM and I think 5k from Hamline. The money will be the deciding factor for him. He'll be at the student's days for both schools, so I'll let you know what he says about Hamline.

We have the exact financial offers... How about St. Thomas? For me, they were the stingiest - $8000/yr....