Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I need advice!  (Read 1333 times)

awoolf

• View Profile
    • Email
I need advice!
« on: March 02, 2006, 12:28:39 AM »
I have just recently decided to go to law school. My GPA is 3.3 and I just got my lsat score back and I got a 137. Is there any chance of me getting in anywhere? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: I need advice!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2006, 01:12:17 AM »
It's not impossible.  It really depends on how you put your application together.  Do some research on tier 4 schools, but you may also want to consider retaking the LSAT to boost your score at least into the 140s.  Good luck.

Oh, but don't retake the LSAT until you have gone through as many practice tests as possible.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 01:15:18 AM »
i would keep studying, get a tutor...a 137 is pretty low for even tier 4 :(
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

jvan2619

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 08:24:17 AM »
I concur with the other posters.  Retaking the LSAT is your best bet...I know it sucks to retake it, but I really haven't seen anyone in the 130's get in yet.

Check out
www.lawschoolnumbers.com

you can enter your stats and see if there is anyone who matches up and where they got in.  The great news is that if you can bring up your LSAT score, schools will see that you are really serious about going :)

Best of luck!

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »
With a score in the 130s, it's going to be rough. If you decide to test in October, you have 7 months to study, so you should be able to get the score up until the high 140s, which may give you a shot at a tier 4, or a tier 3 part-time program. 

upNdown

• Sr. Citizen
  • My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 10:57:41 AM »
I have just recently decided to go to law school. My GPA is 3.3 and I just got my lsat score back and I got a 137. Is there any chance of me getting in anywhere? any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Did you prep for the LSAT at all, or did you just go into it cold?  If you didn't prep, you should definately study for it and take it again - the test is very "learnable", although obviously some people can learn it better than others.  If you did prep for the test and ended up with a 137, you may want to reconsider if law school is really for you.  If you decide it is, work on a better school, apply to a lot of schools.  There are schools that take students with low scores, especially if the rest of the application is good.  URM (minority) status also helps here.  Finally, you may also want to consider a non ABA school, but make sure you realize what your realistic options are in that situation.

There's a dude on these boards named latinlord who just got accepted to a good school with a score in the low 140's.  He's a bit of an inspiration because he's applied to like 60 schools over the past two years. 
GPA - 2.095 (It was a long time ago and I wasn't trying.)
LSAT - 161

In - Suffolk, New England School of Law
Out - BC, Northeastern
Pending - Nothing pending . . . now what?

awoolf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 06:48:16 PM »
I did not prep for the test at all. My dumb ass friend told me I didn't need to so I didn't. Live and learn. English is my first language. Thanks for all the info.

johnnydavis

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 07:53:20 PM »
The chances that your score will improve is quite high, considering that you didn't do any preparation for your previus LSAT.  I think you'll be fine.  Even if you study by yourself, doing several practice tests should improve your score to give you a much better shot at law school.  Best of luck to you.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 08:38:49 PM »
If you did no prep whatsoever, you should easily get into the 150s with a decent amount of practice.  That should put you in reach of tier 3s or possibly some lower tier 2s part time.

awoolf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 11:10:56 PM »
Thank you all for your wonderful advice. I am going to retake the test and hope for a better score. Thanks