Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ATTN: ALL English Majors  (Read 2936 times)

lexylit

Re: ATTN: ALL English Majors
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 03:07:08 PM »
what second language is involved in your class?

uhh, english? hence "english as a second language"  ::)

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
  • English Literature / 3.Something / LSAT in June
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 03:08:58 PM »
Do not start a sentence with and or but in your presonal statement.

lexylit

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2004, 03:10:11 PM »
despite his babyface, i have a sneaking suspicion "aboynoir" is just a pseudonym for the director of admissions at yale

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2004, 04:24:11 PM »
despite his babyface, i have a sneaking suspicion "aboynoir" is just a pseudonym for the director of admissions at yale

If you are going to operate under that assumption, would it be out of order to promise you admittance in exchange for a date? Touché. ;D

Cheeks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2004, 05:00:20 PM »

I think i disagree with this.  Like Lexy said, there's no set rule.  Plus, it depends how you want your personal statement to sound.  If you want it to be extremely formal, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea ... otherwise, I say go for whatever ...

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2004, 05:07:24 PM »
Just because your professor didnt like it, doesnt mean it was wrong. I had a professor cross out nymphomaniac when i was talking about Ben Franklin: not because it wasnt a word, i just dont think he liked who i was attributing it to (i dont think he liked my final choice of debauchery any better). in any case, starting sentences with and/but is grammatically correct. they just teach you when you are young not to do so because oftentimes kids do it incorrectly when they are first learning the language.

I am an English major, and for some reason I love starting sentences with and. BUT, i do remember in a class  I took last semester my seasoned prof crossed it out every time i did it. So I guess it was wrong. >:(

The one I'll never forget is I was marked down for using "facial features" when I was writing on a book.  The freaking author used the term over and over, so I used it.  His reason was it sounds redundant.  This was a high school Lit instructor.  Go figure. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

aboynoir

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2004, 05:07:41 PM »

I think i disagree with this.  Like Lexy said, there's no set rule.  Plus, it depends how you want your personal statement to sound.  If you want it to be extremely formal, then it probably wouldn't be a good idea ... otherwise, I say go for whatever ...

But I do not think it is a good idea. And, furthermore, I am the authority on proper sentence structure.  :o

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2004, 09:48:41 PM »
I'm not an English major, but my teachers have always drilled it into me that I shouldn't start sentences with coordinating conjunctions. Then again, they also beat the passive voice out of me, and I've never really understood that one.

Ditto.  My whole family is in the printing business and I've had proofreaders read over my work hundreds of times...no starting sentences with "but" or "and," and my other pet peeve...no contractions (don't, I'm, can't).  This is formal writing people...unless you have a reason to break the rules (for effect or something I guess), I'm against breaking them in the personal statement.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

nathanielmark

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2004, 09:50:20 PM »
GA Kristi, did you get my PS?  ???

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2004, 09:54:23 PM »
Yes, but I'm on the road moving cross-country from Atlanta to California for law school.  I meant to email you back and tell you I'd get to it ASAP, but the hotels I've stayed in haven't had great internet.  I get to CA tomorrow night, I'll try and email you my comments this weekend if that's ok!  :)

I'm sitting in a hotel lobby in AZ using their wireless connection as we speak, so I'll download the file onto my computer and take it back to my room to keep me company tonight!  :)  lol
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi