Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ATTN: ALL English Majors  (Read 2798 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
ATTN: ALL English Majors
« on: July 28, 2004, 09:44:45 PM »
I am old school, and was taught over and over, to absolutely NEVER start a sentence with AND or BUT.  What is the new generation being taught?  Other than don't listen to old school folks
 ;)
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

lexylit

Re: ATTN: ALL English Majors
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 09:50:43 PM »
i discourage it when i'm teaching, but it certainly isn't as hard-and-fast as it once was. Attorneys do it in court filings when they want to sound a little casual. It depends what tone you're going for, but i would say it's more a style issue (preference) and less a grammar one (right/wrong).

thebengalgent

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 09:51:24 PM »
I was taught the same thing as well.  But wasn't that the rule only in grade school?  HAHA.

In all seriousness, the word "however" is better than "but", but there is nothing wrong with starting a sentence with but or and.

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2004, 10:02:49 PM »
It is discouraged when a student is just starting out learning grammatical rules; however, I remain convinced that it can be used properly in certain situations.  Exceptions to some grammar rules break up the monotony of essays if cleverly used.  But I definitely agree that when in doubt, just stick to the old rules.

GentleTim

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.45/175
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 04:46:45 AM »
It's one of those rules you should follow until you know when you can break it.

jrhc1210

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.85/Oct
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jrhc1210
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2004, 07:50:08 AM »
I am old school, and was taught over and over, to absolutely NEVER start a sentence with AND or BUT.  What is the new generation being taught?  Other than don't listen to old school folks
 ;)

I'm not an English major, but my teachers have always drilled it into me that I shouldn't start sentences with coordinating conjunctions. Then again, they also beat the passive voice out of me, and I've never really understood that one.

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2004, 08:38:49 AM »
yeah, sign me up for that class ;)

lexylit

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 12:29:27 PM »
very sweet. you would definitely do well in my ESL class. i bet you could choose between "a" and "an" like nobody's business! :P

uncgal05

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 12:32:47 PM »
I am an English major, and for some reason I love starting sentences with and. BUT, i do remember in a class  I took last semester my seasoned prof crossed it out every time i did it. So I guess it was wrong. >:(

mkagan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 03:05:29 PM »
Just because your professor didnt like it, doesnt mean it was wrong. I had a professor cross out nymphomaniac when i was talking about Ben Franklin: not because it wasnt a word, i just dont think he liked who i was attributing it to (i dont think he liked my final choice of debauchery any better). in any case, starting sentences with and/but is grammatically correct. they just teach you when you are young not to do so because oftentimes kids do it incorrectly when they are first learning the language.

I am an English major, and for some reason I love starting sentences with and. BUT, i do remember in a class  I took last semester my seasoned prof crossed it out every time i did it. So I guess it was wrong. >:(
I think pickles are cucumbers that sold out. They sold their soul to the devil, and the devil is dill...