Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: where should i go?  (Read 307 times)

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
where should i go?
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:25:17 PM »
i have been accepted at toledo and hamline.

toledo gave me full tuition for one year, non-renewable.  hamline gave me 6k per.  i would like to transfer after 1L if possible.  although toledo would seem to be a no-brainer, they put me in some transition program where i would have to make-up two classes in the summer.  would this prevent me from transferring out if i do well?  if you were in my position, what would you do?

losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

La_Mujer_de_Grecia

• View Profile
Re: where should i go?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:51:37 PM »
i have been accepted at toledo and hamline.

toledo gave me full tuition for one year, non-renewable.  hamline gave me 6k per.  i would like to transfer after 1L if possible.  although toledo would seem to be a no-brainer, they put me in some transition program where i would have to make-up two classes in the summer.  would this prevent me from transferring out if i do well?  if you were in my position, what would you do?

If you don't end up transferring, where do you want to live?

Also, from what I've read, Hamline requires you to keep a 3.0 to keep the scholarship. What are the rules for Toledo?

What kind of law are you interested in? Hamline has a Health Law Center opening next year. They have a good ADR center...

I know nothing about Toledo.

From what I've been reading, lots of people want to transfer post-1L, but it's not always as easy to do as one originally thinks. Also, from what I've been reading - if you transfer out and you had a scholarship at that school - they will turn the scholarship into a loan.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 09:40:34 PM »
hamline - 2.5 gpa (sweet deal)
toledo - it's a grant. (good standing only)

"From what I've been reading, lots of people want to transfer post-1L, but it's not always as easy to do as one originally thinks. Also, from what I've been reading - if you transfer out and you had a scholarship at that school - they will turn the scholarship into a loan."

is this true?  it seems harsh.  what happens if you miss the grade min and decide to transfer to cheaper state school?
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

Crumpler

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 11:07:48 PM »
I've never heard of a school turning a scholarship into a loan if you transfer.

I'd go to the school you'd be most comfortable at for 3 years.  Transfering is -really- tough, you have to be in the top of the class...usually even to transfer "down" a tier.  Don't go anywhere thinking you'll tranfer out...especially lower ranked schools because most people go in thinking they'll be at the top and will transfer out and only a few make it happen. Bottom line: hope for the best, but plan for the worst.