Law School Discussion

Multiple Seat Deposits?

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
    • The Numbers...Such as they are
Re: Multiple Seat Deposits?
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2006, 07:52:27 AM »
I guess this was exactly my point. To some extent, a seat deposit seems to say, "I'm going there," although some schools seem to create some leeway - especially with late refund dates (Texas Tech does this).

My intention (I'll have to re-read my original post, perhaps I wasn't clear) was to ask not only was it common, but whether in the grand scheme of things it is right.

The time is near (April 1) when I have to make decisions at two schools, and I still don't know about the third, which is my first choice.

Would accepting scholarships and putting seat deposits down on two universities be ethical?

Alamo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2006, 10:35:39 AM »
1LAspirant, if you're looking for moral justification, I've got it.  It's OK, God will still love you.  I myself am 80% sold on W&L and will (unless I hear surprising accpetance + scholarship news from elsewhere) be paying my first seat deposit due 4/3.  However, if other news comes along after this (most likely from the numerous waitlists I foresee myself joining) that opens doors to a school that I would rather go to, I would not hesitate to consider it.  Not only that, but I would use this offer against W&L to see if they will increase my scholarship offer, because an increased scholarship offer from them could affect my decision.

The only conceivable negative repercussion (other than the lost deposit $) is leaving a negative impression in one corner of the legal community.  However, unless you are particularly rude or inappropriate in your withdrawal of acceptance after paying a seat deposit, or did an overselling job to the admissions office promising that you'd go there, you'll probably be forgotten along with the countless hundreds of applicants who have done likewise over the years. 

It's your career, and the decision will affect you more than anybody.  Look out for #1 - because nobody else is going to do it for you.  If you still feel bad and are looking for penance - go into public interest law fighting for a cause that means a lot to you.  I pride myself on being a morally conscious (although sometimes sarcastic) person, and I see absolutely nothing wrong with leaving a school at which you've made a seat deposit.  Best of luck.

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
    • The Numbers...Such as they are
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2006, 11:41:45 AM »
Oh. Ok. Just as long as God still loves me. I'd hate to be smote or even...I shudder to think...smited before I get the chance to be a 1L.

1LAspirant, if you're looking for moral justification, I've got it.  It's OK, God will still love you. 

Lionel Hutz

• aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2006, 05:31:34 PM »
Oh. Ok. Just as long as God still loves me. I'd hate to be smote or even...I shudder to think...smited before I get the chance to be a 1L.

You may yet be smitten.