Law School Discussion

Multiple Seat Deposits?

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
    • The Numbers...Such as they are
Multiple Seat Deposits?
« on: March 01, 2006, 01:24:51 PM »
An admissions official recently suggested that I might have to make multiple seat deposits.

Is this common? It seems A) costly and B) kind of weird because a seat deposit seems like a committment when, at least in this case, it may not be.

Any suggestions?

Re: Multiple Seat Deposits?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 01:35:38 PM »
I don't know what the purpose of sending out multiple deposits is, unless you're just REALLY indecisive and need time to figure it out.  If you notice on most of them, they will refund you a portion of it if you withdraw by certain dates -- which seems to indicate that people DO withdraw (usually if they get off the waitlist for another school).

Why are you considering putting down multiple deposits?

1Laspirant

• Ardenthearted
    • View Profile
    • The Numbers...Such as they are
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 01:47:37 PM »
I've been accepted at several schools, but not at what is my first-choice school, UNC. UNC will not decide on my app. until as late as May 1, one month after seat deposits are due at the schools to which I've been accepted.

So, if UNC is going to wait until after April 1 to make a decision, I need to put a seat deposit down at at least one school I KNOW I have been accepted to. That's one seat deposit.  Then, if I get accepted to UNC, then that will be another seat deposit.

I guess my concern is that a seat deposit seems to be a committment - at least at some level at some schools. In this case, it would not be a committment at all.

Does that make sense? My brain's fried from work.

Why are you considering putting down multiple deposits?

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 01:52:13 PM »
What I would do is assume that UNC isn't going to accept you - figure out which one of the other schools you want to go to, and put a deposit down there.  If you hear good news from UNC, don't send your second deposit in June and you might get some refunded.  Lots of people do this.  Especially those who are waiting to get off waitlists or hear back from schools they've been deferred from. 

For example, I was deferred at Harvard.  The letter told me that I might not hear back until May, which, they understand is past the deadlines for some deposits.  They recommended me putting down a deposit at another school while I wait to hear from them.  That way, I know I'm at least going somewhere.  yes, it's expensive.  But, these next three years are going to drain me anyway -- what's another 300 bucks?

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »
A lot of school has multiple seat deposits. 

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 05:33:17 PM »
I've been accepted at several schools, but not at what is my first-choice school, UNC. UNC will not decide on my app. until as late as May 1, one month after seat deposits are due at the schools to which I've been accepted.

So, if UNC is going to wait until after April 1 to make a decision, I need to put a seat deposit down at at least one school I KNOW I have been accepted to. That's one seat deposit.  Then, if I get accepted to UNC, then that will be another seat deposit.

I guess my concern is that a seat deposit seems to be a committment - at least at some level at some schools. In this case, it would not be a committment at all.

Does that make sense? My brain's fried from work.

it is a commitment, but not one that's iron-clad. that's why people are kept on a waitlist- people will get off the waitlist after initial seat deposits are due, and if you later on decide to retract your "commitment" or seat deposit (usually without a refund) to go to another school, you're out of money, not honor. the school will then go back to the waitlist and pull another person, if they think the class is a little under-sized.

as for putting seat deposits at multiple schools (as opposed to one while you wait on your top choice to make a decision) .. i suppose if you really cannot make up your mind, again it's just your money out of pocket. i think that though by the time deposits are due you really should have one school in mind of all your acceptances, and in that case it would be "nice" of you to choose one instead of taking up multiple seat deposits or scholarship offers.

yiplong

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 05:35:41 PM »
What an absolutely informative reply!!! ;)

The OP asked if multiple deposits are common.  I think my previous post answered his question perfectly. 

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 05:36:48 PM »
What an absolutely informative reply!!! ;)

The OP asked if multiple deposits are common.  I think my previous post answered his question perfectly. 

yes except you completely missed his point, it seems.

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 06:14:08 PM »
I know we've had the discussion about multiple seat deposits before but I just thought of something new

Would accepting scholarships and putting seat deposits down on two universities be ethical?
Or do people who are hoping on a reach accept a scholarship from one university and if possibly accepted to the reach withdraw even after accepting the scholarship?

wondered about what people thought

I see nothing wrong with this. Schools know that first deposits are not necessarily indicative of attendance...hence why many schools have two deposits. The same goes for scholarships. What would be unethical would be leaving your admission/hanging when you KNOW you aren't going.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 07:19:59 PM »
I think if you need more time then you should put in multiple seat deposits.  Some schools have visit weekends past the initial seat deposit and you don't want to not visit a school you might have some interest in because it's past the time for deposits.