Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Michigan- Ann Arbor: Car necessary?  (Read 773 times)

nowayman

• Sr. Citizen
  • "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
Michigan- Ann Arbor: Car necessary?
« on: March 01, 2006, 11:05:55 AM »
Anyone know whether or not it is necessary or convenient to have a car in Ann Arbor?  I've heard that the bus system is great for getting to and from school, but would that be sufficient for the town, too?

It would definitely be an adventure, driving from Texas to Michigan.  I'm not sure my car would make it, heh.

Any input, especially from someone who went to UM as undergrad or grad, would be appreciated.  Second hand info is fine with me, also.
Michigan, Class of 2008.5!

daktah

• View Profile
Re: Michigan- Ann Arbor: Car necessary?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:34:31 AM »
Hey.  My girlfriend currently goes to Michigan Law and I'm planning to join her this summer, so I've been up there a lot.  She didn't have a car for the first two months or so, and then she got a car some time around October/November.  She definitely said she felt stranded without one - this coming from someone who hadn't had a car for four years of college and two years of living in Chicago.  Grocery store runs, driving to restaurants/friends' houses, running other errands, etc. really started to get annoying using buses and the occasional cab.  She really doesn't use her car that often, but it makes life a lot easier.  She doesn't take it to school - still rides the bus for six minutes each morning - but it makes the weekends a bit easier.  I'll have a car next year, as well.  I haven't lived without one since I was 16, though, so I'm a bit defensive about the idea of not having one.  I think you'll enjoy having a car and will notice the inconvenience of not having one, but you can get through it if you're close to campus and bus routes.  I hope this helps.  Is Michigan currently atop you list?

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »
Even in NYC life can suck without a car. For example, you wish to visit your friend in central CT, how are you gotta get there? Train? 
A car is absolutely crucial to living a normal life almost anywhere in the country. 

nowayman

• Sr. Citizen
  • "No way, man." Phrase: to have disbelief.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 01:01:58 PM »
Thanks for the replies,

It is being given very high consideration at the moment Daktuh.
Michigan, Class of 2008.5!

jujunyc

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 01:52:45 PM »
nowayman--good question, and one i was wondering about too. Looks like we're choosing from the same crop of schools.

I'm sort of fearful of moving to the midwest from the east coast, but it's looking sort of probable at this point. In every other way i'm really excited about the schools, but argh...it just seems like a different world or something.

theprofessor

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 02:48:46 PM »
I've been living in Ann Arbor for the past few years, both going to grad school and working, and I can definitely say that life without a car here would be nasty, brutish, and short. The bus "system" is a joke. It goes to the law school, but only from a small portion of the city. If you don't have a car, you'll need to do some research beforehand in terms of finding a place to live on a decent bus route. Even if the bus does go to campus, getting to the grocery or running errands would be another matter entirely. The city is really quite spread out and not at all made for relying on public transportation. Get a car. Please.

mkashley

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 03:09:30 PM »
Even in NYC life can suck without a car. For example, you wish to visit your friend in central CT, how are you gotta get there? Train? 
A car is absolutely crucial to living a normal life almost anywhere in the country. 

You know, I'm really starting to feel this way.  I wrecked my car when my hood popped up and smashed the windshield on the expressway a few months ago, and I haven't replaced it yet.  I live in chicago, and I can't stand not having one.  I was waiting to see where I would end up to see if I need one, but screw it, I want a car anywhere.  I'm gonna test drive a new civic tonight.

lawteach

• ancient of days
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 06:25:30 PM »
i went to michigan for UG and it was never an issue not having a car.  granted, you law school experience would probably involve more activities and obligations away from campus, but i can't imagine that a car is *necessary* living there. 

i love ann arbor, it was a wonderful place to be, but the bottom line is that, if you go too far afield, you're just in some other part of michigan, which invariably sucks.  and when staring into the face of the prospect of owing 100K after law school, i realize that having a car to go to the GROCERY STORE is a luxury i might be able to deal without.  plus, there are tons of others with whom you can tag along to do random errands.

oh, and parking on or near campus sucks. 

alexdn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN:
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 06:50:52 PM »
i went to summer camp in ann arbor in high school, and we felt trapped because no one had a car- ann arbor is bigger than you'd think, and walking places takes can take a long time (and then when it's snowing...) 

a car's probably not absolutely necessary, but i think it would make getting to the grocery store, movie theatre, and other parts of ann arbor, much more convenient. 
Decision made: Harvard Law School '09 (or '10 if I defer)

emarejay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 07:07:52 PM »
Having a car in AA is absolutely unnecessary. I was there four years and never needed one. If you are in law school, it is even less necessary. Plus there is nowhere to park if you live in their housing.