Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In at WNEC!  (Read 2140 times)

bobbykurva

• View Profile
In at WNEC!
« on: March 01, 2006, 10:39:40 AM »
Anyone else in and considering attending? I got the call from Dean Johnson last night and was offered a seat - I was so excited as it is my number 1 choice. WNEC has an awesome selection of clinics and simultations which was a deciding factor in making it my #1 choice. From what I hear, it's got great cred in western Mass and a large alumni network in Connecticut too. Any other constructive opinions about WNEC law out there?

bama

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In at WNEC!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 11:08:38 AM »
Anyone else in and considering attending? I got the call from Dean Johnson last night and was offered a seat - I was so excited as it is my number 1 choice. WNEC has an awesome selection of clinics and simultations which was a deciding factor in making it my #1 choice. From what I hear, it's got great cred in western Mass and a large alumni network in Connecticut too. Any other constructive opinions about WNEC law out there?

I went there for undergrad, I enjoyed it.  Don't know much about the law school though.

Zurichbr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2006, 11:58:07 PM »
Im in at WNEC with $7,000/year.  Im seriosuly considering attending.  I am in at NESL, Dayton, Widener, and was conditionally accepted to NYLS part-time.  I withdrew from NYLS b/c I didnt want to go PT and its too expensive and Dayton b/c i dont want to practice in Ohio.  I have heard the employment opportunities in Hartford are great for WNEC grads.  My friend who is currently a 1L also said the city is pretty fun and the campus is nice.  The downfalls are the fact that the degree probably doesnt travel too far.  There are too many other schools in Boston and NY, but if you want to start out within the general region of the school the prospects are great.  I was excited to hear this as I know some T3 grads have trouble getting jobs anywhere.  What have you heard?  Are you going to the admitted students day on 4/8?  I'll be there. 

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2006, 09:14:47 AM »
I do plan on attending the open house on 4/8. I've visited the school in the past and met with students and faculty - I got the impression that the school is extremely friendly - everyone seems like they'd be more than willing to lend a helping hand whenever needed. I've also heard great things about the job prospects in CT (I live in CT). The way things stand now - it looks as though I'll be attending WNEC come this fall, though I'll be in the PT evening program (can't afford to not work for 3 years).

Where are you from? Maybe I'll see you at the open house.

Zurichbr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2006, 11:15:07 PM »
Im from New Jersey, but Ill be staying with my Aunt in CT for the weekend.  Where do you plan to work during the school year?  I graduated last May and worked for the past year so I have saved a good amount and plan on relying on loans for the rest.  Have you looked into living arrangements?  Where do most people live?

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2006, 11:44:19 AM »
I graduated college in May 2004. I've been working in a management role in New Markets and Licensed Product Development for a distributor. I'm leaving my job at the end of the summer because of the commute. I work in North Haven (southern end of the state), and it's just too far of a commute to go from work to school in Mass. I'll be looking for a job at a local law firm. I've got a few connections - so I'm banking on them. I bought a new car last year, plus monthly bills - so not working is not an option.

As far as where people live - I have no idea. I live in central CT, so I'll be commuting to school. It's only about a 30 min. drive from where I live. It looks as though you'll be looking for a place. I noticed that the school offers assistance in finding apartments. Check out this site, it may be of some help. (http://www1.law.wnec.edu/prospective/index.cfm?selection=doc.772)

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2006, 12:30:41 PM »
I think the job prospects for WNEC grads aren't actually that good. I know a few graduating students, many on law review, and those who have jobs found them by using their connections (i.e., mom got junior a job). The school has a horrible reputation. Check out WNEC's numbers in the newest US News rankings.

bobbykurva

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2006, 12:48:07 PM »
Sure - nationally the schools rep isn't great. It's known locally (at least in my area) and that's why the school works for me. It all depends on where you choose to practice. I'm not interested in BIGLAW. My goal is to open a solo or small firm in the future, and do my own thing. Look at it this way - there is no way that the T14's can pump out enough laywers to do everything in this worls. Every law school has it's place, just make sure that the school can realistically help you fulfill your dreams. 

daisey251

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2006, 12:49:58 AM »
I think the job prospects for WNEC grads aren't actually that good. I know a few graduating students, many on law review, and those who have jobs found them by using their connections (i.e., mom got junior a job). The school has a horrible reputation. Check out WNEC's numbers in the newest US News rankings.

If the rep is "horrible," why'd you apply, esp w/ your stats?!?  I say you and the LSN profile is total flame.

kmpnj

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • law school numbers
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2006, 01:02:06 AM »
I got into WNEC, but I withdrew after sending in my seat deposit to Widener.  My decision came about because of a few reasons.  Primarily, I had no real desire to move away from the Philadelphia/South Jersey/Delaware region.  Also, I want to practice in that same area.  Lastly, although a T4, Widener has a great reputation for turning out good lawyers, especially trial lawyers, which is what I want to do.

Had I not decided on Widener, however, WNEC would probably have been my 2nd choice.

I'm happy that you got into your 1st choice and good luck to you.