Law School Discussion

"Convenant with Black America" by Tavis Smiley

Re: "Convenant with Black America" by Tavis Smiley
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2006, 08:02:21 AM »
definitely a marketing tactic...however the book is around $8...

Oh ...

did they really feel the need to lay it on that thick for something that's $8? I guess I'll go ahead and order it then.

:-\ I'll check it out from the library.

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2006, 08:51:31 AM »
I am jumping on the bandwagon and ordering my copy as soon as this posts.  I am very anxious about this book for some reason.  We really should read it and have a discussion about it once everyone is caught up.

_BP_

• Think. Wait. Fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2006, 11:03:49 AM »
I am jumping on the bandwagon and ordering my copy as soon as this posts.  I am very anxious about this book for some reason.  We really should read it and have a discussion about it once everyone is caught up.

agreed

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2006, 04:42:49 PM »
what do you all think of the proposition put forward by Farakkhan that black americans should forget about the promise america made, and instead disassociate ourselves from the american institution altogether?

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2006, 05:56:42 PM »
what do you all think of the proposition put forward by Farakkhan that black americans should forget about the promise america made, and instead disassociate ourselves from the american institution altogether?

In order to do so there has to be enough like minded people who want to do it. Black people are not uniform enough in purpose to pull that off. Although we should stop looking to America to solve our problems and take responsibility for ourselves, as many on the panel agreed.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2006, 06:07:09 PM »
Even though his intentions were more radical, I think partially that's what he was getting at - that we need to stop looking for a  white majoritarian government to solve black problems. 

mivida2k

• Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2006, 06:54:08 PM »
A friend of mine and I had this discussion.  She is pro-segregaton.  I do agree that we as a people need to take care of ourselves.  That means keeping money in our communities longer, setting up K-12 tutorial programs, mentorships, sistahs need to stop bringing each other down, increase homeownership, and we need to stop selling our companies.

Slavery, Jim Crow, Katrina, Tulsa, Rosewood, should prove that we need to take care of ourselves and not look to "white america" or the government to take care of us or solve the inherent problems that this country has with race and class issues. 

Young, would you agree that there used to be some uniformity in the "black community"?

Young Esq.

• B-More Careful
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 08:47:57 PM »

Young, would you agree that there used to be some uniformity in the "black community"?

Economically speaking I would say yes. We used to support each other more.  However after segregation Blacks began to spread out more so it becomes harder to support black business when you don't live in close proximity. Take the Chocolate Cities for example (DC and Atlanta). Minority business is thriving because there are a lot of blacks in one place. However most cities with black professionals are not as for lack of a better phrase "Chocolate" as the two Mecca's of the Black Economy. I don't blame our people, or anyone else. What I do say is when you have “arrived”, find where the other black professionals live and buy your home there. In this way it is not as hard for blacks to support each other economically. Prime examples are Montgomery and Prince George’s County Maryland and Dekalb County Georgia (a/k/a The Black Economic Meccas).

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2006, 08:35:36 AM »
I'm definitely not pro segregation however I feel that WE are only going to be able to change our current situation. One of the reasons that I feel this board is more than some screennames and thoughts. I honestly believe that we could make some changes together..but maybe that's just my vision.. maybe it's foolish.. but it is well intentioned...