Law School Discussion

"Convenant with Black America" by Tavis Smiley

Jontor

• View Profile
"Convenant with Black America" by Tavis Smiley
« on: March 01, 2006, 07:36:38 AM »
I just ordered a copy from Amazon, anyone out there that have read it? What do you think?

Re: "Convenant with Black America" by Tavis Smiley
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 07:39:12 AM »
ordered it yesterday... will start reading over the weekend... would be great if everyone on the board bought it and we could start a discussion... great topic jontor

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 07:51:31 AM »
Even though I have mad reading to do, I would actually like to make time to read that book after having watched the State of the Black Union.  I would love to get to that event someday and rap with those cats for hours.

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 07:59:21 AM »
Someone make PDF files of this so we all can read it. How many pages is it?

The problem with Tavis Smiley saying we should support Black Businesses is that . . . . most Black Businesses are just looking for a hand-out. They dont care about what I want. I mean in NYC/NJ . . . . I try to give Black Businesses a chance but I'm always dissapointed.

Like not too long ago I tried out this new Black Restaurant. . . . I was cold and hungry. I asked the maitre d' for a menu and it took her fat ass a minute to walk over to get one. So I ordered baked catfish and she said she's out. So I'm like hmmmmm . . . . . then I ordered some chicken and then she said no problem. 3 minutes later she says she out of that too.

And not to mention the rudeness of some of these businesses. When I'm ever in a black store it seems like i'm rushing. But when I'm in a white store I frolic and take my time.

I mostly shop at gentrified areas where the goods are fresh and the workers smile and say "How can I help you today?" I dunno, I'm just weird like that.

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 07:59:52 AM »
Even though I have mad reading to do, I would actually like to make time to read that book after having watched the State of the Black Union.  I would love to get to that event someday and rap with those cats for hours.

I'm hoping to go next year (if I'm not drowned in 1L work)

mivida2k

• Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:09:42 AM »

I'm hoping to go next year (if I'm not drowned in 1L work)

Same here. 

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:10:39 AM »
well they're in Jamestown next yr.. I'm going to try to make my way over there... couldn't make it this past weekend as i wasn't feeling the greatest..but I had the pleasure of actually working for the event in 01....wonderful experience and made some excellent contacts...

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 12:40:37 PM »
definitely a marketing tactic...however the book is around $8...

Victor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 12:45:58 PM »
when I'm in a white store I frolic and take my time.

Did you really just say that?

I just ordered a copy from Amazon, anyone out there that have read it? What do you think?

I think I'll order a copy, though I'm little reluctant. Did it seem at times to you like they were focusing more on selling this book than on addressing the issues it raises? Maybe it's just me.

Yes, I did.   :)

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 01:10:11 PM »
yeah i was surprised to see it priced for $8...

Oh ...

did they really feel the need to lay it on that thick for something that's $8? I guess I'll go ahead and order it then.