Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: T-20 Cage Match - GW vs. Vanderbilt  (Read 1062 times)

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
T-20 Cage Match - GW vs. Vanderbilt
« on: March 01, 2006, 09:21:25 AM »
Now that it's March 1 and still haven't heard from the reaches, I'm going forward with my top 2 choices.  First, some things to consider -

1) I currently live in DC and love it.
2) I want to practice in the Northeast.

With that in mind, is there any argument for going to Vanderbilt?  Will there be opportunities available from Vandy that won't be available from GW?  Will recruiters go deeper into a class at Vandy than at GW?

osu2521

• View Profile
Re: T-20 Cage Match - GW vs. Vanderbilt
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 12:05:42 PM »
I'm actually in the same boat, just reversed:  down to Vandy and GW, but I'm from the Midwest and would probably like to return there, making Vandy the more attractive option for me.  Vandy seems to have a little better national reach, but maybe I'm wrong.  And I can live large in Nashville for the same price as being a pauper in DC (though that shouldn't really be much of a consideration).

With your stipulations, though, I think GW would be your best bet.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 12:10:55 PM »
Gunner- I think GW is the best bet for you.  GW is much better for the NE than Vanderbilt.

OSU - Vanderbilt is definitely a better choice for you. I don't think GW has much recognition in the Midwest while Vandy is more national and there are people there who are interested in the Midwest. 

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 12:16:07 PM »
Agreed.  I'm visiting GW soon, but I really get the sense that Vanderbilt is more national.

Maybe it has something to do with knowing that mostof GW was probably turned down by GULC?  I think that affects the prestige, at least to most people.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 12:22:38 PM »
I think you are right whois. GW is a great school and was the other school on the top of my list other than ND. I did get rejected from GULC, but I knew that would be the case so I'm not bitter about it.  On the other hand, ND's students seem to choose it because they really want to go there, not because it was their second choice or they couldn't get into anywhere better. 

what?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 12:26:00 PM »
I think that they are similar enough in respect to job prospects that you should choose the one where you feel like you feel most comfortable.  I don't believe it's true that GW places better in the NE significantly; Vandy sends a lot of people to NYC.  Also, a lot of GW people go to Atlanta.  There is bound to be a lot of back-and-forth discussion in this thread over which is more national, but I don't think anyone knows the answer.  If you really love DC, I think that and the overall atmosphere of the school would be on what I personally would base my decision.

A big difference in my mind is that I think there will be FAR more gunner types at GW than at Vandy.  I recently had lunch with two Vandy grads and a GW grad, and all three agreed that Vandy is probably more relaxed and GW is more cutthroat.  I personally want a more laid-back place.
166/3.8

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 02:32:47 PM »
I think that they are similar enough in respect to job prospects that you should choose the one where you feel like you feel most comfortable.  I don't believe it's true that GW places better in the NE significantly; Vandy sends a lot of people to NYC.  Also, a lot of GW people go to Atlanta.  There is bound to be a lot of back-and-forth discussion in this thread over which is more national, but I don't think anyone knows the answer.  If you really love DC, I think that and the overall atmosphere of the school would be on what I personally would base my decision.

A big difference in my mind is that I think there will be FAR more gunner types at GW than at Vandy.  I recently had lunch with two Vandy grads and a GW grad, and all three agreed that Vandy is probably more relaxed and GW is more cutthroat.  I personally want a more laid-back place.

I don't think GW places significantly better than Vandy in the NE, my concern is whether Vandy places significantly better in the NE than GW.  I don't want to give up opportunities.

The cutthroat nature doesn't bother me too much.  People probably consider me to contribute to the cutthroat nature of wherever I am. 

As for most of GW being turned down by GULC, I'm sure that's probably true.  But then again most of GULC was turned down by UVa, UPenn, etc.  And then most of UVa and UPenn was turned down by HYSCCN.  So that's the way it is and you just do as well as you can do wherever you are.  Otherwise everyone but Yalies has a chip on their shoulder. 

bleedsblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 02:43:45 PM »
GW is much better for the NE than Vanderbilt. 

I don't think this is true.  In fact, I think the opposite may be true.  Placement studies that I've seen show Vanderbilt placing in the NE at least as well as GW.  My guess would be you are probably better off for DC jobs coming from GW, but anywhere besides DC the firms probably go at least as deep into Vandy's class as they do into GW's.

However, given that you already live in DC and love it, you still may be better off staying there, given that the placement of Vandy & GW is certainly similar.

TFarris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 03:29:09 PM »
In your situtation I would definitely go to Vandy, no doubt.  DC firms will probably go deeper into Vandy's class than at GW.  Also, one firm can only fit in so many people from one school; you could be the token Vandy hire from a sea of GULC/GW job applicants.

Same goes for the northeast.  I think Vandy might be regarded a little better, and firms in the NE look at a whole bunch of GW people too.

Also, Vandy is king of Nashville and other cities down there.  GW can't say the same thing about any market anywhere.  So if you don't do well for whatever reason, you still have markets where you can find good jobs.

If you like Atlanta, however, I'd consider Emory with $$$ because it always helps to have a lower debt.

If you got into these places but want to practice in the NE, did you try applying to Boston College?

TheGunner

• Sr. Citizen
  • Seems simple enough...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 03:50:43 PM »
Thanks for your input, TF...At first I thought you were being tongue-in-cheek.  It required a re-read, and your points are valid.

Someone mentioned that a Vandy application in DC would stick out against a bunch of GW/GULC apps.  It's a very good point.

But don't you think access to networking and physical proximity is more valuable?  I mean, isn't the recurring theme on this board that regional schools are great in their region?  And while Vandy is a great school, it's not HYS in terms of national pull.  If you are bottom half at Vandy, you're looking at Memphis, Baton Rouge, and Louisville. 

Checking out NALP Directory, more NE firms do on-campus interviews at GW than at Vandy.  Of course, there are quite a few overlaps in DC as well.  The big boys are all represented

I didn't apply to Boston schools.  No real reason other than I never really considered living and working in Boston. I went to Emory UG and am not sure I want to go back there for Law, even with the money.