Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: do minorities have a clear advantage of getting in and if so, is it right?  (Read 5796 times)

psr13

• Sr. Citizen
  • Isn't my niece adorable?
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: do minorities have a clear advantage of getting in and if so, is it right?
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2004, 02:04:42 PM »
I don't want anything from affirmative action. I want to acheive things by my own merits. I wasn't saying that I wanted it in my post, I was correcting something that was said by someone else.
"What's with today, today?"
-Lucas from "Empire Records"

The Truth

• Sr. Citizen
  • Running the Race Figuratively (MS pic sample)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2004, 12:49:47 AM »
 :o Wow other minorities getting and advantage, boo hoo. Let me ask a question for the umpteenth time, boo hoo;

Quote to live by "If you know what you are facing...do better female dog."  Enough said on this topic

Now if you dont like it you can :-* that azz 8)
The One, The Only, The Truth...
Attending: PENN$$$
W/D after Acc.(had next, LOL): NYU$$$,CLS$,CHI$$,GTown$$$,Duke$$,TX$$,NU(loans),Cornell?
WL'ed & then W/D: HLS(after hold), SLS
Rej: NONE
The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing but The Truth
Don't Hate Me, Because You Ain't Me (J/K, LOL)

rohan

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2004, 11:41:44 AM »
I'm not for underqualified minorities getting an opportunity over a more qualified white person.  But if our qualifications are reasonably close, then @#!* em.  You had a 400 year head start female dog!  Chris Rock (paraphrased)

M2

« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2004, 01:44:07 AM »
AA is good.

If things were balanced I as a white person would be up against an equal amount of qualified minorities/whites.
Things however, are not balanced and  AA attempts to even things out.

I just dont understad how anyone oculd have a problem with this. If things were even you would be competing with these same people.

jgomez

« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2004, 09:41:47 AM »
If things were even you would be competing with these same people.

I'm all for AA but didn't look at it this way.  Good point.

ryanjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2004, 08:26:32 PM »
Would you be able to put yourself down as "black" on an application even if you're white? I mean, if it's really a clear advantage, why not say you're black and get into Harvard with mediocre stats?

DESI

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2004, 08:32:08 PM »
because you'll be kicked out for lying on your application.  then your entire legal career will be screwed. 

if you're mediocre, then you being white is no different than you being black, spanish, asian, or whatever.  you're mediocre.  straight up.

Seminolegrl305

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2004, 09:33:17 PM »
Sonnygun I feel very offend by the way you characterized minorities as "using a crutch". If you did not know and understand minorities have grown up with plenty of things that the majority has had (i.e education).Therfore, some minorities have to work harder then the normal individual to receive higher test scores. You can not clssify a group on the basis of what you think without living daily trying to reach a goal that seems impossible. ;D

cal99813

• Yahoo Instant Messenger - chizad72
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »
I have no idea why I am posting on this subject seeing that whatever I am about to say will creates enemies but why not....

The way I see it is AA is meant to be used to benefit those who grew up without an opportunity to excell based on factors outside of their influence (ie neighborhood, schooling, etc)  In that case I believe that AA is great becuase it helps make up for some of those factors and people that really want to get out of that situation can by working hard.  If someone grows up without much money they of course are not going to be able to afford a very expensive LSAT prep course. 

On the other hand I believe that it overbenefits those minorities that have grown up in the upper middle class or upper class that has access to the same resources or more so than everyone else.  So in that case I do not agree with AA because people like myself who have worked very hard and who have not had access to vast resources will often be overlooked if my credentials are the same as a minority applicant who has spent tons of time (which he/she has because they don't have to work) and money preparing for law school.

In conclusion people can say good and bad things and rationalize AA as being the best or worst thing for them but in the end there are plusses and minuses that will never be agreed upon by everyone.... so if you benefit from it that is great and if not....that sucks, no amount of complaining will help so deal.

It is better to try something great and fail rather than to try nothing great and succeed

be10dwn

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2004, 06:30:51 PM »
Would you be able to put yourself down as "black" on an application even if you're white? I mean, if it's really a clear advantage, why not say you're black and get into Harvard with mediocre stats?

Wasn't there a movie about that?  LOL  Soul Man?