Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I wait a year?  (Read 765 times)

chrisfield

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Should I wait a year?
« on: February 28, 2006, 07:55:01 PM »
Multiple LSAT's: 155 and 164.  GPA will be about 3.65 at graduation.  Assuming that (worse case but very possible) I get rejected from UNC, Texas, Notre Dame, and Illinois, should I sit out a year and take the LSAT for a third time?  I feel sure that I can get at least another 164 if not a couple points higher.  Would an increase in my average make that much of a difference (along with getting my applications in much earlier this time).  My life goal is to do public interest law but I am not sure where.  I would be interested in working in DC with justice project stuff or some national poverty group but I would also be fine with working for the poor in most any city.

Please help me.

By the way, if I took a year off, I would do something really cool that looked good :)

Mr. Pink

  • LSD Obsessed
  • *****
  • Posts: 9939
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 08:31:06 PM »
I say no...go to the best school you got accepted to.  If you can then transfer.
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

gameswizard

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 159
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 08:45:20 PM »
if you do not want to do biglaw or corporate law than I say take the money and tech.  It will mean less debt, and a year sooner that you can begin "helping the poor".  I mean I am an aggie and I am suggesting Tech, it is not often that that will happen.  Good luck!

chrisfield

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 08:18:36 AM »
I say no...go to the best school you got accepted to.  If you can then transfer.

My wife will be teaching so it would be a huge pain for her to have to change jobs, start over, etc.  This is why I would prefer not to transfer.

chrisfield

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 08:19:40 AM »
if you do not want to do biglaw or corporate law than I say take the money and tech.  It will mean less debt, and a year sooner that you can begin "helping the poor".  I mean I am an aggie and I am suggesting Tech, it is not often that that will happen.  Good luck!

I think I would be happy at Tech (especially with no debt) but I am just afraid that a degree from there will make me stuck in Texas for the rest of my life.  That scares me a bit.

queencruella

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 4213
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:22:28 AM »
Teaching is a relatively easy job to move with, though, assuming she starts the search early enough before the school year starts.  In addition, I don't think it looks all that great to take the LSAT 3 times, not to mention the fact that it'll be extremely difficult to get a score that will make your average high enough to be at the median for the schools you want to attend.  

chrisfield

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:34:46 AM »
Teaching is a relatively easy job to move with, though, assuming she starts the search early enough before the school year starts.  In addition, I don't think it looks all that great to take the LSAT 3 times, not to mention the fact that it'll be extremely difficult to get a score that will make your average high enough to be at the median for the schools you want to attend.  

Thanks queencruella.  So where would I need to be in my class to be able to transfer and how high up could I expect to go?

queencruella

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 4213
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 09:01:05 AM »
You'll probably need to be in the top 5 to 10% of your class to be considered for a transfer.  I'm not really sure that Texas Tech is the best choice for you, just because the options aren't really going to be there if you end up staying for 3 years.  FSU may be a good choice for you since it's up and coming and very government/PI oriented and you'll get in-state tuition after a year, so your loans shouldn't be totally unmanageable.

chrisfield

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 1220
  • Texas Tech ---> Fall 2006
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 09:05:05 AM »
Yeah, that's what I have been thinking.  Florida State or Tennessee seem like my best bets so far.  I don't want to count on being in the top 5-10% of my class which is why I would rather wait a year than try to transfer.

I feel sure I could make at least another 164 on the LSAT if not even around a 166.  I only studied about 8 weeks before I took it last time.  A 166 would bring me up to a 162 average and my GPA would be around 3.65 when I graduated.  Would three scores (155, 164, 166) and a 3.65 give me any chance in heck at many T30 schools if I had everything in ED and EA?  I guess this is my main struggle right now.

queencruella

  • Sr. Citizen
  • ****
  • Posts: 4213
    • View Profile
Re: Should I wait a year?
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:23:50 AM »
I honestly don't think that schools look fondly upon a person who takes the LSAT 3 times. You'd need to be out of the score band (168+) for it to be statistically significant. Notre Dame is hard to get in even if you are at the median (you'd need an average of 165), and with state schools you're probably held to a slightly higher standard than state residents and would need to have a high average there as well.