Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bash UCLA here  (Read 9874 times)

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Bash UCLA here
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2006, 07:32:45 PM »
NYC sucks!  :D

yeah- what now

lau

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2006, 08:12:46 PM »
UCLA is awesome, I would so go there if I had gotten in. Even though it and USC are closely ranked, I would recommend UCLA due to the area. I'm sure that USC has a better faculty:student ratio and more personalized attention, and I agree with Vainglory on several points, such as beaurocratic red tape, and less school spirit and loyal alumni at UCLA vs. USC.

However, you can't really put a price on clean air! And you will definitely need a car at USC just so you can leave campus. I rode the bus while in undergrad at UCLA and managed to get around. Riding the bus from USC to anyplace would be a scary experience and not recommended.

riding the bus from USC is not scary.  :P
CLS '09.
LSN

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2006, 10:22:22 PM »
UCLA is awesome, I would so go there if I had gotten in. Even though it and USC are closely ranked, I would recommend UCLA due to the area. I'm sure that USC has a better faculty:student ratio and more personalized attention, and I agree with Vainglory on several points, such as beaurocratic red tape, and less school spirit and loyal alumni at UCLA vs. USC.

However, you can't really put a price on clean air! And you will definitely need a car at USC just so you can leave campus. I rode the bus while in undergrad at UCLA and managed to get around. Riding the bus from USC to anyplace would be a scary experience and not recommended.

riding the bus from USC is not scary.  :P

Agree.  USC has it's own fleet of buses to take people around campus and to public transportation stops.  For the most part, people who take public transportation are good working folks who are not looking for trouble.  If a mother and take her child on the bus at 2AM, a fully grown adult ready for law school should be able to do the same.
Bruin once again.

Towlie

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2006, 10:25:44 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I don't mean to say NYorkers or people on the East Coast are mean.  Just the opposite.  I just feel they are more genuine than people in LA and that their feelings are more true and visible.

This is different from being polite, where you truely are respectful of others regardless of who they are.  People in LA pretend to be more PC because they feel they have to be, where people on East Coast are PC if they really are.  That's the difference I have felt living on both coasts.

I'm an East Coaster who prefers the Left Coast. People there are just more laid back and the weather rocks.

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2006, 03:50:38 AM »

4)Not UCLA's fault.  With Beverly Hills right next door, you get people like that.  Fine, I'll give you one thing about people in LA being superficial (if they don't like you, they can hide it well, unlike in NY -- they scream at you).

Alright, while I don't care for the East vs. West coast tone that is apparent in the attitudes of many people on both sides of the argument (because I truly love NY and LA), this is one thing I will say I hate about NY and NYers.  I come from Southern/Western stock, and whether or not that is why, I was raised to be polite.  I think if you don't like someone, you can still be friendly and nice to them.  I call that polite.  People around here call it superficial.  I have had a lot of people at Columbia not like me because I am supposedly "superficial", and I have disliked a lot of people because I can't handle the unforgiving manner in which they let you know how they really feel about you.

I understand, of course, that there are other elements contributing to LA's reputation for superficiality - the emphasis on youth & beauty at any cost, mainly.  But being nice to everybody is just basic decency, and it sure makes life a lot more pleasant - I'm glad LA has figured that part out. 

I'm not from New York, but I am from the northeast (and I've spent a few years in the south), and I've got to say, the fake nice pisses me off.  Don't get me wrong, some people are geniunely extraordinarily nice, but a lot of people are just insincerely friendly.  SO annoying.

just had to jump in and say that I agree with this.  First off, I think NYers get a bump wrap for being mean. Well that's not the case.  The fact is, in NY and the NE for that matter, people don't feel the need to be nice to people they don't know.  Yet, if stop someone in the street and ask them a question, they will help you.  That's one thing I hate about the south--if you don't stop and wave and converse, you are seen as a feminine hygiene product, which is ridiculous.

i would rather people be polite than rude jsut because they dont know you.  Maybe they arent being fake, they just aren't being rude like you are used to, so you assume they are being insincere.  People dont have to be assholes to be "real"

I don't have a bad thing to say about UCLA, but as a Los Angelino who grew up right near UCLA, i can tell you LA people are the most fake of any I have met...

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2006, 12:56:10 PM »

4)Not UCLA's fault.  With Beverly Hills right next door, you get people like that.  Fine, I'll give you one thing about people in LA being superficial (if they don't like you, they can hide it well, unlike in NY -- they scream at you).

Alright, while I don't care for the East vs. West coast tone that is apparent in the attitudes of many people on both sides of the argument (because I truly love NY and LA), this is one thing I will say I hate about NY and NYers.  I come from Southern/Western stock, and whether or not that is why, I was raised to be polite.  I think if you don't like someone, you can still be friendly and nice to them.  I call that polite.  People around here call it superficial.  I have had a lot of people at Columbia not like me because I am supposedly "superficial", and I have disliked a lot of people because I can't handle the unforgiving manner in which they let you know how they really feel about you.

I understand, of course, that there are other elements contributing to LA's reputation for superficiality - the emphasis on youth & beauty at any cost, mainly.  But being nice to everybody is just basic decency, and it sure makes life a lot more pleasant - I'm glad LA has figured that part out. 

I'm not from New York, but I am from the northeast (and I've spent a few years in the south), and I've got to say, the fake nice pisses me off.  Don't get me wrong, some people are geniunely extraordinarily nice, but a lot of people are just insincerely friendly.  SO annoying.

just had to jump in and say that I agree with this.  First off, I think NYers get a bump wrap for being mean. Well that's not the case.  The fact is, in NY and the NE for that matter, people don't feel the need to be nice to people they don't know.  Yet, if stop someone in the street and ask them a question, they will help you.  That's one thing I hate about the south--if you don't stop and wave and converse, you are seen as a feminine hygiene product, which is ridiculous.

i would rather people be polite than rude jsut because they dont know you.  Maybe they arent being fake, they just aren't being rude like you are used to, so you assume they are being insincere.  People dont have to be assholes to be "real"

I don't have a bad thing to say about UCLA, but as a Los Angelino who grew up right near UCLA, i can tell you LA people are the most fake of any I have met...

If you grew up in B.H./WeHo/Westwood/The Valley, this doesn't suprise me. :) It's like saying all new yorkers are fake because you grew up in the upper east side...

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2006, 06:23:45 PM »
I'm gonna defend UCLA...... and refute your arguments.
First of all, unless you are or have been a former student, you really don't know the magic of Westwood.

The title of the thread is "Bash UCLA" and I wasn't "making arguments" I was stating uncontrovertible facts, get with the program.

And yes Ive been a student there, and no Westwood is not magical, except for 1 AM burritos at Buck Fifties, that sh*t is cathartic.

Whatever you say.
Bruin once again.

HK

• Sr. Citizen
  • One country, Two Systems...
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ZacharyJL
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2006, 10:07:41 PM »

If you grew up in B.H./WeHo/Westwood/The Valley, this doesn't suprise me. :) It's like saying all new yorkers are fake because you grew up in the upper east side...

Haha...good point :)

denk

• Sr. Citizen
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - music_art_pdx
    • View Profile
    • My Pre-law blog
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2006, 05:59:46 AM »
It sounds like UCLA is the anti-Portland.  Up here in Oregon, there's a real anti-Californian sentiment.