Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bash UCLA here  (Read 10475 times)

joespecial

Re: Bash UCLA here
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 05:49:30 PM »
And really its not the money or status thats the problem its that everybody tries to emulate it, some more consciously than others, but its prevelant enough to slant the whole campus culture in that direction.  Its a wierd phenomenon, and I attribute it to the show biz industry.

I think this is a Los Angeles thing as opposed to a UCLA thing. It seems like everyone in L.A. wants to be in the movie industry, or has some tenuous connection to it, like they are a gardener for Sylvester Stallone or something. It is kind of amusing actually.

chillindave

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 02:21:29 PM »
Yup the secretaries at the studio companies say they're in the "film industry."

random1L

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 11:33:41 PM »
I have friends at both schools & it is easier to come out on top of the curve at USC- a lot of kids there got in b/c their dads donate a lot of money and are paying their way so they have less incentive to work hard- since they will be taking over for dad.

USC has a "softer curve" although I believe UCLA just lowered theres to ease the burden.  Also, I go to a law school with a lot of Asians & this may and should come off badly- but they are impossible to compete with.  They stick together- helping only each other out- and study at obscene rates.  And there is definately some animosity raised by it. 

But UCLA is more prestigious

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2006, 04:43:05 AM »
Do you go to UCLA?

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2006, 05:29:50 AM »
My incarcerated business partner's retarded niece went to UCLA Law.

But seriously heres some reasons not to go:

1. The hills suck, you have to walk uphill both ways to and from the law school
2. They let any whack ass with a political/religious cause that wants to come picket 
   on campus and shout insults at you on your way to class.
3. The people are boring as hell
4. All of westwood (and LA for that matter) is permeated by this sick "showbiz wanna
   be" aura where everyone tries to pretend they have more money than they do and
   worry about being seen at the "hip" places, in the sheik clothes, where the
   beautifull people hang out 
  (dont believe me? You can find a movie/tv crew somewhere on campus most every week).
5. The administration have a vastly over inflated sense of self importance
6. The people at the student health center are downright hostile
7. The grad housing is 5 miles from campus
8. Traffic everywhere
9. Parking nowhere (most side streets have a two hour limit which is rigidly enforced)
10.Sure the beach is five miles, but in LA it takes 45 minutes to drive those 5 miles
11.You have to hike or drive to the grocery store
12.The school sponsored events suck
13.The footbal games are played in Pasadena (30 miles away)
14.Loyola, Southwestern, and USC all have campuses closer to downtown where the big   
   firms are
15.There are no courts anywhere near campus
16.You'll need a car to get to your internships/externships
17.They have a high incidence of auto theft around campus
18.The bars in Westwood suck

Really though #4 is the worst, its difficuklt to describe but it worms its way into everything, even people that have no hollywood aspirations get influenced by the foul pulse. Even folks with modest incomes will be running around with Louis Vuitton bags and driving round in BWMs.

I'm gonna defend UCLA...... and refute your arguments.
First of all, unless you are or have been a former student, you really don't know the magic of Westwood.
1) The hill doesn't suck. Not only does it add to the beauty of the campus, it lets people get fit.  It's time America get off its fat ass and do something physical.
2)What happened to defending the Constitution? Do you not believe in it?
3)That's because all the fun people went to the beach, museums, parks, mountains, bars, and local nearby attractions.  Why was your source stuck on campus? Talka bout boring...
4)Not UCLA's fault.  With Beverly Hills right next door, you get people like that.  Fine, I'll give you one thing about people in LA being superficial (if they don't like you, they can hide it well, unlike in NY -- they scream at you).
5)That's because UCLA recruits from the East Coast for administrators.  I'll let this one rest.
6)What do you expect from almost free care? $900 a year for health insurance, can you really complaint?
7)The grad housing is 1 mile away, not 5.  The family housing is 5 miles in Palms.  But have you checked the price?  It's bargin in West LA.  We're not in Kansas anymore.
8)That just shows that EVERYONE wants to be in LA.
9)Most people don't know this, but let me tell you. The parking problem isn't just the school doesn't want people to have spaces.  It's more complicated than that.  California Air Quality Management Board dictates how much pollution an entity can produce in a given year.  UCLA is the number 1 polluter in LA.  It actually  gets fined to not cut down on pollution.  Why do you think it heavily subsidize the public transportation and carpool services?
It's trying to be environmentally friendly, but being the largest organization in LA, it's nearly impossible.
10)Bike to the beach in less time.
11)The problem is?
12)see number 3) above
13)How can you complain about the Rose Bowl? 
14)Never heard of Century City? Never heard of Beverly Hills or Santa Monica?
15)Are you planning to break the law? 
16)You need a car anywhere in L.A., OC, SD.  Just about anywhere in California you need to have a car.
17)As compared to NYC, Philly, Boston.....
18)If the bar is what you look forward to, then yes, UCLA does suck.
Bruin once again.

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2006, 01:07:45 PM »
[quote author=Momo09 link=topic=55550.msg1304045#msg1304045
1) The hill doesn't suck. Not only does it add to the beauty of the campus, it lets people get fit.  It's time America get off its fat ass and do something physical.

i gotta agree with this one...everyday i get a good work out walking across campus from the dorms to Dodd (next to the law school)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2006, 02:45:48 PM »

4)Not UCLA's fault.  With Beverly Hills right next door, you get people like that.  Fine, I'll give you one thing about people in LA being superficial (if they don't like you, they can hide it well, unlike in NY -- they scream at you).

Alright, while I don't care for the East vs. West coast tone that is apparent in the attitudes of many people on both sides of the argument (because I truly love NY and LA), this is one thing I will say I hate about NY and NYers.  I come from Southern/Western stock, and whether or not that is why, I was raised to be polite.  I think if you don't like someone, you can still be friendly and nice to them.  I call that polite.  People around here call it superficial.  I have had a lot of people at Columbia not like me because I am supposedly "superficial", and I have disliked a lot of people because I can't handle the unforgiving manner in which they let you know how they really feel about you.

I understand, of course, that there are other elements contributing to LA's reputation for superficiality - the emphasis on youth & beauty at any cost, mainly.  But being nice to everybody is just basic decency, and it sure makes life a lot more pleasant - I'm glad LA has figured that part out. 

I'm not from New York, but I am from the northeast (and I've spent a few years in the south), and I've got to say, the fake nice pisses me off.  Don't get me wrong, some people are geniunely extraordinarily nice, but a lot of people are just insincerely friendly.  SO annoying.

just had to jump in and say that I agree with this.  First off, I think NYers get a bump wrap for being mean. Well that's not the case.  The fact is, in NY and the NE for that matter, people don't feel the need to be nice to people they don't know.  Yet, if stop someone in the street and ask them a question, they will help you.  That's one thing I hate about the south--if you don't stop and wave and converse, you are seen as a feminine hygiene product, which is ridiculous.
Columbia 3L

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2006, 04:53:19 PM »

Alright, while I don't care for the East vs. West coast tone that is apparent in the attitudes of many people on both sides of the argument (because I truly love NY and LA), this is one thing I will say I hate about NY and NYers.  I come from Southern/Western stock, and whether or not that is why, I was raised to be polite.  I think if you don't like someone, you can still be friendly and nice to them.  I call that polite.  People around here call it superficial.  I have had a lot of people at Columbia not like me because I am supposedly "superficial", and I have disliked a lot of people because I can't handle the unforgiving manner in which they let you know how they really feel about you.

I understand, of course, that there are other elements contributing to LA's reputation for superficiality - the emphasis on youth & beauty at any cost, mainly.  But being nice to everybody is just basic decency, and it sure makes life a lot more pleasant - I'm glad LA has figured that part out. 

I'm not from New York, but I am from the northeast (and I've spent a few years in the south), and I've got to say, the fake nice pisses me off.  Don't get me wrong, some people are geniunely extraordinarily nice, but a lot of people are just insincerely friendly.  SO annoying.

just had to jump in and say that I agree with this.  First off, I think NYers get a bump wrap for being mean. Well that's not the case.  The fact is, in NY and the NE for that matter, people don't feel the need to be nice to people they don't know.  Yet, if stop someone in the street and ask them a question, they will help you.  That's one thing I hate about the south--if you don't stop and wave and converse, you are seen as a feminine hygiene product, which is ridiculous.

i would rather people be polite than rude jsut because they dont know you.  Maybe they arent being fake, they just aren't being rude like you are used to, so you assume they are being insincere.  People dont have to be assholes to be "real"

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2006, 05:10:10 PM »

i would rather people be polite than rude jsut because they dont know you.  Maybe they arent being fake, they just aren't being rude like you are used to, so you assume they are being insincere.  People dont have to be assholes to be "real"

New Yorkers are polite...I said, that if you stop someone in the street bc you need help, they will help, not snarl at you and walk away.  Polite=/=unecessary niceness.
Columbia 3L

Momo09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2006, 05:30:08 PM »
Don't get me wrong.  I don't mean to say NYorkers or people on the East Coast are mean.  Just the opposite.  I just feel they are more genuine than people in LA and that their feelings are more true and visible.

This is different from being polite, where you truely are respectful of others regardless of who they are.  People in LA pretend to be more PC because they feel they have to be, where people on East Coast are PC if they really are.  That's the difference I have felt living on both coasts.

Bruin once again.