Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bash UCLA here  (Read 9907 times)

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Bash UCLA here
« on: February 28, 2006, 07:33:47 PM »
Ok- I am seriously considering attending UCLA (and UT to a lesser extent, see other thread).

This is a thread that you can use to bash UCLA and convince me that I shouldn't go there.  I already know most of the positives- so tell me why UCLA sucks!

WfPck05

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bash UCLA here
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 10:58:46 PM »
Housing is outrageous and so is parking... $2/h for the meters by the law school I mean really

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2006, 02:03:30 AM »
maybe i should put this on xoxo; they are great at bashing things

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 02:25:48 PM »
i don't want this to turn into a positive thread  ;D but i will say this about ucla:

amazing location- <5 miles from the beach

wonderful (seemingly) career services with (according to them) the fairly easy ability to get internships in DC, NYC, Boston, etc (because no one signs up for those firms- they all want to stay in socal)

great faculty- the two classes i sat in on were very interesting.  the lawyering skills class seemed like a "relaxing" class  ;).

students- the students in the class went out of their way to talk to me about the class and the school.  they seemed very "uncompetitive" yet focused.  you could tell, however, that there were some ppl in the section that were not liked b/c of their obviously dumb or worthless comments.

those are the highlights.  maybe that can give everyone some points to attack  (like their 25% salary figure)

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 02:39:45 PM »
They can't beat USC.

California's going to fall off into the ocean someday. Do YOU want to be there when it happens?

i was wondering where you were kruddler

Skeptic

• Sr. Citizen
  • I need Radiohead tickets for show in L.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 01:19:00 PM »
shae,

im an undergrad there and i'll tell what i hate about UCLA

1) i wont get into UCLA Law
2) westwood is so congested with traffic, try leaving the area, sheesh, its horrid.  405 freeway turns into a parking lot around 4pm.
3) after some years there, i want to move to a non-hectic area, where people aren't so self centered and stuck up.  Most students at UCLA are not representative of the people from los angeles.
4) living expense, even though tuition is unbeatable

notice how i cant complain about the faculty or programs. some of them changed my life in so many ways.  plus, i took advantage of the awesome insurance they offer students for like 400 a yr. you have access to the worlds greatest doctors/dentists.  (i got my teeth fixed for free!)

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2006, 10:11:42 AM »
One of UCLA's nicknames in the area is University of Caucasians Lost among Asians.

I thought that was pretty funny.

Vainglory

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2006, 09:48:19 PM »
My friend from UCLA says that all the hot girls go to USC (although I dated a UCLA chick, so you might want to take that with some rock salt). 

The university, as with any public university, is full of miles and miles of red tape.

Public education funding has been tight, and UCLA undergrad is beginning to drop everywhere but their reputation, which, I think will only take a little time to catch up.  Is the law school dropping too?  I'm not sure, but certain factors come into play across the board.

UCLA doesn't have the extensive network of highly-spirited alumni that a place like USC does.  It's not a diploma mill, but people move on, making getting your foot in the door at jobs a bit more difficult for UCLA than for USC.

UCLA can't match some other schools in certain areas of specialty, which you might want to look at if you're set on one.

UCLA football can't beat USC, and even though they were pretty good last year, don't expect any sort of dynasty.

And reason no. 1 that I hate UCLA:

I didn't get in.
Takin the checkered: Minnesota, UIUC, Florida, FSU, Wake Forest, Duke
In the pits: Notre Dame, Northwestern
Crashed out: UCLA, Michigan, GULC, Chicago, UVA

Green flag: http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Vainglory

piggy-buttercup

• Sr. Citizen
  • hi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2006, 09:54:38 PM »
you will be surrounded by thin and pretty people. hence if you are even a little bit overweight you will look much fatter..  :o

shae

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2006, 11:15:42 PM »
My friend from UCLA says that all the hot girls go to USC (although I dated a UCLA chick, so you might want to take that with some rock salt). 

The university, as with any public university, is full of miles and miles of red tape.

Public education funding has been tight, and UCLA undergrad is beginning to drop everywhere but their reputation, which, I think will only take a little time to catch up.  Is the law school dropping too?  I'm not sure, but certain factors come into play across the board.

UCLA doesn't have the extensive network of highly-spirited alumni that a place like USC does.  It's not a diploma mill, but people move on, making getting your foot in the door at jobs a bit more difficult for UCLA than for USC.

UCLA can't match some other schools in certain areas of specialty, which you might want to look at if you're set on one.

UCLA football can't beat USC, and even though they were pretty good last year, don't expect any sort of dynasty.

And reason no. 1 that I hate UCLA:

I didn't get in.

I did ask about the CA budget crisis- they said it is not affecting them because they don't get much state funding anyways.