Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Legal Internship  (Read 1682 times)

Maxwell

• ICQ Messenger - 53126639
    • MSN Messenger - whitese2@tcnj.edu
    • AOL Instant Messenger - AdmiralMaxwell
    • View Profile
    • The United Council - A Utopian Alliance
    • Email
Legal Internship
« on: July 28, 2004, 04:07:10 PM »
I am a Philosophy student at The College of New Jersey. I am interested in a career in law, but I am having trouble obtaining an internship in a law office. I'm sure the experienced students here will have some tips for me. Feel free to contact me on MSN: whitese2@tcnj.edu or AIM: AdmiralMaxwell

Thanks.

mkagan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Legal Internship
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »
adcomms like students who dont work in law firms over the summer, so dont stress yourself out finding one...

as for me, i got my job by emailing the CEO (i didnt know he was the ceo, or else i wouldnt have emailed him)...people dont recommend that approach, but hey, it worked for me
I think pickles are cucumbers that sold out. They sold their soul to the devil, and the devil is dill...

Lanya

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 10:00:47 PM »
I would look in your university's newspaper, in the "job opportunities" section.  At my university, the daily newspaper always lists a lot of possible employment opportunities related to law for students.

legends159

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2005, 01:04:03 AM »
I guess it would delve into the whole "rounded student" thing, though I do not feel that adcomms would particulary disapprove of it, maybe they would rather see other fields of WE.

NoelleMyBelle

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »
If you are wanting to work in a law firm to see if you might like being a lawyer, I think that's a great idea.  Are you wanting a paid or unpaid internship?  Unpaid should be a breeze to find, paid will be more difficult but not impossible.

Go to your school's career center and/or alumni office and tell them you are looking for someone who graduated from your school and is now a praciticing attorney.  Get a list, research firms/agencies and then write up cover letters.  Tell the prospective employers that if they don't have openings for an intern, you'd at least like to have lunch sometime and get a fresh perspective on their practice.  Most people are flattered by this and having graduated from the same school will give you an immediate connection.  :)  Networking is key, my friend.