Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grading Profiles  (Read 1373 times)

Quintana

• View Profile
Grading Profiles
« on: February 28, 2006, 06:46:30 PM »
  Any one know a good source for finding the grading profiles for a school?  For scholarship purposes I'd like to know what percentile a 3.25 GPA at Hofstra would leave you in.  Any help/links would be great...
Attending Brooklyn Law School

roytrotsky

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Grading Profiles
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 06:30:34 PM »
Hey I am also trying to figure out what percentile the 3.25 would leave a student in at Hofstra as I got a scholarship much like I'm sure you did.  Please let me know if you find out.  Thanks

Quintana

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 07:32:19 PM »
Hey I am also trying to figure out what percentile the 3.25 would leave a student in at Hofstra as I got a scholarship much like I'm sure you did.  Please let me know if you find out.  Thanks

Roy, I called Hofstra a couple of months ago to ask this question.  After giving me the ol' run-around (not to be confused with the ol' reach-around ;)) I was told that they would be implementing a new curve and they weren't sure where a 3.25 would fall.  I would call them up if I were you and be pretty insistent, maybe you'll be able to pry it out of them.   
Attending Brooklyn Law School

DougLlewellyn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 08:35:26 PM »
  Any one know a good source for finding the grading profiles for a school?  For scholarship purposes I'd like to know what percentile a 3.25 GPA at Hofstra would leave you in.  Any help/links would be great...

I was in a similar situation. 

The University of Minnesota offered scholarship and fellowship money that was contingent on my maintaining a 3.33 gpa.  The grading percentile cut-offs were not posted on any of the "prospective students" or "visitors" areas of their web site.  However, I looked at the area for prospective employers in the career services section and found the cut-off gpa's for each quartile for the two most recent classes.  So despite Minnesota choosing not to publicize class ranking, they thought it necessary to provide enough information about their grading curve to give employers a sense of which quartile a given GPA would fall into. 

That information was enough to determine that I would have to rank in the top 1/4 or so to keep my grant money.  My suggestion might not work, but it is worth a try.  Also, I called Minnesota afterward to see what they had to say about the requirement and the admissions director I talked to said that she was surprised that more people didn't ask.  Be direct with Hofstra if you need to and do everything that you can to make a fully informed decision.

I found the the gpa requirement I was given to be too risky.  Minnesota refused to lower it and I declined their offer.  Again, find out all you can about the grading at Hofstra before enrolling. 

Edit:  I see you already called them.  Maybe try again and have them tell you what the curve was during the most recent 3-5 years.  Some information is better than nothing at this point.  

tuliphead

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 08:46:40 PM »
Doug,

The average grade in every course at Minnesota is a 3.33.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 09:08:58 PM »
Although it varies from year to year & the info I have doesn't include Hofstra, maybe this info will be of assistance to some people: http://www.nyls.edu/pages/3782.asp
NYLS posts some of the grade curves for other NY schools. I guess it's supposed to show that their grades aren't as inflated and that really "means something" (even though it really doesn't to employers).
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

DougLlewellyn

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 09:16:56 PM »
Doug,

The average grade in every course at Minnesota is a 3.33.

Look at the website I referenced or ask the admissions office.  I was explicitly told by Julie Tigges that a 3.33 would be at about the top 25% of the class.

The data indicated that averages below 3.33 were well within the top half of the class.  I will look up the info again and post with specifics later tonight.

DougLlewellyn

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 09:53:05 PM »
As promised:

University of Minnesota Law School

Class of 2006

First Quartile:  3.359-3.980
Second Quartile: 3.167-3.358
Third Quartile:  2.883-3.166
Fourth Quartile: 2.882-

Class of 2007

First Quartile:  3.420-4.197
Second Quartile: 3.198-3.419
Third Quartile:  2.914-3.197
Fourth Quartile: 2.913-

I found this in the school's official guidlines.

12.41 Every instructor of a first year class must calculate the first year grades so that the average (mean) for that class is between 3.0 and 3.330

Finally, 3.33 and above qualifies for Cum laude.  With all of this in mind, I doubt that the average grade in every course is a 3.33

tuliphead

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 11:27:24 PM »
Doug,

The policy to enforce the 3.33 mandatory mean was not in place in 2003 when the class of 2006 started law school.

Last years 1L class something like a 3.46 was the top 1/4.

DougLlewellyn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2006, 12:03:38 AM »
Doug,

The policy to enforce the 3.33 mandatory mean was not in place in 2003 when the class of 2006 started law school.

Last years 1L class something like a 3.46 was the top 1/4.

I don't mean to appear argumentative or hijack the OP's thread, but I brought up the Minnesota example and I have no reason to BS or flame about what the law school published or what the admission office told me over the phone.

I still don't know anything about this 3.33 mandatory mean policy you mentioned.  The 3.33 mandatory mean policy you mentioned would totally contradict Julie Tigges.  She told me that I would need to place at about the top 1/4 of the class to keep my scholarship and fellowship grants.  Given the other evidence I cited, am I to assume that she doesn't know what the hell she is talking about?

The grading mandate I cited earlier regarding means in first year classes is current to my knowledge.  The classes I cited were also the most recent ones available when I considered their offer.  My evidence is on the table.

Again, for the classes of 2007 and beyond, students with grade point averages of 3.33-3.49 recieve their degree cum laude.  Does this seem consistent with a school that enforces a mandatory mean in every course of 3.33?