Yay, I can now join the club of those who've called and gotten dinged!
You know what? Despite the fact that Boalt was my unofficial first choice, I'm really glad I called and got the answer on my terms rather than waiting around and agonizing until next week. I hadn't wanted to call yesterday, what with the apparent barrage that was going on. But then LSN today showed people with numbers around and higher than my own getting dings, and I figured that it was becoming crazy to sit around for the next week, hoping that the acceptance email would pop up in my inbox at any moment, or at least before I got the call from my mom that a small envelope had arrived in the mail.
Therefore, for anyone agonizing, I heartily recommend giving them a call. Even though I am certainly disappointed with the outcome, I also feel like a huge burden's been lifted and I'm now looking forward to better exploring my other options.