Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Paralegal vs. Lawyer  (Read 73564 times)

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paralegal vs. Lawyer
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2009, 02:47:53 AM »
Being new to this forum, I was interested to read this thread that was revived. I was a paralegal for 18 years in medium and large firms. I also taught paralegal courses as an adjunct instructor at two local colleges. When I first started out, I was asked in interviews how many words a minute I could type (not many) and did I know shorthand (no! anad some of you may not even know what shorthand is). Those firms needed a secretary and that wasn't me. I never thought of it as "just a job". I've been fortunate to work with great attorneys and learn fundatmentals from them.  Through my career (notice I didn't say "jobs"), I worked in a lot of different areas and gained experience in real estate, worker's compensation, personal injury, complex litigation, RICO actions, fraud cases and employment discrimination. I had all the stress that the attorneys had and put in plenty of overtime. I worked myself into a great niche and with the last firm I worked in, I prepared cases for mediation/arbitration and trial and put together the presenations that were used to present our case. I sat in ADR and trial and worked closely with the attorney and client. There were many times I was in the office or working when the attorney wasn't. So to say that a paralegal inevitably works less hours depends on the kind of work that s/he does. I worked with some who were strict 8:30 am to 5:00 pm and that was it. I was accepted to law school 10 years ago, but it wasn't the right time for me. (My brother was fighting cancer and in that period of time, I had my own severe health problems to deal with). Now is a good time for me and I'm headed to the Class of 2012. And you know what? All the years in my paralegal career have prepared me and will make me a better attorney. Because of the exposure I've gained, I know exactly what area of law I want to practice and what I don't, I know what to expect day-to-day, and I know how to treat a staff.

Just don't be the douchey ex-paralegal gunner for the first semester. Everyone hates that guy. ;)
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

LALawyer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2009, 05:17:02 PM »
FYI interesting study ranking paralegal assistants as being a better job than an attorney or a federal judge!

Paralegals Outrank Lawyers on Best Jobs List
Posted Jan 8, 2009, 10:01 am CST   

By Debra Cassens Weiss

Much is made of the fact that federal judges must make substantial financial sacrifices when they leave private law practice.

But the editors of a new best jobs list believe it’s better to be a federal judge, and better still to be a paralegal assistant. Lawyers were ranked 82nd on the list of best jobs by the new job site CareerCast.com. Federal judges were 69th on the list and paralegal assistants 17th, just below meteorologists and medical laboratory technicians.

Lawyers and stockbrokers, ranked 84th, both did poorly, and the reason is stress, the editors say. “Attorneys and stockbrokers may earn considerably more than bookbinders or telephone repair technicians [ranked 83rd and 81st respectively], but these high-powered careers are hurt by anxiety, as both rank among the 20 most stressful jobs on our list.”

The list puts annual income at $109, 207 for lawyers, at $152,027 for federal judges and at $46,155 for paralegals. The figures were derived by combining midlevel income with income growth potential. Besides income and stress, the rankings considered job environment, employment outlook and physical demands, according to a Wall Street Journal story profiling the list’s top job: mathematician.

The top 10 jobs on the list are:

Mathematician
Actuary
Statistician
Biologist
Software engineer
Computer systems analyst
Historian
Sociologist
Industrial designer
Accountant
The worst job on the list is lumberjack.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2009, 03:59:58 AM »
FYI interesting study ranking paralegal assistants as being a better job than an attorney or a federal judge!

Much is made of the fact that federal judges must make substantial financial sacrifices when they leave private law practice.

But the editors of a new best jobs list believe it’s better to be a federal judge, and better still to be a paralegal assistant.

The list puts annual income at $109, 207 for lawyers, at $152,027 for federal judges and at $46,155 for paralegals.

And that's why they're editors of an unheard of internet job site and not anyone that matters. By their logic, being the fry guy at McDonald's in a state that has a high minimum wage is a pretty solid job.

I'll take the extra stress and the six figures, thanks.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

perezr8

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 12:47:36 PM »
Here is how I would compare them

A lawyer is to a paralegal As a pimp is to a hoe.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2009, 12:27:31 PM »
Here is how I would compare them

A lawyer is to a paralegal As a pimp is to a hoe.

spoken like a person with no practical experience whatsoever  :P
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

perezr8

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 04, 2009, 05:31:57 PM »
hey its true a paralegal does alot of the work and half of the pay.

justanothersucker

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2011, 04:58:14 PM »
paralegals do lawyers busy work for them that they want to avoid (think the most anal parts of pretrial skills and LRW) but get paid the same as a manager at JCPenny.

If you have to question it, odds are you are looking for an excuse to copout and in the end you probably will.

If you have any ambition you wouldn't ask such a simple question.

SoCalLawGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2012, 03:44:26 AM »
Ambition is everything but I think all of you who already worked as paralegals gathered a lot of experience so I wouldn't say all time has been lost. You will surely be better lawyers than your bosses :)