Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should a LOR contain?  (Read 1933 times)

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
Re: What should a LOR contain?
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2004, 03:36:30 AM »
Swifty...can I ask you about what you said in response to "why do you want to go to law school?".

I am not real clear on what you are asking me??  My response to whom?  The professor didn't ask me why I want to go to law school, he already knows.   ???
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

!@#$%

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2004, 11:21:23 AM »
I gave my recommender my resume, a copy of my last performance evaluation (it was a professional rec and she had written the PR) and the following handout from the UVA Preprofessional advising office:

http://www.virginia.edu/career/grad/lawrecletter.doc

HTH

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2004, 11:02:49 PM »
So, in essence, our LORs dont need to mention which particular school we're applying to?  just a rec for law school in general, no specifics?

Gummie, Some people are using school oriented LOR's.  Mostly the higher ranked ones.  But let's say I want to study Environmental LAW at Vermont, I would need a school specific LOR
for that school.  So in essence, I would have to make my recommnders write, not just one, but several LOR's.  I don't have the heart to do this.  Montauk talks about this in his book, also, LSAC has just begun a new program that accepts school specific LOR's, so that may be a sign that all schools may not like a generic LOR.  Tough huh?  Frustrating for sure. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2004, 11:16:14 PM »
Is it a big no-no if the recommender does not date the letter?

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2004, 12:51:30 AM »
Is it a big no-no if the recommender does not date the letter?

A big no-no? probably, a disaster? no.  Did this happen to you?  I have never seen a letter of any sort without a date on it, I think the adcomms would scratch their heads a bit.  Not much help, I know.