Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What should a LOR contain?  (Read 1941 times)

maxse

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
What should a LOR contain?
« on: July 28, 2004, 02:54:55 PM »
Hi guys I have a question.  I asked one of my professors for a LOR she said yes. She wants me to tell her anything that is important for her to put in the letter. The thing is I have no clue. Could you guys help me out by telling me what is good ot have in that letter? Thakns...

Also is it ok if I recieved an A- in that class, and not an A?
In addition this is from a class that I am minoring in. I also got a LOR from a law professor. Niehter of this classes are my major though. I plan to get a third from my employer since I currently work at a law office. Does that sound ok, if none of the letters are form my major's class?

newy

Re: What should a LOR contain?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 08:51:42 PM »
My prof asked me the same thing.  Here's what I gave him:

- Briefly explain your position at --school--

-  Explain how long you’ve known me and in what capacity

- Choose two or three qualities that describe your opinion of me.  This could include evaluation of my abilities at writing, organizing, understanding abstract concepts, communication, and my diligence, perseverance, and determination.

- It should highlight why you feel this way about me, with a few details

-  It could assess my character on a more personal level like my honesty, leadership, maturity level or something more personality-oriented (like my winning smile)

- It could give a benchmark for comparing me to others with whom you’ve worked (“Newy is the coolest ever!!!”)

-  Because of all these reasons, you think that I will make valuable contributions to my law school and that I have the potential to be a great lawyer or something like this…

I think having an A- is no big deal at all, same with the prof being from your minor.  The most  important thing is that the prof can describe your qualifications and justify their description with examples.  This is what I've gathered from my research.

Good luck to you...

Edit: Be sure to tell them up front not to open the letter "Dear LSAC" :)

BlueGirl

• I miss the squirrel...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2004, 10:03:30 PM »
Be sure to tell them up front not to open the letter "Dear LSAC" :)

hehe
Good luck with that situation.  Anyways, that is an awesome list you made of things the professor can/should mention.  Thanks for sharing.

maxse

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 12:40:27 AM »
wait what envelope not to open?

Also should I use the standardized LSDAS recommendation form, or should I get the LOR form for each and every school that I want to apply to?

newy

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2004, 12:52:45 AM »
No, not the envelope.  I mean, when they write the letter, be sure to tell them to start it "To whom it may concern" or "Dear Admissions Committee" or something similar (I had a recommender write Dear LSAC).

maxse

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2004, 12:03:12 AM »
ok thanks. So do I use the forms from LSDAS, or I have to get each individual institutions form and do that?

dgatl

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2004, 03:04:22 PM »
use the LSDAS forms.  most schools prefer that.  only use the school one if you have a letter of recommendation that is specific to the school and program to which you are applying.

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2004, 07:53:40 PM »
The professor I chose gave me a B.  I suppose I could choose one who gave me an A, but I knew this professor very well, we talked a lot about me wanting to go to law school, the reasons, so he won't ask me what to write, he knows me too well.  He knows I worked hard in his class, and I personally learned more in his class than any other class I got an A in. The B to me is a non-issue and I know he won't mention it.  He will say something like he was one of my top students because.........without mentioning the grade. 
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

TheNewGuy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 07:29:58 PM »
Swifty...can I ask you about what you said in response to "why do you want to go to law school?".

Gummibearz

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - gummibearz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 05:33:36 AM »
So, in essence, our LORs dont need to mention which particular school we're applying to?  just a rec for law school in general, no specifics?
Attending:  Tulane, Class of 2008!