Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is there a Med School Numbers.com?  (Read 337 times)

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Is there a Med School Numbers.com?
« on: February 28, 2006, 11:46:00 AM »
 ???  Curious to know if there is a website similar to this or like www.lawschoolnumbers.com that is for Medical School people?

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Is there a Med School Numbers.com?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2006, 06:24:40 PM »
why are you asking about med school here?

to answer you questions, I know of no such site. 
Yale.Law.School.2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2006, 06:45:54 PM »
I wondered this a while back too.  Last year I had a roommate that was applying to medschool with a poor MCAT, but a very high MCAT writing score.  I looked around for a board to ask if anyone knew which schools cared more about that than others.  (I figured that perhaps like how Boalt, UCLA, all the California law schools really, place more emphasis on the GPA than the LSAT, maybe some schools were known for placing more emphasis on one area of the MCAT than the others).  The good news is that I found a board.  The bad news is that noone bothered to even answer my quetion.  Not even an "I dunno."  And as far as a place that has a database of applicants, numbers, and results, I never saw anything.

But if you find something like this, or if you can answer my year old question for me, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks, and sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

cayberr

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 06:47:14 PM »
Yep.
http://www.mdapplicants.com/

There's also a forum.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/index.php?

I know too much about med school for a law school applicant.

cayberr

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 07:37:25 PM »
I wondered this a while back too.  Last year I had a roommate that was applying to medschool with a poor MCAT, but a very high MCAT writing score.

Unfortunately for your roommate, I think the MCAT writing section is regarded similarly to the LSAT essay.  It's great if you do well but won't be enough to overcome a bad score.  As long as you don't bomb the writing section, it should be fine.  How did he/she do on the verbal section?  I've heard that some adcoms give a very slight edge of importance to verbal when weighing the 3 sections.  Nonetheless, the general rule is 30 is a good score, with nothing less than 9 in each section.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 07:42:12 PM »
I can't remember his score anymore.  But he wasn't accepted to any school.  This is his third year applying, I believe.

cayberr

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 07:57:39 PM »
I can't remember his score anymore.  But he wasn't accepted to any school.  This is his third year applying, I believe.

Did he ever retake the MCAT?  If not, he could look into med schools outside the US.  How about a DO program instead of MD?  It's much easier to get into a DO program with a low MCAT score. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 08:33:23 PM »
Did he ever retake the MCAT?  If not, he could look into med schools outside the US.  How about a DO program instead of MD?  It's much easier to get into a DO program with a low MCAT score. 

I know he looked into some DO programs, and applied, but also didn't get in.  Maybe that is because he applied last minute when he realized he might not make into MD school again.  I don't see him more than maybe once a month anymore, and because I've been accepted to some fairly good law schools and he hasn't been successful at getting into med school, bringing it up is really risky (stupid I know, even if it were appropriate to judge yourself against someone else, we're talking apples and oranges here. from what I know it is much much much harder to get into med school than law school)  Anyway, I wrote down those two links and will send it to him through a mutual friend.  Hopefully it helps.

florentino ariza

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 10:42:43 PM »
med school is ridiculous. the MCAT scares the bejesus out of me.