Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where are you applying?  (Read 7744 times)

mkagan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Where are you applying?
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2004, 04:19:12 PM »
I think NYU is an equally good school to Columbia, and it is in a far better area. frankly, people in the legal field sometimes rank it even above columbia (although to others it doesnt have the clout of an ivy). for me, the location does it. also, if i go to NYU i will attempt a combined JD/MA in film theory, of which their program is fantastic...what are your reasons?

Hey mkagan, just wondering, why NYU and not Columbia on your list?  You're one of the few (me being another  :)) who would pick NYU over Columbia.  Just wanted to know your reasons.
I think pickles are cucumbers that sold out. They sold their soul to the devil, and the devil is dill...

mkagan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2004, 04:21:14 PM »
Where are you getting this info that people straight out of undergrad don't get into yale? i havent gotten that impression at all...

And to be obnoxious, i think yale is a perfectly fine choice for those who want to be a lawyer. frankly, i like the idea of a less competitive scene than harvard, and love the idea of no true grades. i want to have "some" free time in law school.

Your admission to yale depends on a few things. 

If your undergraduate was from a top university in a liberal arts area (NOT business NOT engineering) then this plays well at Yale.  Also, if you're young, (like 22 or 23) and right out of your undergrad, then your shot is slim to none.  Yale is also a whore for legacies, so if your daddy is the governor of a state or ambassador to a notable country, you're good with your numbers.

Yale is pretty much a crapshoot for almost anyone, and I personally think pretty lowly of Yale.  Harvard teaches law on a more "practical" level and has a MUCH larger (and just as highly successful) alumni network as Yale.  If your goal is to be a law professor at a top school, political candidate, or political pundit, then Yale is your school.  If, God forbid, you actually want to go to law school to be a lawyer, then I think Harvard is a far-and-away better choice.
in order of preference:

yale
stanford
penn
harvard
chicago
virginia
duke
cornell
georgetown
william & mary (since i got the fee waiver)

i am pretty sure i will not get in to yale.  i have a feeling i'll go to penn, but who knows.
I think pickles are cucumbers that sold out. They sold their soul to the devil, and the devil is dill...

calguy815

• Sr. Citizen
  • NYU '07
    • AOL Instant Messenger - calguy815
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2004, 04:37:42 PM »
I think NYU is an equally good school to Columbia, and it is in a far better area. frankly, people in the legal field sometimes rank it even above columbia (although to others it doesnt have the clout of an ivy). for me, the location does it. also, if i go to NYU i will attempt a combined JD/MA in film theory, of which their program is fantastic...what are your reasons?

Hey mkagan, just wondering, why NYU and not Columbia on your list?  You're one of the few (me being another  :)) who would pick NYU over Columbia.  Just wanted to know your reasons.

When it comes down to it, there were only two main reasons:  location, and overall gut feeling.  Having never lived in NYC, I think that being in the heart of Manhattan is the best place for me.  I know I won't have much time in law school to truly enjoy all that NY has to offer, but at least knowing that I am in the center of it all and have that option makes me happy enough with the decision.  The second reason is just how I felt when I visited NYU.  I fell in love with the facilities and the atmosphere created by the people there.  Everyone, from the administration to the faculty to the students gave off a very warm vibe and seem to have a true sense of community.  Quality of life at the school is important to me, and I got the sense that I will be happy studying law there.  And that's good enough for me.  All the other things like their clinical programs, amazing colloquia, and dedication to public service are just nice extras.  Besides, I would imagine that any top law schools, including Columbia, would have similar offerings as well.

gooooooo

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.67, OCT. 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2004, 05:21:42 PM »
If I score a 170+ in October I will be applying to all the usual suspects (in order of preference):

Stanford
Yale
Harvard
Columbia
Chicago
NYU
Penn
Georgetown
UVA
Duke

I hope I don't have to write 20 different essays for all these schools.  This whole process is gonna be a huge pain in the ass, I'm not looking forward to it.

egg

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2004, 05:50:52 PM »
3.77 UG; 168 LSAT; 4 years WE as a biostatistician; soon-to-be angry Ph.D dropout (I mean, proud MA degree recipient!)

Harvard (I think this qualifies as a "charitable donation" for tax purposes)
Stanford (see above)
NYU dream
NU
Mich
Penn
UVA
Cornell
Berkeley
Georgetown
UCLA
USC
Maybe WUSTL.

Still modifying this list, mostly because I'm trying to figure out whether I can consider the LA schools safeties.

slick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2004, 05:53:51 PM »
Most likely staying in Texas, so my short list is:

University of Texas
SMU
University of Houston

If I do well on the LSAT, I may consider going out of state.
"If ignorance is bliss, then knock the smile off of my face"

Regal_Muse

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2004, 05:54:15 PM »
Yeah I do think UCLA Is my safe school. My gpa might actually go up. LSat just calculated my usc gpa which was a 3.8 something...I have five classes I took over the summer at a JC in highschool and college and received all A's...so when Lsac receives my transcripts from the JCs my gpa might actually go up to 3.9..muahahahahah

rwhitman

« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2004, 05:56:56 PM »
3.77 UG; 168 LSAT; 4 years WE as a biostatistician; soon-to-be angry Ph.D dropout (I mean, proud MA degree recipient!)

Harvard (I think this qualifies as a "charitable donation" for tax purposes)
Stanford (see above)
NYU dream
NU
Mich
Penn
UVA
Cornell
Berkeley
Georgetown
UCLA
USC
Maybe WUSTL.

Still modifying this list, mostly because I'm trying to figure out whether I can consider the LA schools safeties.

Why WUSTL? I was also thinking of applying to the school, mostly b/c it seemed like a decent school that seemed like a good safety..

jmontegna

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2004, 06:27:39 PM »
Havard
Columbia
NYU

For all of you out there applying to a million schools, do me a favor and don't apply to NYU.  It is probably my top choice and I don't want an over inflated applicant pool.  But then again, NYU accepts a ton of students knowing that many of them will not enroll.

And for the other NYU fans out there, the village is so superior to the upper west side (which columbia lies about, you really live in Morningside heights, and if you live off campus you might end up in Harlem).  And NYU lacks the ivy pretension.  NYU is coming up in the legal world and it gives you the best practical education in the best city in the world (all opinion of course, but, well, I'd debate you on it)

egg

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2004, 06:34:18 PM »
Why WUSTL? I was also thinking of applying to the school, mostly b/c it seemed like a decent school that seemed like a good safety..

WUSTL (in general- not just law) has an unbelievable endowment, and throws around cash like it's confetti- true story. If the law school is safety material (as I imagine it would be with your #s, but I'm no expert), then expecting some cash from them isn't unreasonable. I also believe that they will continue to attempt to purchase better USNews rankings, and better graduate placement if they can. So:

(scholarship offer) + (monster endowment) + (very hungry for rankings and better rep) = decent investment, very good safety

The reason for my "maybe" is because I'm not particularly interested in the midwestern markets in which it traditionally places (excepting perhaps Chicago).