Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread  (Read 62512 times)

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #870 on: May 24, 2007, 12:19:56 PM »
A question for the technically savvy:

The University of Miami recommends buying a laptop with at least 2.0 GHz of processor speed.  Most of the computers I have been looking at with dual core processors only operate at 1.7 or so.  Does this number really matter?  Also, anyone have comments on the AMD Turion 64 dual core x2s?  VS the Intel model?

That seems excessive for the type of programs law students usually run. 

h2xblive

« Reply #871 on: May 24, 2007, 01:08:21 PM »

The University of Miami recommends buying a laptop with at least 2.0 GHz of processor speed.  Most of the computers I have been looking at with dual core processors only operate at 1.7 or so.  Does this number really matter?  Also, anyone have comments on the AMD Turion 64 dual core x2s?  VS the Intel model?

Yeah, northwestern's is excessive, too. You should be fine with the slower processor. I don't know anything about recent AMD processors, but last time I got a computer they were comparable in performance and a bit cheaper.

I assume those CPU clockspeed requirements are not taking the number of cores into account - so a 1.7 GHz dualcore CPU should be more than enough for a single core 2.0 GHz requirement.

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #872 on: May 24, 2007, 01:09:05 PM »

I'm guessing that's an old recommendation. Ignore it. So much hsa changed with processors clock speed isn't really an issue. A 2.4ghz Pentium IV is slower than even the old 1.7ghz Pentium M which was a single core (and a 1.7ghz core 2 duo will kill a 2.4ghz Pentium IV). Actually, about 75% of the time having two cores is no better than one core really, but the rest of the stuff (cache size for one) has changed so that they are noticeably faster.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

marlinspike

• Sr. Citizen
  • Why yes, I am the one who took my avatar photo.
    • View Profile
    • Richard's Photos
« Reply #873 on: May 24, 2007, 01:11:46 PM »
OK so I am still hung up on buying a small laptop and then getting a monitor to use at home. I bought a wireless keyboard but so far, I have nothing else.

So, I'm wondering what resolution I should go for on the monitor. Can I get good res with a big screen for a couple hundred bucks?

I have eye problems so I def need a big screen but I'm also too small to carry a 17" laptop. Thoughts?

Yes you can.  Dell has some nice displays.

If you have an eyesight problem do NOT get a high-res laptop. LCD screens have to be run at their native (highest) resolution. Yes you can raise the dpi, but that is only a partial solution. I would look at a some laptops in stores before buying to get an idea of what resolution/screen size combination works for you. I'm guessing if you eye problems are bad enough to mention it, you'll want the base screen of whatever laptop you're considering.
Gas: UMD, W&M ($$), Wake Forest, Emory, GW, GMU
Clutch: Michigan, Notre Dame, UVA, AU (yield protect?), Duke, BC (Michigan told me no on 6/13 - Thank you MI for being courteous and letting me know)
Brakes: Gtown.
(3.23 169)

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: May 24, 2007, 01:35:25 PM »
OK so I am still hung up on buying a small laptop and then getting a monitor to use at home. I bought a wireless keyboard but so far, I have nothing else.

So, I'm wondering what resolution I should go for on the monitor. Can I get good res with a big screen for a couple hundred bucks?

I have eye problems so I def need a big screen but I'm also too small to carry a 17" laptop. Thoughts?

Yes you can.  Dell has some nice displays.

If you have an eyesight problem do NOT get a high-res laptop. LCD screens have to be run at their native (highest) resolution. Yes you can raise the dpi, but that is only a partial solution. I would look at a some laptops in stores before buying to get an idea of what resolution/screen size combination works for you. I'm guessing if you eye problems are bad enough to mention it, you'll want the base screen of whatever laptop you're considering.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess hi-res = small (=bad for me). I think I'm just gonna go see my ophthalmologist and see what he recommends.
The hottest chicks go to UMiami

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: May 24, 2007, 01:46:25 PM »

I'm guessing that's an old recommendation. Ignore it. So much hsa changed with processors clock speed isn't really an issue. A 2.4ghz Pentium IV is slower than even the old 1.7ghz Pentium M which was a single core (and a 1.7ghz core 2 duo will kill a 2.4ghz Pentium IV). Actually, about 75% of the time having two cores is no better than one core really, but the rest of the stuff (cache size for one) has changed so that they are noticeably faster.

I can attest to this as my old X41 tablet with a 1.5 GHZ Pentium M could play WMV HD video and 720p Quicktime HD video flawlessly while with wife's 3 year old Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ could not play either. Needless to say, the recent Intel CPUs can do so very much more with less "speed."

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

AspenLizzy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 24, 2007, 01:50:47 PM »
Thanks all,
I was really worried I wasn't going to be able to afford anything fast enough.  I thought it was strange that the processor evolution has led to less GHz "speed,"  Do most of you overlook the GHz while shopping for a laptop, or do you look for a certain range?

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #877 on: May 24, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »
yeah, the beagle was all partied out and needed a nap.

My Beagle is obviously better.

psh...he doesn't even have a party hat.

He ate it.

Then he pooped it back out, and sniffed it. He enjoyed the smell.

At least he didn't eat it (again)...

I'm sure he thought about it.
VIP.

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 24, 2007, 02:55:46 PM »

He ate it.

Then he pooped it back out, and sniffed it. He enjoyed the smell.

At least he didn't eat it (again)...

I'm sure he thought about it.

So the mens rea was present

Reesespbcup

• Sr. Citizen
  • Yay summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 24, 2007, 04:26:21 PM »
Does anybody have any opinion on the HP dv2000t laptop?

EDIT: I just read that the keys are a bit noisy. Do y'all think that's a deal breaker?