Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread  (Read 64079 times)

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #850 on: May 21, 2007, 02:39:41 PM »
zone- I'm a little confused now! I got this as a gift, that's why I'm not completely sure what happened. I was told I got the newer version, but it says in the info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:   Mac
  Model Identifier:   MacBook2,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2.16 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache (per processor):   4 MB
  Memory:   1 GB
  Bus Speed:   667 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:   MB21.00A5.B06
  SMC Version:   1.17f0

So I guess I got the older one. That's fine though, I'd really hate to think my family spent $1600 on a graduation present!!!  That's a good idea to try to get your hands on an older model if you can at the store. I know my ugrad school has a computer store, and I bet they still have some of the older ones around if the Apple store doesn't, so you could look around!

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: May 21, 2007, 02:46:56 PM »
I have been waiting really patiently to get my new Pro, and it sounds like I should wait a bit longer   :-\

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: May 21, 2007, 02:48:59 PM »
I'm not getting my new comp until I have a desk to put it on. Should be sometime in late July or early Aug.

fowles

• View Profile
« Reply #853 on: May 21, 2007, 02:49:27 PM »
zone- I'm a little confused now! I got this as a gift, that's why I'm not completely sure what happened. I was told I got the newer version, but it says in the info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name:   Mac
  Model Identifier:   MacBook2,1
  Processor Name:   Intel Core 2 Duo
  Processor Speed:   2.16 GHz
  Number Of Processors:   1
  Total Number Of Cores:   2
  L2 Cache (per processor):   4 MB
  Memory:   1 GB
  Bus Speed:   667 MHz
  Boot ROM Version:   MB21.00A5.B06
  SMC Version:   1.17f0

So I guess I got the older one. That's fine though, I'd really hate to think my family spent $1600 on a graduation present!!!  That's a good idea to try to get your hands on an older model if you can at the store. I know my ugrad school has a computer store, and I bet they still have some of the older ones around if the Apple store doesn't, so you could look around!

They just upped the processor speed a bit from the previous MacBook - used to only go up to 2.0 GHz.  I think that's what they're referring to when they say "newer version". 

Zam

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 21, 2007, 02:52:02 PM »
I'm not getting my new comp until I have a desk to put it on. Should be sometime in late July or early Aug.

if you get a laptop you just need a lap.

parischic

• View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 21, 2007, 02:53:26 PM »
I noticed that the Mac Stores have classes...has anyone done one of these? I've only ever used PCs, and I need someone to show me how to do the different commands. I'd like to take a class so that I don't have to ask my b/f every time I don't know how to do something.

Or is that a waste of time?

Are these classes you have to pay for or the free ones they offer in the store?  Whenever I go into the Apple store I always get sucked into  whatever demonstration they have going, but they all seem to be the creative programs on Apples (Iphoto, itunes, imovie, garage band, aperture), rather than the functional ones (maybe I'm just not around when they do those demos).  I reccommend the iPhoto/iMovie demo.  

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 21, 2007, 03:05:55 PM »
I am considering purchasing a dell (I know, what am I thinking) Inspiron 1501, AMD dual core processor, 1GB of Ram, 80GB HD, with XP and a 3 year service warranty for $714 plus tax.  I'm getting a business deal at work, but I was hoping you guys might have some input before I purchased it. 

Let me know what you all think.

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 21, 2007, 03:55:08 PM »
I am considering purchasing a dell (I know, what am I thinking) Inspiron 1501, AMD dual core processor, 1GB of Ram, 80GB HD, with XP and a 3 year service warranty for $714 plus tax.  I'm getting a business deal at work, but I was hoping you guys might have some input before I purchased it. 

Let me know what you all think.

Not sure how much your business deal is worth, but try doing a search on Google and Ebay for "dell coupon." You can also check techbargains.com. You  might save a few bucks.
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

Rockie

• Sr. Citizen
  • Scream for me LSD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 22, 2007, 12:37:15 AM »
Any tech junkies with thoughts on the HP Pavilion tx1000z or HP Compaq tc4400 tablets?

->Soon

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 22, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
and do not
DO NOT
DO NOT!

forget to get some sort of extra hard drive for backing up data.

i picked up this one today, not a bad price...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8293955&productCategoryId=pcmcat107700050005&type=product&cmp=++&id=1172277308084
Do you really believe in free speech, or just in speech you agree with?