Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread  (Read 63330 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #840 on: May 21, 2007, 10:34:34 AM »
thanks pipster!

i was looking at this one in particular:

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/pdet.to?seg=HHO&poid=359961
Columbia 3L

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #841 on: May 21, 2007, 11:11:49 AM »
IMHO the LED display is the only thing worth the wait. Santa Rosa is overrated. I do agree however that waiting doesn't hurt as Apple rarely, if ever lately, changes their prices.

Even if there was no LED upgrade or even Santa Rosa, the spec boost would be worth it, IMO. Unless the laptop is required *now* why not wait and get slightly more disk space and perhaps a marginally faster processor for the same price? It's been over half a year since an update to the MacBook Pro, I believe. I never understand why people are so eager to buy right before an update...
HLS 2010

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 21, 2007, 12:33:20 PM »
I just got a MacBook, the "middle" edition.  They did update some stuff two or three weeks ago, I think they made it faster. I am clearly really computer illiterate! Anyway, I'm sure if you waited until August they would update it again... :-\

I don't know as much about the MacBook Pro, but I love my new MacBook already, and I think it would be adequate to suit anyone's law school needs. Plus, even with the education discount with the warranty it was about $1500, which is what my school "suggested" you spend on a laptop computer.

stjobs

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #843 on: May 21, 2007, 01:00:40 PM »
The MacBook was updated recently. The MacBook Pro has not been updated in months.
HLS 2010

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 21, 2007, 01:28:34 PM »
BOO for the new Macbook.  The old one I was watching (the better of the two 13" white ones) was around $1380...now it's over $1500.  I only want the cheaper white one with upgraded RAM, but you have no option to add a DVD burner to it.  >:(  I wish you could downgrade options like you can with other manufacturers...

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 21, 2007, 01:28:57 PM »
IMHO the LED display is the only thing worth the wait. Santa Rosa is overrated. I do agree however that waiting doesn't hurt as Apple rarely, if ever lately, changes their prices.

Even if there was no LED upgrade or even Santa Rosa, the spec boost would be worth it, IMO. Unless the laptop is required *now* why not wait and get slightly more disk space and perhaps a marginally faster processor for the same price? It's been over half a year since an update to the MacBook Pro, I believe. I never understand why people are so eager to buy right before an update...

I don't know that I am disagreeing with you necessarily - most people just want to know whether the computer will meet their needs. I think it is fair to say that most people will not care whether Santa Rosa or an LED display is there before they purchase. Nor should they really - the Macbook Pro is already an impressive machine to begin with. Your point about getting marginally better specs is taken but really, this means even less to your average computer buyer.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

pinkisthenewlawschool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 21, 2007, 01:39:38 PM »
zone-the new one that I got, the more expensive of the white ones was a little over $1400 with the applecare. It has a DVD burner.  I used my education discount.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 21, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »
zone-the new one that I got, the more expensive of the white ones was a little over $1400 with the applecare. It has a DVD burner.  I used my education discount.

You got the one just a few weeks ago right before they changed them, right?  They switched up the options now so that the one with the DVD burner comes out to almost $1600 with 2GB ram & Applecare after the discount!  >:( I want the one you just bought!  (My shipping address is:... :D)

parischic

• View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 21, 2007, 02:29:19 PM »
Zone, ask at the store if they have any of the last edition left (new, not refurbished) in the storeroom.  I did this in Jan when I bought a new MBP for my mom.  I got the exact model that we wanted (for the very basic user the updates really don't make that much of a difference) and I ended up getting an additional 10% off!

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 21, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »
I noticed that the Mac Stores have classes...has anyone done one of these? I've only ever used PCs, and I need someone to show me how to do the different commands. I'd like to take a class so that I don't have to ask my b/f every time I don't know how to do something.

Or is that a waste of time?