Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread  (Read 63371 times)

h2xblive

Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #810 on: May 11, 2007, 02:54:42 PM »

In other words, strictly for usual school work stuff, I can't imagine you would really need a Core 2 Duo over a Core Duo. But you should be honest with yourself about what you are really buying the laptop for. Buying a laptop just for school is a lot different than buying a laptop mostly for school but also for occasionally playing World of Warcraft.

I don't know if I'm just unreasonably impatient, but I only use basic programs like Word, Adobe Acrobat, and Firefox and I think the Core 2 Duo is too slow....

It's true.  When you have them all open, things can get laggy.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: May 11, 2007, 02:59:26 PM »

In other words, strictly for usual school work stuff, I can't imagine you would really need a Core 2 Duo over a Core Duo. But you should be honest with yourself about what you are really buying the laptop for. Buying a laptop just for school is a lot different than buying a laptop mostly for school but also for occasionally playing World of Warcraft.

I don't know if I'm just unreasonably impatient, but I only use basic programs like Word, Adobe Acrobat, and Firefox and I think the Core 2 Duo is too slow....

So is there any reasonably priced processor that can do all that fast, or am I going to experience that kind of lag with any processor I get? 

h2xblive

« Reply #812 on: May 11, 2007, 03:04:25 PM »

So is there any reasonably priced processor that can do all that fast, or am I going to experience that kind of lag with any processor I get? 

I think it's more of an issue with your RAM.

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: May 11, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »

I think it's more of an issue with your RAM.

I agree, and RAM is usually cheap to upgrade to something reasonable.

You may want to go ahead and get the Core 2 Duo though since you're almost certainly not going to be upgrading the processor once you get the computer.

What computers are you comparing, anyway? For a lot of computer manufacturers (e.g. Dell), once you choose the model, the overall processor type is pretty much fixed. Like for Dell Latitude D620s, you have to get a Core 2 Duo and then you're just choosing between things like cache size and clock speed.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #814 on: May 12, 2007, 11:40:07 AM »

That has nothing to do with the processor. You need more RAM.
VIP.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: May 13, 2007, 12:05:53 AM »
Sorry if this posted somewhere on this thread, thought it would be useful...
http://lawregistrar.blogspot.com/2007/01/secureexam-and-vista-not-so-fast.html

If your school uses SecureExam for its exams on computers, you may or may not want to hold off on that Vista/2007 upgrade.  According to this site and some others, secureexam is suppose to have vista/2007 compatible version in the summer... discuss amongst yourselves.

There is a separate thread dealing with this. I'm too lazy to look it up. What is the big deal anyway? Vista and Office 2007 will have support by the end of the summer. Soon enough for those considering a purchase of either product.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: May 13, 2007, 12:16:37 PM »
Sorry if this posted somewhere on this thread, thought it would be useful...
http://lawregistrar.blogspot.com/2007/01/secureexam-and-vista-not-so-fast.html

If your school uses SecureExam for its exams on computers, you may or may not want to hold off on that Vista/2007 upgrade.  According to this site and some others, secureexam is suppose to have vista/2007 compatible version in the summer... discuss amongst yourselves.

There is a separate thread dealing with this. I'm too lazy to look it up. What is the big deal anyway? Vista and Office 2007 will have support by the end of the summer. Soon enough for those considering a purchase of either product.

Oingo

Yeah, I was just putting it out there for people to consider what their law school exam software to use.  Oingo, I have been meaning to ask you, what is your favorite oingo boingo song?  I think "not my slave" is their best song.

Without a doubt - "We close our eyes."

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

zephyr

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: May 13, 2007, 10:00:26 PM »
Has anyone bought or considered buying a HP? I'm looking at the dv6500t. Can anyone compare their customer service with Dell's?
Jim McAllister: Larry, we're not electing the f-ing Pope here. Just tell me who won. -Election

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: May 13, 2007, 10:07:00 PM »
Has anyone bought or considered buying a HP? I'm looking at the dv6500t. Can anyone compare their customer service with Dell's?

My dad bought an HP less than a year ago.  I think it was the dv6000t.   ???  Anyways, it arrived with a broken mouse button, so we sent it back for repairs.  They shipped it back five weeks later with the button still broken.  They said they ran out of parts.  Seriously.  So, to this day, the buttons under his mouse are non-functional.  He just uses an external mouse, so it's not a big deal, but he spent about five hours a day for about four days on the phone with tech support or online with their tech support.  Horrible, horrible service.    If you get it, order it through a retailer that offers extended warranty service.  I have a 3-year-old Compaq (which I think is now the same company as HP & thus must share customer service).  Their customer service is the worst I have ever encountered in my life...it will frustrate you to tears.  Anytime I had a problem, I just went through the extended warranty company and all was well.

lru22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: May 19, 2007, 05:49:53 PM »
bump
In-Ave Maria$$, Cooley$,S St. Mary's, STLC$
Wailist-U of the Pacific, SMU,U of San Francisco, UALR,Santa Clara
Out-Miami, Texas Tech,U of Houston, Hamline, Baylor
Pending- Florida Coastal