Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread  (Read 62707 times)

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #800 on: May 08, 2007, 06:17:41 PM »
I just wanted to warn people who are thinking about buying Dells for law school.

I got mine last August - it has crashed 3 times since then.  It's a lattitude.

So, if you are getting a Dell, at the very least get the 3 year protection plan!

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: May 08, 2007, 11:32:18 PM »
My current laptop just crashed.  :'(  I had the extended warranty, but I still lost a bunch of data.  New lesson: Back up data every day, not just every week.  >:(  We'll see how reliable it comes back...I may have to bump up my laptop purchase a bit earlier. :-\

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: May 09, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

ILoveUncleJesse

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: May 09, 2007, 10:30:31 AM »
didnt macbooks (or whatever apple notebook was out at the time) used to be colors?  i wish i didn't have to get a boring white or black or grey computer...

h2xblive

« Reply #804 on: May 09, 2007, 10:31:14 AM »
didnt macbooks (or whatever apple notebook was out at the time) used to be colors?  i wish i didn't have to get a boring white or black or grey computer...

Those were G3 iBooks, I think.

hobbesthecat

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #805 on: May 09, 2007, 11:38:49 AM »
Hi, I'm new to this thread- tried to read it but its too long. I was wondering if anyone had good suggestions for a reasonably priced notebook that is very light and portable? I have an IBM Z61t that I love, but its not particularly light (I think its something like 4.5 pounds) and I would like to have a laptop that has the basics that I can lug around and then just leave my IBM at home. Thanks for any advice!

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: May 09, 2007, 01:31:04 PM »

I'm getting one of these for protection and color:

http://www.case-mate.net/whichmac.html#

Michigan Law Class of 2010

dawhizz

• AOL Instant Messenger - dawhizz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #807 on: May 10, 2007, 02:21:12 PM »
Any advice on processors? My wife heard from someone who reportedly knows computers that you should get an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, if possible. But how much of a difference is that from an Intel Core Duo or an AMD processor (whether it be Athlon or Turion)? Obviously better processors cost more because they are slightly more efficient/faster, but how much am I going to notice a difference given what I'm going to be using it for?
LAWYER JOKE #7
What do you call a room full of lawyers?
A group of highly educated legal professionals.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=gflatt

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: May 10, 2007, 08:39:30 PM »
Any advice on processors? My wife heard from someone who reportedly knows computers that you should get an Intel Core 2 Duo processor, if possible. But how much of a difference is that from an Intel Core Duo or an AMD processor (whether it be Athlon or Turion)? Obviously better processors cost more because they are slightly more efficient/faster, but how much am I going to notice a difference given what I'm going to be using it for?

I was also wondering about how much processor I need, but then I realized...I use an old Pentium III desktop with 512mb running XP Pro at my job. I regularly have all sorts of things running at the same time -- Firefox, Adobe, IM, antivirus, internet apps, our company's software. I do get a fair amount of lag from time to time but the system is bearable. If the most I had up was one or two browsers, Word, IM and antivirus software (standard school stuff), I'm sure it would run with hardly any lag at all. If it had something slightly better, like a Pentium M and 1gb memory, I'm sure it'd be total overkill for school work.

In other words, strictly for usual school work stuff, I can't imagine you would really need a Core 2 Duo over a Core Duo. But you should be honest with yourself about what you are really buying the laptop for. Buying a laptop just for school is a lot different than buying a laptop mostly for school but also for occasionally playing World of Warcraft.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: May 11, 2007, 02:20:25 PM »

In other words, strictly for usual school work stuff, I can't imagine you would really need a Core 2 Duo over a Core Duo. But you should be honest with yourself about what you are really buying the laptop for. Buying a laptop just for school is a lot different than buying a laptop mostly for school but also for occasionally playing World of Warcraft.

I don't know if I'm just unreasonably impatient, but I only use basic programs like Word, Adobe Acrobat, and Firefox and I think the Core 2 Duo is too slow....