Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

h2xblive

Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #750 on: April 15, 2007, 11:27:52 AM »
Don't always rely on a usb mem card. Just email yourself your outlines, so you'll always have them available no matter what happens (say, you lose your backpack, which contained your computer and your usb card). 

Anything that can not be lost should be kept in at least four locations:

1. The computer hard drive
2.  CD/DVD/USB/Floppy
3. Off site server, a la e-mailing it to yourself
4. A hard copy

« Reply #751 on: April 15, 2007, 11:33:00 AM »
Don't always rely on a usb mem card. Just email yourself your outlines, so you'll always have them available no matter what happens (say, you lose your backpack, which contained your computer and your usb card). 

Anything that can not be lost should be kept in four locations:

1. The computer hard drive
2.  CD/DVD/USB/Floppy
3. Off site server, a la e-mailing it to yourself
4. A hard copy

I don't think I'll bother with a hard copy.  You'll probably be updating your notes too frequently for it to make sense to print them out.  My plan for now is to store on my laptop, memory key, email server (or server space provided by the school if available) and make a weekly backup onto a cd-rw. I'm also considering storing a few files on my cell phone, depending on how easy it is to accomplish (phone is bluetooth capable, and has an expansion slot for a memory card... I should be able to just copy files there without even taking it out of my pocket, right?)

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 15, 2007, 12:17:47 PM »
for a laptop, i'd suggest getting an external harddrive. They're pretty cheap for a lot of space now, and you can pretty much just plug it in whenever you come home. Copy all of your documents you have in a day, and it'll act as a pretty good backup system. Also, if you're into downloading videos and music, it's often a great way to go as it's generally a good idea to keep your laptops harddrive relatively clean.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 15, 2007, 04:01:33 PM »
The best option for backup was suggested to me lst year in this very thread.

Check out www.mozy.com

It has saved my skin once or twice already and after my wife's laptop got stolen we didn't miss a beat. The best way to back up - bar-none.

Oingo

jimfoolery

• Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 15, 2007, 08:12:59 PM »
The Dell site has a scratch and dent refurb Latitude w/ the exact specs I want for $200 less than a new one.  Yea or nay?

« Reply #755 on: April 15, 2007, 08:17:49 PM »
I dont know if thats a good deal since it is only 200 off.  However, ive had a dell computer for the last 6 years and have been pretty happy in general.  Just make sure you get the 4 year warranty on it if you buy it.  I got mine for the mechanical part, not actually the software (should have, cause I got a killer virus), but they were really really helpful.  They sent me a new power cord when mine died.  they also helped me fix my battery when I shut off the circuit breaker and almost fried it.

iscoredawaitlist

• The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 15, 2007, 08:18:51 PM »
The best option for backup was suggested to me lst year in this very thread.

Check out www.mozy.com

It has saved my skin once or twice already and after my wife's laptop got stolen we didn't miss a beat. The best way to back up - bar-none.

Oingo

looks great. I still suggest an external harddrive if you're going to have a lot of files. You may think you'll never fill 100GB, but you probably will, and your laptop will work faster if you're keeping your regular hard drive clear of junk.

The Troll King

• ME WANT CONTRIBUTE DISCUSSION
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 16, 2007, 01:22:22 AM »
NEED HELP FIND BLINKING TYPEWRITER DUAL CORE WIDESCREEN S-VIDEO MODULAR BAY CATAPULT.  PREFER GET VERY HOT BECAUSE LIVE IN FREEZING CAVE.  IF USE COOK MOOSE MEAT BIG PLUS.  NEED BIG KEYBOARD HANDS MASH AND CRACK TINY KEYS.

« Reply #758 on: April 16, 2007, 02:37:26 PM »
tag

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 22, 2007, 04:52:50 PM »
This is the thread that will never die :)

Last year I wrote in this thread about my purchase of a X41 tablet. Aside from some [correctable] performance issues the machine has held up well and its successor, the X60 tablet pretty much resolves what I think is the last hurdle in fully embracing tablet technology. The Med students love tablets more becuase they spend more time on their feet taking notes etc etc. That said, there were many classroom situations (think Civ Pro) where diagramming on the fly was very very helpful. Onenote 2007 - I do not know what people did before this program came out. IMHO it is a much more workable solution than using word. The experience is more "enriching" when you are a tablet pc user because 2007 offers tablet specifc tools that make document manipulation easier (I will try and post examples later).

Yes--I love my X41 tablet! Civ pro diagramming = right on the money.

If you do decide to go the Lenovo route, make sure to allow sometimes up to a month for delivery. They have a history of serious supply change problems with certain models (including now the X60 tablet).

Oingo