h2xblive

Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #570 on: January 21, 2007, 09:11:10 AM »
I think LoveButton is hot.

I think we all do.

h2xblive

« Reply #571 on: January 21, 2007, 09:13:01 AM »
I'm getting a MacBook in the next few days. Anyone think of any reason why I should not?

No reason, really. 

If you do end up buying your MacBook in a few days, don't buy it until at least Tuesday afternoon.  Many Macintosh hardware updates are made on Tuesday mornings.  Also, FYI:

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

wait what exactly does that mean?
I was going to order it from a local computer shop.
Here are my reasons for an against the Macbook (I want to get the 2.0 GHZ Core 2 Duo with the 80 Gig hard drive):

1. Mac OS X, I like the simplicity it offers. I used to have to run PCs because my major required that I use software made for it (coding and stuff). Also Macs are less targets of spam and adware.
2. I can't find the same processor on any other laptop for cheaper. And I like the larger cache on the 2.0 GHz core 2 duo.
3. I'd rather have a screen that was not widescreen. I hate that I can't see as many lines of text on a widescreen computer, but with LCD monitors being so cheap, I'll connect my laptop to a monitor whenever I'm at home. In that case the small MacBook is better than those bulky 15.4 widescreen computers.
4. I need something now, waiting for something better in the high-tech world is just crazy. Something better will always be on the horizon and whatever is available will always be cheaper in the future. It's the nature of the industry. Originally I was going to wait until I start law school in fall to get one but now that I'm going off to a foreign country on a study term very soon, I need a laptop now.

Hardware updates include things like "speed bumps" which are slight increases in CPU speed and other features.  Sometimes Apple just leaves everything the same and drops the price.

I would order the MacBook online or from an Apple Store - you can get a student discount of about $100-$200.

Remember, with the MacBook, the graphics card shares its video memory with main memory (or something along those lines).  This means that you have a crippled machine.  If you don't need to use applications like Final Cut Pro or don't play many games, you'll be fine and this is nothing to worry about.

OS X 10.5 (Leopard) probably won't come out until at least April - don't wait to buy your notebook because of Leopard.

h2xblive

« Reply #572 on: January 21, 2007, 09:16:01 AM »
Here are my reasons for an against the Macbook (I want to get the 2.0 GHZ Core 2 Duo with the 80 Gig hard drive):

2. I can't find the same processor on any other laptop for cheaper. And I like the larger cache on the 2.0 GHz core 2 duo.

Srsly?  I really doubt that.  The dual core 2.0 GHz w/4 MB cache might not be in stock models, but it's an upgrade option on almost every laptop I've looked at.

3. I'd rather have a screen that was not widescreen. I hate that I can't see as many lines of text on a widescreen computer, but with LCD monitors being so cheap, I'll connect my laptop to a monitor whenever I'm at home. In that case the small MacBook is better than those bulky 15.4 widescreen computers.

All of the MacBooks and MacBook Pros are widescreen...  1280x800 native resolution on the MacBooks = 16:10 aspect ratio = widescreen.  On the other hand, you'll be seeing *more* lines of text than I can on my old non-widescreen laptop with native resolution 1024x768.

But, if OSX is your thing and you need a laptop now, do it.  Although *please* get the black one.  For me.

EDIT:  Also, consider that some (many?) schools don't support macs for exams.  Might be a factor.

i'm gonna put vista on it at some point in time. Also the black just seems more expensive for no reason.

From what I've read in the Wall Street Journal, Vista really pushes and strains current high end PC desktop machines.  I highly doubt a MacBook will be able to run anything but a stripped down version of Vista and have only one application running at one time.

Geo_Storm

• I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 21, 2007, 10:47:10 AM »
no black for me. 200$ to upgrade from a white to a black and a 40Gig jump is not worth it. I mean for 200$ I could get a 250G external harddrive.

And good call on the education version of the macbook. It's taking off 100$ for me. That means I can send that app to CLS for no reason.

Another question, should I go Iwork for 90$ or Microsoft Office for 150$?

« Reply #574 on: January 21, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
Hey guys i have the macbook and i just wanted to mention to all of you that even though it's great in many ways the screen is very small and i think it would be better to buy a notebook that has a nice large screen for law school.

h2xblive

« Reply #575 on: January 21, 2007, 10:52:56 AM »
no black for me. 200$ to upgrade from a white to a black and a 40Gig jump is not worth it. I mean for 200$ I could get a 250G external harddrive.

And good call on the education version of the macbook. It's taking off 100$ for me. That means I can send that app to CLS for no reason.

Another question, should I go Iwork for 90$ or Microsoft Office for 150$?

I'd go MS Office.  It should be completely compatible with MS Office documents on Windows machines.  I have both a Mac and PC and it's nice to type up something in MS Word on my PowerBook then continue working on it with my ThinkPad, if needed.

I don't know iWork's compatibility with Windows machines.

Geo_Storm

• View Profile
« Reply #576 on: January 21, 2007, 10:53:43 AM »
Hey guys i have the macbook and i just wanted to mention to all of you that even though it's great in many ways the screen is very small and i think it would be better to buy a notebook that has a nice large screen for law school.

Good suggestion, I was going to buy a big monitor when I use it at home. It's ok, I write most of my papers by hand first anyways.

« Reply #577 on: January 21, 2007, 11:15:23 AM »
yeah i think that's what i'm going to do. Or just buy a desk top too. I think dell has some for about $500.

mugatu

• I'll show YOU pacifist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: January 21, 2007, 11:26:53 AM »
This may or may not influence you, but some schools (as of yet) still don't support Macs for test taking.  I'd check with the school.

Geo_Storm

• View Profile
« Reply #579 on: January 21, 2007, 11:42:22 AM »
This may or may not influence you, but some schools (as of yet) still don't support Macs for test taking.  I'd check with the school.

ahhh, looks like i better backtrack and rethink my purchase.