Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread  (Read 63357 times)

double_ugh

• View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #290 on: April 07, 2006, 03:47:32 PM »
i'm an idiot when it comes to computers. dimms...y is 1 better than 2? i thought it referred to the slots where u can put the memory...?

Hobert

• Sr. Citizen
  • Rossi! Rossi! Rossi!
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 07, 2006, 05:02:28 PM »
sharsky - how much did you pay for your T43? also, did you get a three year extended warranty?

I got the 3 year warranty and it came with MS Office...
But I also have a brother that works for IBM so I got the Employee and Friends discount.
It was about $2000 Canadian, since I got the extra 512MB Ram and 80GB external HD.

Congrats  ;D  I bought my wife a T43 today as well. Though for her I stuck with just the 512MB of RAM and went with the base warranty. Everything else is the same including our 80GB external HD ;) I also used the employee discount throug a friend and former coworker who now works at IBM in RTP.
Super Bowl Champs (Attending): DUKE
TD: Michigan, Northwestern, UNC, Notre Dame, Texas, Vandy, WUSTL
Intentional Grounding(Withdrew): Baylor, Case, Cincy, Emory, Florida, Indiana
INT: None
4th and Goal: Penn, UVA
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Hobert

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 08, 2006, 08:37:10 PM »
There is probably a topic like this already, but I couldn't find it in this board.

I am looking at the Gateway CX200 -- some of the tablet stuff looks cool -- but I am concerned about it only coming with Windows XP Tablet PC, which I don't know anything about, and about the less robust wireless capabilities (not Centrino).  Anyone have an opinion?

Several people seem to have had bad experiences with Dells.

One good bit of advice I did see was that a lot of notebooks come with a three year service / support option, and if you could manage to hold off buying one until July it would have the coverage through when you took the bar exam, just in case something tragic happened your third year...

Pass36,

Did you end up buying the CX200 or did you <chuckle chuckle> "pass?"

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 08, 2006, 10:12:40 PM »
has anyone heard if law schools will let students use Macs now that they have the new Boot Camp software that allows native running of Windows? 

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 09, 2006, 02:32:56 AM »
has anyone heard if law schools will let students use Macs now that they have the new Boot Camp software that allows native running of Windows? 

I emailed the tech people at Penn about it and they said they will contact ExamSoft to make sure there are no compatibility issues... but she basically said, "we're very excited about this new development."

I went crying to her at the ASW, begging her to let me use my baby.   :)

(Though actually I will have to buy Baby #2, since I'll need a Mac with an Intel processor... but still, at least I can buy I computer that I want, instead of one I have to get.)
I am officially a law school graduate : )

AZWildcat

• Sr. Citizen
  • What LS in San Diego looks like..
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #295 on: April 09, 2006, 04:49:38 AM »

I am a current Examsoft user and have requested clearance to use my MacBook Pro for summer exams.  Examsoft said, "We are looking at the issue and expect to clear the MacBook Pro soon."

Needless to say, Examsoft would love to clear it because it would stop the pressure they're feeling to build a Mac client.
USD 2L

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 09, 2006, 11:03:56 AM »
How much do you think it will be to upgrade to OS X Leopard when it comes out later this year?  And how long until the 12 inch MacBook Pro comes out?  Would it be worth waiting until both of those two items come out?

Also, does anyone have a clue as to whether (or when) Dell's latitude line will move over to the Core-Duo architecture?  Should that concern even affect one's decision on which computer to get?

And, is the Sony VAIO TX series tough enough to withstand three years of law school use?
Attending GULC in Fall '06

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 09, 2006, 04:05:56 PM »
How much do you think it will be to upgrade to OS X Leopard when it comes out later this year?  And how long until the 12 inch MacBook Pro comes out?  Would it be worth waiting until both of those two items come out?

I don't know if you mean a MacBook specifically, but the 13 inch iBooks will be released in June. 

**happy dance**
I am officially a law school graduate : )

weberik

• View Profile
    • Mac Law Students
    • Email
« Reply #298 on: April 10, 2006, 12:25:56 PM »

I've sent emails to ExamSoft, Software Secure, and CompuTest. The only one that has replied back so far has been CompuTest (makers of Electronic Blue Book). They've told me they're in the process of evaluating Boot Camp. I assume the other two companies are doing the same.

As I get official word from these companies, I'll post the information on Mac Law Students.
Erik Schmidt
Editor, Mac Law Students

PetetheDrummer

• AOL Instant Messenger - PetetheDrummer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #299 on: April 10, 2006, 07:59:21 PM »
I just read through this entire thread, and I now have absolutely NO IDEA which laptop to get. Thanks guys  :P ;D :D