Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #930 on: June 13, 2007, 09:56:34 AM »
Here's the basics of what I've found.

1.  Most law schools offer support for Windows but not Macs.  Some law schools even prohibit Macs.

2.  More importantly, I am not aware of a single law school that allows you to take your exams on a Mac, since the exam software only works on Windows and not on Windows emulatiion.

#2 is the reason why I eliminated Macs from consideration.  I don't want to have to write every exam in longhand.  Ouch!  My hand hurts just thinking about that!

#2 is not true.  Penn and Michigan definitely let their students take exams on Macs.  So do a few others.

UVA does, too. No exam software.

Also, there is an incomplete list of schools that allow Macs here: http://maclawstudents.com/blog/law-school-exam-software/#schools

yea i know about UVa and it was a definite point in their favor (same with UChi).  Harvard doesn't have exam software either.

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #931 on: June 13, 2007, 10:02:04 AM »
Here's the basics of what I've found.

1.  Most law schools offer support for Windows but not Macs.  Some law schools even prohibit Macs.

2.  More importantly, I am not aware of a single law school that allows you to take your exams on a Mac, since the exam software only works on Windows and not on Windows emulatiion.

#2 is the reason why I eliminated Macs from consideration.  I don't want to have to write every exam in longhand.  Ouch!  My hand hurts just thinking about that!

#2 is not true.  Penn and Michigan definitely let their students take exams on Macs.  So do a few others.

Bear in mind, the Macbook Pro had only been shipping for a little over a month when this post was written.  The Macbook was still just a gleam in Apple's eye.  A lot has changed in just over a year.

« Reply #932 on: June 15, 2007, 08:05:28 PM »
My boyfriend took my Macbook to work with him and loaded Windows on and says it works wonderfully. Loyola allows Macs for exams, but I am still concerned about the Cali bar.

« Reply #933 on: June 23, 2007, 03:38:08 PM »
Macbook (black, 160gb, 2 GB memory upgrade) vs. MacbookPRO? The Pro is a 15 in, and has a 2.4 Intel processor vs. the macbook's 2.16 processor. Also, the Pro is $400 more. I can't decide between the two. I love both of them. Help.

h2xblive

« Reply #934 on: June 23, 2007, 04:25:12 PM »
Macbook (black, 160gb, 2 GB memory upgrade) vs. MacbookPRO? The Pro is a 15 in, and has a 2.4 Intel processor vs. the macbook's 2.16 processor. Also, the Pro is $400 more. I can't decide between the two. I love both of them. Help.

If you have the money, get the Pro!

.zone.

• View Profile
« Reply #935 on: June 23, 2007, 05:55:01 PM »

I love the regular Macbook.  The PRO is too big.  I thought I wanted a big screen, but I can tell you after dragging around my 15" for a while, machines with those screens are unnecessarily large.  :( 

stjobs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #936 on: June 23, 2007, 06:51:08 PM »
The black MacBook is the worst value in the lineup, IMO. Go with the base level MacBook Pro - the 2.2GHz processor will still yield better performance than the black MacBook, 2GB RAM is standard, and the 160GB drive is only an additional $65 or so. If the 2.4GHz Pro is $400 more than the black MacBook as configured, the 2.2GHz Pro will likely be cheaper than the black MacBook and a much faster computer.

« Reply #937 on: June 23, 2007, 07:32:58 PM »

I love the regular Macbook.  The PRO is too big.  I thought I wanted a big screen, but I can tell you after dragging around my 15" for a while, machines with those screens are unnecessarily large.  :( 

Yea, I think the size might be on of the deterrents for me. I am a little lady. I have a 12 inch ibook G4, and it has served me well for the past 4 years. (The CD drive crapped out recently, plus I need a laptop that can run Windows via BootCamp.) I hated dragging this little thing around, so the idea of a bigger laptop is unappealing. BUT the macbooks weigh 5.1 lbs and the Pro only weighs 5.4 lbs. Also, all of my classes in law school will be confined to one building, and the LS has its own parking area, so maybe I wouldn't be lugging around the computer as much (no long walks across campus). Or maybe I could be a super nerd and get a rolling bag (probably not though).

Hey stjobs---the 2.2 GHz Pro is $400 more than the black macbook (which has 2.16GHz), even after I upgrade the black macbook to 2GB ram. The 2.4 GHz is $700 more than the black macbook. I wish I could go for the 2.4 processor, but that might be pushing my budget.

The Pro is just so cool. I wish I could buy both. I might just go to the apple store and play with both of them a little.

Thanks for y'all's input though.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: June 23, 2007, 11:12:12 PM »

Yea, I think the size might be on of the deterrents for me. I am a little lady. I have a 12 inch ibook G4, and it has served me well for the past 4 years. (The CD drive crapped out recently, plus I need a laptop that can run Windows via BootCamp.) I hated dragging this little thing around, so the idea of a bigger laptop is unappealing. BUT the macbooks weigh 5.1 lbs and the Pro only weighs 5.4 lbs. Also, all of my classes in law school will be confined to one building, and the LS has its own parking area, so maybe I wouldn't be lugging around the computer as much (no long walks across campus). Or maybe I could be a super nerd and get a rolling bag (probably not though).

Hey stjobs---the 2.2 GHz Pro is $400 more than the black macbook (which has 2.16GHz), even after I upgrade the black macbook to 2GB ram. The 2.4 GHz is $700 more than the black macbook. I wish I could go for the 2.4 processor, but that might be pushing my budget.

The Pro is just so cool. I wish I could buy both. I might just go to the apple store and play with both of them a little.

Thanks for y'all's input though.

Good plan. I was all set to buy the Macbook, until I had a chance to use the keyboard in the store. Those flat keys just don't work for me. Otherwise, the Macbook is such a great value that, aside from upgrading to 2 GB of RAM, is perfect how it is. Performance-wise there just isn't all that much difference given typical law school use. If the screen size works for you (given that you are coming from an iBook it should) then I don't see why you need to spend the extra money.

(I went with the Pro if only because I needed the extra screen real estate and hated the Macbooks keyboard)

Oingo