Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

.zone.

• View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #760 on: April 24, 2007, 09:06:39 PM »
I don't use many programs...just the internet, Acrobat, iTunes, & Microsoft Office...every now & then some photo-editing.  I am incredibly impatient...when stuff is slow opening or takes to long to process, I get angry.  >:(  Speed is my first concern, reliability is second, design & weight is third.  I want something pretty & not too plain & it can't be super-heavy or too thick...I'd prefer something under 6 pounds.  I'd prefer a 12" to 14" screen.  I want something $1500 or less after the cost of a 3-year warranty (or longer). 
So far, I'm liking the 13" white MacBook & the Sony Vaio C Series (a little pricey for me).  Does anyone have any other suggestions that seem to better fit what I'm looking for?

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 25, 2007, 07:44:14 AM »
I don't use many programs...just the internet, Acrobat, iTunes, & Microsoft Office...every now & then some photo-editing.  I am incredibly impatient...when stuff is slow opening or takes to long to process, I get angry.  >:(  Speed is my first concern, reliability is second, design & weight is third.  I want something pretty & not too plain & it can't be super-heavy or too thick...I'd prefer something under 6 pounds.  I'd prefer a 12" to 14" screen.  I want something $1500 or less after the cost of a 3-year warranty (or longer). 
So far, I'm liking the 13" white MacBook & the Sony Vaio C Series (a little pricey for me).  Does anyone have any other suggestions that seem to better fit what I'm looking for?

Just make sure that whatever you get, you put in at least 2 gigs of memory. It makes a world of difference in Vista and definitely helps in OS-X.

Oingo

« Reply #762 on: April 25, 2007, 11:08:04 AM »
Go with XP,  wait till a major service pack before using Vista.  As long as Microsoft offers updates to XP, you will be fine for the next three years (business will force Microsoft to offer updates for XP for a little while longer).  When you graduate, Vista will have worked it kinks out.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/130657

I agree with this; however, new Lenovos only come pre-installed with Vista.  Any advice?  Go with a Mac?  Or a Dell?

« Reply #763 on: April 25, 2007, 12:07:12 PM »
Go with XP,  wait till a major service pack before using Vista.  As long as Microsoft offers updates to XP, you will be fine for the next three years (business will force Microsoft to offer updates for XP for a little while longer).  When you graduate, Vista will have worked it kinks out.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/130657

I agree with this; however, new Lenovos only come pre-installed with Vista.  Any advice?  Go with a Mac?  Or a Dell?

Actually, I was looking at the Lenovo site this morning, and you can get the V100 with vista or XP:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/systemconfig.runtime.workflow:LoadRuntimeTree?sb=:000000250000073::0

Maybe Vista is the default but it seems like you can customize it.

« Reply #764 on: April 25, 2007, 01:10:26 PM »
You're right - thanks for the info.  Maybe just all laptops at retail stores have Vista pre-installed.  I went to Best Buy...not a good idea.
I'm hoping to get in at Duke & get a Mac :)
Anyone at Duke experience problems with a Mac??

Clipse

• Strictly Bathing Ape, Ice Cream, and BBC rocker...
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: April 25, 2007, 02:55:53 PM »
So, I'm most likely going the BlackBook route with 2gigs of RAM. I'm kinda pissed that OSX 10.5 isn't coming out until October, just in time for me to not get it.

For dual booting, should I go with XP Pro or Vista Business? I continue to hear bad things about Vista at this point, but don't want to have to just buy it in a year or two.

Captain

• View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #766 on: April 25, 2007, 03:04:43 PM »
I second the Thinkpad choice. If I can't use a Mac for law school, a T or X Series will be my choice.

Agreed. Dell has issues. Don't buy one unless your school will service the Dells on-campus through a program, and even then, be careful to back up your data super-regularly.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 25, 2007, 03:48:29 PM »
So, I'm most likely going the BlackBook route with 2gigs of RAM. I'm kinda pissed that OSX 10.5 isn't coming out until October, just in time for me to not get it.

For dual booting, should I go with XP Pro or Vista Business? I continue to hear bad things about Vista at this point, but don't want to have to just buy it in a year or two.

Run with XP pro. Schools aren't ready for Vista yet.

Oingo

adlai

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 06, 2007, 12:07:48 PM »
Uh, will schools be ready for vista come fall? I'm running vista right now-- I was one of the "early adopters" , and I wasn't planning on spending the money to get a new laptop...

h2xblive

« Reply #769 on: May 06, 2007, 12:12:03 PM »
Uh, will schools be ready for vista come fall? I'm running vista right now-- I was one of the "early adopters" , and I wasn't planning on spending the money to get a new laptop...

Anything's possible, but I highly doubt it.