Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #740 on: April 07, 2007, 07:47:29 PM »
good advice with the backup.  Check with your school and make sure the network works with macs though.  I know our extegrity exam software just wont run with macs yet or that vista stuff.

and i exagerated, law school is not terrible. Its actual intellectual and stimulating and towards the end of the semester somewhat sleep depriving.

you guys will be amazed at how much you enjoy it.

« Reply #741 on: April 07, 2007, 07:51:54 PM »
So I'm thinking I'm gonna get a Thinkpad now. My buddy works at IBM in the RTP here in NC and says he can give me his employee # for a discount. That's too good to turn down.

Any suggestions on which types of Thinkpad I might go with? I'm not uber concerned with $$. I want a good product that'll last for 3 years and not too heavy.

adlai

• View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 07, 2007, 07:58:12 PM »
I'd say either the T or X series. widescreen is eh, there is teh Z series. I'd say get 14" or less. The T series has a little more power (better graphics card, trackpad) while the X series is 12" and pretty small. I have a T43, it's a superb notebook.

So what's this about certain software not working on vista or mac os x?

« Reply #743 on: April 07, 2007, 08:02:42 PM »
a lot havent made stuff mac compatible yet... its something to consider.  also, many have restrictions wrt wireless cards and everything.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 08, 2007, 08:19:00 AM »
This is the thread that will never die :)

Last year I wrote in this thread about my purchase of a X41 tablet. Aside from some [correctable] performance issues the machine has held up well and its successor, the X60 tablet pretty much resolves what I think is the last hurdle in fully embracing tablet technology. The Med students love tablets more becuase they spend more time on their feet taking notes etc etc. That said, there were many classroom situations (think Civ Pro) where diagramming on the fly was very very helpful. Onenote 2007 - I do not know what people did before this program came out. IMHO it is a much more workable solution than using word. The experience is more "enriching" when you are a tablet pc user because 2007 offers tablet specifc tools that make document manipulation easier (I will try and post examples later).

If you do decide to go the Lenovo route, make sure to allow sometimes up to a month for delivery. They have a history of serious supply change problems with certain models (including now the X60 tablet).

Oingo

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 08, 2007, 08:29:40 AM »
Now onto a completely different topic :)

I have recently replaced the aforementioned X41 tablet with a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. This is a performance machine that will do it all. I use this program called "Parallels" to run Onenote 2007 and a few other XP programs that I still use. OS-X is such a pleasure to use! My school uses Securexam so there is a OS-X version available. Even if there wasn't, I'd would borrow a laptop (in my case, just use my old X41).

I'm in the gushing mode right now - perhaps in another month or so I may have something to gripe about (I suspect it might be network printer configuration related - this process is not as "smooth" as XP). Otherwise I am a happy camper!

Oingo

Specs? 15 inch Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro with 2 gigs ram and 120 gb HD

jimfoolery

• Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 14, 2007, 11:06:28 PM »
I'm buying a new Latitude within the next few days (could really use a laptop right now, so I'm not waiting until summer to buy) and I can't decide whether to pre-install XP or Vista.  In addition to being wary of Vista's inevitable bugs and glitches, I have a 3-yr-old desktop running XP.  I probably won't need to coordinate the two units for anything more than passing files back and forth, but that may change, and I'm worried that running different OS's could cause compatibility problems.  On the other hand, if consumers and software developers really take to Vista, I could be left holding the bag with an OS that won't run new programs, and I'd have to pay retail for one, if not two (one for the desktop), copies of Vista. 

Obviously I don't know sh~t about the XP --> Vista transition, so any help or links would be appreciated.

« Reply #747 on: April 15, 2007, 04:54:09 AM »
Go with XP,  wait till a major service pack before using Vista.  As long as Microsoft offers updates to XP, you will be fine for the next three years (business will force Microsoft to offer updates for XP for a little while longer).  When you graduate, Vista will have worked it kinks out.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/130657

« Reply #748 on: April 15, 2007, 10:07:38 AM »
anyone got ideas on a really cheap, really light dell? i need a backup computer, cause mine keeps dying before exams... scariest experience ever when your disk drive falls out when you take your computer out of the bag the morning before an exam...

oh, and two pieces of advice to anyone buying a computer for school:
1. get one of those laptop sleeves, cause they get really beaten up in your backpack if you dont have one.
2. get a memory key.
-a few of my friends got their computers stolen, you are completely screwed if a few weeks before finals you lose yours and you dont have notes/outlines saved.

I keep one on my desk and save stuff to it every night...

« Reply #749 on: April 15, 2007, 11:11:02 AM »
Don't always rely on a usb mem card. Just email yourself your outlines, so you'll always have them available no matter what happens (say, you lose your backpack, which contained your computer and your usb card).