Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2006, 02:08:57 PM »
Thanks for the info on the Gateway people Oingo :)  I hate sales people!  no offense to any of you out there.

Ok, just checked out another posters rec on the Thinkpad x41 Tablet.  Looks awesome!  here is the link in case you are interested...

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/thinkpad/xseries/tablet/

It is more pricey, but I've heard great things about these...whereas, I've heard mixed reviews on the Gateways. 

Ouch! $1979 for the model that I would have interest in. I have spent the better part of the morning lusting after it. Better to think of it as a long long LONG term investment. It is sweet though - I absolutely need something light and visible and it seems like this fits the bill.

Oingo.

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2006, 12:22:15 AM »
I have a sony 10 inch TR3 that I bought 2 years ago.. Due to financial contraints, I am thinking about just using that for law school. I bought it cuz it was tiny and light to carry around, and the problem comes with that is I am gradually going blind with the tiny 10 inch screen.

Should I invest $1,000~1,500 and get something bigger?

Any thoughts appreciated.

habeas dorkus!

• A retired queen of hearts
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2006, 12:31:05 AM »
Irony: I bought one of the best computers on the market recently, thinking I needed a new one for law school (well, you know, and for gaming). Sadly, it shoots bright lights out in all directions and the fan sounds like a 747 taxiing on the runway. I can't carry it for more than a couple minutes, given its weight, let alone take it to class. So I'll be picking up a used IBM or something similar on eBay before I go.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2006, 02:33:32 AM »
My preferences always change, but right now I like the Dell 630m. I'm not going to go smaller than a 14" screen. You have to know someone with a business account to get one of them btw.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2006, 08:06:21 AM »
I'm probably gonna get a Mac, too.  Does anyone know if they plan on having 12 inch macbook pros by the fall?  I've had an ultra-portable with a 12 inch screen for the past 3 years and can't imagine getting anything bigger at this point

(yiplong, don't attack me, too!)

OingoBoingo

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2006, 08:27:42 AM »
I spent most of last night scouring the reviews on CNET trying to figure out if there was a laptop for me out there. I still kept coming back to that Leveno X41 tablet. The thing that bothers me though is that it doesn't have an optical drive. I know I won't use it much but still we are talking about $2000 here.....

Oingo

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2006, 08:37:58 AM »
A coworker suggested a Dell600 to me- w/ Windows XP Professional edition. I'm not the most technologically advanced person (ie, when my computer screws up I usually have no clue how to fix it!). Does anyone know about this computer and its ease of use?

Thanks!

OingoBoingo

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2006, 09:07:26 AM »
I spent most of last night scouring the reviews on CNET trying to figure out if there was a laptop for me out there. I still kept coming back to that Leveno X41 tablet. The thing that bothers me though is that it doesn't have an optical drive. I know I won't use it much but still we are talking about $2000 here.....

Oingo

That's a great computer.  I am still not sure how useful the tablet would be, so I'm not leaning towards it.

The silly thing is I've never even seen one of these nor used one. That said, I'd be buying not to write my notes in class (with the light pen) but rather to have a more convenient way to look at them afterward. The thing is light and I can think of a bunch of ackward situations (on the bus and in other cramped quarters) where having the option to look at my notes on Onenote in tablet mode would afford me more comfort. It isn't that much of a premium over the regular, non-tablet X41.

Oingo.

sarmstrong806

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2006, 03:22:08 PM »
A coworker suggested a Dell600 to me- w/ Windows XP Professional edition. I'm not the most technologically advanced person (ie, when my computer screws up I usually have no clue how to fix it!). Does anyone know about this computer and its ease of use?

Thanks!

They have those at my work.  They feel flimsy (the case) and really don't inspire much.  You get a lot for your money, though.
[/quote]

Depending on what you get Dell does use cheap components, parts wise, not ram or anything. The best thing to do is shell out the dough for the best warranty and the accidental damage plan. You can accidentally run it over with your car and they will give you a new one.

As far as ease of use, if you are talking about the size and keyboard they are great. Definitely get XP pro. I've got to see if I can swindle an XP pro cd off my UG so I don't have to pay for it.

OingoBoingo

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2006, 07:45:46 PM »
Well I made a desicion........I bought the X41 tablet!!!

I have a big smoking hole in my wallet. Yet I still have a smile on my face :)

I bought it with a 3 year on-site warranty and the 8 cell battery. I also bought an extra 512MB of RAM. I decided against buying it from IBM/Leveno because of the 3+ week wait. I used a reseller. I also decided against buying any software at this point. I hope to find one of those student deals for Microsoft Office suite sometime in the future.

Good luck to all with your purchase(s). I should have my machine in the next few days.
I'll post my impressions later.

Oingo.