Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

M DOT

Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #160 on: March 20, 2006, 05:59:18 PM »
dave thinkpads are like a volvo, really nice, but not too pretentious and fancy pants and last forever.....

with that anyone going to invest in a cock and screen/keyboard for at home use?

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 20, 2006, 06:08:19 PM »
A lot of this thread and another thread Oingo started talks about the X41 (it's the tablet.)  I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with the tablet, but I'm still thinking as I won't need to make up my mind until July. 

The 4lb T has the small battery which is no good, so really it starts at 4.5 (for any decent battery life.) 

I have a nice desktop computer so I'm not worried about a docking station at all.

And lex, you might want to review your last post.  There's a small edit you may wish to make.   ;)

LOL!!!! (trying "hard" to contain myself)

Oingo

M DOT

« Reply #162 on: March 20, 2006, 06:12:22 PM »
i gues we can see where my minds at and what im def not getting, such a lady with major sub csc issues, good looking mu, but i think im going to leave it for shits and giggles.....

it seems like you know a bit about laptops and this new tablet technology, new to me at least....it is for taking notes and stuff like that with a piece of paper and pen?? i know i asked before, but is this really necessary, and is it worth investing in seeing that its still "new"

And lex, you might want to review your last post.  There's a small edit you may wish to make.   ;)

Yale College Inferno

• New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 20, 2006, 06:15:38 PM »
As a repair technician, I just want to say:

DON'T get a Sony.
DON'T get a Gateway.

That is all.

M DOT

« Reply #164 on: March 20, 2006, 06:23:27 PM »
thanks for the breakdown mu, i think i may go for it seems very handing

Yale College Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: March 20, 2006, 06:27:31 PM »
I have a Gateway laptop that I got in 2000.  It still runs.  I haven't replaced anything on it.

1. Nice avatar  ;)
2. You're lucky nothing broke, because if it did, Gateway tech support likely wouldn't have been able to fix even a minor problem except by requiring you to send in your whole laptop for a few weeks. And if it was a software issue you were having, they'd make you reinstall the OS that came with your computer (whether that was Win ME, or 2000, or whatever), wiping out your upgrade to XP/2003, before they would proceed down the tech support flowchart.

M DOT

« Reply #166 on: March 20, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
one more question....what is the "think express program"

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: March 20, 2006, 06:35:06 PM »
Anyone use the Vaio TX for school? I'm considering it. It's a bit more expensive than I was hoping for, but it seems perfect. Very fast, built-in dvd rw, nice keyboard, and, most importantly, under 3 lbs.

jobrown7

« Reply #168 on: March 20, 2006, 06:52:29 PM »
I purchased the Gateway tablet for a few months ago specifically for law school. My background is in IT (software)...I am not a big IT hardware geek but I am competent. Here are my feelings on it:

* The battery life is amazing. Better by a mile than the 3 different IBM laptops that I have used over the last six years.
* The performance is OKAY. My biggest complaint is the boot time. I may bump up the RAM to 1 or 2GB. It is very cheap.
* I prefer a laptop that is a bit smaller and lighter.
* The text recognition is AMAZING. I just can not get over how well it works. But I suppose that is a compliment to Microsoft.
* Only one PC expansion slot. I would prefer two.

I know everyone here (and maybe others as well) prefer the IBM. But I can speak from personal experience as say that in six years of using IBM's full time I had nothing but problems. I had FOUR hard-drives die, a motherboard, and several video cards die. Now I know, everyone will think that I abused the laptop. Not true. I left it docked 99% of the time (and I did not travel). MANY others at work had similar problems. Having said all of that, I do think their new Tablets are sweet looking.

As a final note, I purchased my laptop through Best Buy. I purchased their extended warranty (I can't remember exactly but ~$150) because their repair policies are very good. I have used it several times for digital cameras and the like and have been very impressed. Generally if it is a major problem they will give you a new "camera/laptop/whatever" right on the spot. If they no longer have the model that you purchased they give you a store credit for the amount of the purchse.

Wow that was long.

Yale College Inferno

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: March 20, 2006, 08:16:58 PM »
Anyone use the Vaio TX for school? I'm considering it. It's a bit more expensive than I was hoping for, but it seems perfect. Very fast, built-in dvd rw, nice keyboard, and, most importantly, under 3 lbs.

I had a friend that had a Sony once.  The screws in the bottom started falling out.

They may have improved their quality of build, but I've always thought that extra four or five hundred went towards the looks, and I'm ok with not spending that money.

DON'T BUY SONY!!!!!

Sony has nice LCD screens. But as mugatu noted, they are so flimsy. A lot of the design features make no sense, e.g. heat sink GLUED to the processor, blocking the processor screws once the heat sink is attached; often inaccessible hard drive locked into the middle of the box, surrounded by components, so you can't extract the drive without takinga apart the whole computer). If it breaks, your school's hardware/IT people probably won't be able to fix it because the design is so field-repair-hostile (second only to Apple), and you'll have to send your laptop to Sony.

Now that i think of it, I have also seen a few gateways with the entrapped hard drive problem, but I have never seen it on a Dell or IBM--those HDs are easy to slide out from the side so you can quickly copy off important files even if the computer isn't booting up.

btw. knowing sony, the most likely reason that the model you're looking at weighs only 3 lbs. is because so many of its components are made of plastic rather than metal. it's just going to break.