Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2006, 07:46:36 AM »
Does the T-series lack of widescreen bother anyone else?  Since no one I know of sells the Thinkpads in retail, I can't go take a look at them, and I'm a little wierded out by the fact that almost every other computer on the market is in widescreen, except the T-series.

I've been using a Dell Inspiron 8200 since I (mistakenly) bought the hunk of junk before freshmen year...the POS weighs about 12-13 pounds, and cost about 2600 when I bought it...it also runs slow as hell, and has a battery life of all of 40 mins...at this point anything is a major improvement...and it doesn't have WS!

that is esACTly what i have, and i fracking hate this crap.  dell might single-handedly (single-keyboardedly?) switch me over to mac.  if only i didn't have to worry about examsoft.

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2006, 03:50:16 PM »
BUMP

Has anyone else made a purchase? There seemed to be a lot of sale activity this past St Patrick's day weekend. I'd be curious to hear from others considering choices different from what has been already mentioned in this thread.

Oingo.

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2006, 04:28:22 PM »
I heard that the Toshiba tablet was superb from someone who uses his quite extensively. They do have more powerful processors available, and seem to be a pretty good value. The X41, however,  has a few editor's picks and things going for it. Just thought I'd throw the Toshiba name out there to see what others think. My friend had one years ago for work, and he complained of it being too hot to use as a true laptop, but I'm sure they've addressed that since then, especially since I think some guy sued them for broiled testicles or something.

flydog

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2006, 04:34:22 PM »
I have an HP DV4000 but I just bought a new Dell 710m for law school because the HP is too big and dies quick. The Dell weighs 4 lbs and lasts 5+ hours compared to 6 lbs and 3 hrs for the HP. My advice is get the lightest computer with the longest battery time you can find. You will not need a huge screen for class and all notebooks can be plugged into external monitors and keyboards at home.

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2006, 04:51:14 PM »

As far as tablets go, the x41 is by far the lightest.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but most other tablets tend to clock up towards 5 lbs, instead of shy of 4.  What's more impressive is how big of a difference 1 lb makes after lugging something around all day.

Good point. I hadn't considered the weight difference, which is substantial, I agree, unless there is also a size difference, which I don't think there is.

Are you all opting for the internal CD/DVD player for the X41 or the external? I'm thinking external, since it'll reduce weight and be one less thing to destroy.

Also, I'm wondering if IBMs hard-drive protection features would still work if one were to swap out a 7200 rpm drive for the drive that comes with it.

And finally, what are you guys doing for data back-up? External HD, USB, CD-RW, gmail account? I know there are a number of ways to back-up stuff safely, but I'm sure one of you has a very clever idea that hadn't occurred to me yet.

PS for nerds only. I hope that wherever I attend podcasts the lectures. I know Duke is doing this pretty extensively now.

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2006, 05:24:54 PM »
Are you all opting for the internal CD/DVD player for the X41 or the external? I'm thinking external, since it'll reduce weight and be one less thing to destroy.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: you can't get an internal optical drive for the X41.  I believe you can buy a dock that includes an optical drive or you could just buy an external USB optical drive.  That's one of the reasons it can be so light.

Also, I'm wondering if IBMs hard-drive protection features would still work if one were to swap out a 7200 rpm drive for the drive that comes with it.

1. hard-drive protection features are becoming more common on higher-end, business laptops.  I know recent Toshibas have it and I'm sure other manufacturers are incorporating the techbology.  I think the technology will work with any drive, but I'm not 100% sure.

2. If you're looking at the X41 or the X60 series you're not going to be able to swap the original HD for a 7200 RPM drive.  Those machines use a 1.8" harddrive whereas the 7200RPM drives for laptops are 2.5" drives.  The story may be different for the T series...

And finally, what are you guys doing for data back-up? External HD, USB, CD-RW, gmail account? I know there are a number of ways to back-up stuff safely, but I'm sure one of you has a very clever idea that hadn't occurred to me yet.

External HD for drive imaging, DVDs for longer term backups, and probably the school's network for day-to-day file backup.

M DOT

« Reply #156 on: March 20, 2006, 05:42:35 PM »
can anyone tell me why an X series would be better for school than the T??

M DOT

« Reply #157 on: March 20, 2006, 05:45:14 PM »
nothing else that makes it better? i did notice that the T series starts at 4 pounds which could be a bia

M DOT

« Reply #158 on: March 20, 2006, 05:52:10 PM »
what about the thinkpad tablets, r they worth it?

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 20, 2006, 05:53:22 PM »

As far as tablets go, the x41 is by far the lightest.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but most other tablets tend to clock up towards 5 lbs, instead of shy of 4.  What's more impressive is how big of a difference 1 lb makes after lugging something around all day.

Good point. I hadn't considered the weight difference, which is substantial, I agree, unless there is also a size difference, which I don't think there is.

PS for nerds only. I hope that wherever I attend podcasts the lectures. I know Duke is doing this pretty extensively now.

I'll be using the schools network too for day to day backup of critical files (200MB alloted). I will do periodic system imaging using the IBM restore feature and my external DVD drive.

Oingo.