Law School Discussion

Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a Notebook Computer for Law School? The Q and A thread
« Reply #120 on: March 10, 2006, 12:26:32 PM »
Update:

I have figured out that the speed issue that I have is most likely due to a router incompatibility with the wireless card of which I can do nothing about. I was going to replace the router with something that could do printer sharing and/or telephony (read: Vonage). It is a 2.5 year old Linksys wireless B unit. Perhaps I'll do something this summer.

The included Zinio reader is a neat program. I'm not really an avid magazine buyer but this type of application seems useful. I think they only offer magazines through their website. I could not see that they offer fiction/non-fiction books. Maybe there is another vendor out there (Amazon?). It would be also nice if we could purchase class texts in PDF format (probably pie in the sky but oh well).

I have done some tweaking, removed some programs and experienced a noticable gain in boot up time speed. My wife's laptop still boots up faster - it's just not as much faster as it used to be.

Oingo

law123

• View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 10, 2006, 01:50:44 PM »
I dont know much about computers....mine is a 5 year old Sony Vaio, will I probably need to get a new one for LS?

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 10, 2006, 01:58:00 PM »
how long would it take to make a .pdf of your casebook?  that seems like it would take a long time on a typical scanner/printer/copier combo.  is have never used a stand-alone scanner.  is that much faster? 

OingoBoingo

• Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 10, 2006, 02:04:21 PM »
I dont know much about computers....mine is a 5 year old Sony Vaio, will I probably need to get a new one for LS?

I was going to use my wife's three year old laptop until I spoke with my sister-in-law. She pretty much told me that the "ab"use that graduate/law school was going to take on the laptop would be enough to finish it off. She has been through many (10+) laptops in her career.

If your laptop was a year (maybe 2) old tops then I'd be less worried about purchasing another.

Oingo

Grunt

• "And what is good, Phaedrus? And what is not good
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: March 10, 2006, 04:07:32 PM »
how long would it take to make a .pdf of your casebook?  that seems like it would take a long time on a typical scanner/printer/copier combo.  is have never used a stand-alone scanner.  is that much faster? 

Are casebooks loose leaf?  I think you could go to Kinko's and get it scanned in.  I have no idea what casebooks are like.  I haven't gotten to that point yet.  ;)

I was hoping they would simply be provided.

You wouldn't have to scan the entire casebook. You'll get a syllabus for each course with the assignments listed by date.  You could scan your assigned pages weekly. Most casebooks are big ol' heavy hardbound volumes, though I've heard that some may actually have digital versions. (Anybody heard of this for sure?) If you have MS OneNote, you can snip out sections from the scanned pages to put in your own digital notes page. 

Or, you could cut the binding off your casebook and just carry around your assigned three-hole-punched pages in a real honest-to-goodness notebook.  I don't sell back books, so this non-digital option might work for someone like me.

« Reply #125 on: March 14, 2006, 06:50:17 PM »
Please help. Matthies, Oingo...or anyone who might know. I'm really at a loss as to what to do here. Currently I own a Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600. It works well for what I do (internet, iTunes, photos) but it is literally the heaviest thing EVER. The space bar gets stuck constantly and it gets hot. It was a hand me down from my dad, who works from home and just got an awesome new VAIO. I too had a VAIO all through college and loved it, but it is 6 yrs old, so I gave it to my boyfriend, he is a writer and honestly just needs a word processsor he can move around the apartment with. SO. I can't lug this Toshiba around school...I'm a fit girl, but I'd rather skip the back problems.This thing is at least 9lbs. Can you recomend a simple, yet nice, small laptop with a Pentium processor, wireless access, that is NOT a Dell...I think they are awful. I don't care for IBM much either, but could be persuaded. I'd kill for a VAIO, but they seem expensive when I already have a laptop for my home. I'd like to use OneNote....and I take it that that is NOT compatible with Macs? The iBook is nice and small, not too expensive. Thanks in advance for your help! :)

« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2006, 07:05:34 PM »
Thanks. I'd definitly get another Toshiba.Not to mention many are coming WITH OneNote already. I don't see myself using the tablet function, but I think those laptops are the coooolest:)

I was told not to get a Centrino processor by a friend who considers himself very tech savy...but I have no reason other than him not to want one. He said it would be way to slow?

Do you (or anyone else) think that you'll use OneNote or just go by hand? I type very quickly...so I'd prefer it..but I'm going to try to read/brief/study note take on paper. Thanks again.

Officer Rod Farva

• FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: March 14, 2006, 07:49:38 PM »
Anyone have an idea of when the successor to the X41 might be coming out?

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 14, 2006, 08:50:14 PM »
Anyone have an idea of when the successor to the X41 might be coming out?

Word on the street...6-9 months if you're lucky.  Word from people in forums that know IBM/Lenovo engineers is end of year 2006.  When I was chatting with an Lenovo sales rep on the phone he said they've been told 6-9 months.  From what I hear, this estimate fits with there release schedule for minor redesigns (since the X60 isn't a complete redesign from the X40 series).

Yeah, I know your pain.  If the X61 was coming out before August I would buy it hands down but as it stands I'll be taking the ugly girl to prom, so to speak.

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 14, 2006, 08:54:04 PM »
They've worked over the z,t, and x40, so I'm thinking that it is soon.  At least by this summer they should have the new one.  I would be surprised if they wait that long.

I think the only issue with the tablet is that it's a derivative of the X series so they can't start building out the tablet until they've the X60 hammered out, which creates a bit of a lag.  It's a little odd because I thought I read that the guts of the X60 is based on the X41...but then again I'm no engineer.