Law School Discussion

redemption

Re: My EFC is....
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2006, 07:10:45 AM »
d'you get Food Network where you are? there's a new show called "ham on the street" that's really annoying, but in one episode, he makes about 4 different meals from free samples at the grocery store, lol. i think it'd be hilarious to just set up camp in the grocery store and have lunch.

no tv.  that's funny though.  some kids at my UG set up a message board listing free food at different events. 

That's how BigLaw gets its hooks in previously idealistic law students

i really hope i get that fellowship money.

When's the ETA on the decision?

redemption

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2006, 07:14:36 AM »
Lazy bums. You've got your script ready?

redemption

« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2006, 07:19:54 AM »
I think that you should go with the proliferation thing and tie it in to your background. Make a seamless narrative out of it. They're looking for sincerity of stated career objectives, I'd guess.

redemption

« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2006, 07:24:11 AM »
I'd write 15 minutes worth and then practice it so that it doesn't sound like it's being read. 15 minutes = about ten pages single spaced.

magnumalv

« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2006, 07:30:11 AM »
think of it as a presentation... get all your material written down so it's fresh in your mind, then use it at will

redemption

« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2006, 07:32:36 AM »
Yes you do - you could talk about ME, NK, PAK, AQ and the different kinds of problems that each represents (2pp); you could talk about your background - personal, academic, work - and how they all tie in to the issue (4pp); you could talk about how treaty law is interesting and how it could - at least in theory - work for nonprolif (1pp); and you could talk about courses of particular interest at Columbia and why/how it ties in (2pp); and, finally, next steps after JD and into the long-term for your career (1 pp).

in my experience in writing/reading essays for tutorials, doing them twice a week every week, 30 pp  = 45 minutes with occasional interruptions.

redemption

« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2006, 07:33:36 AM »
think of it as a presentation... get all your material written down so it's fresh in your mind, then use it at will

Yes. that's the best option. Know it well enough that you can re-tell it in a way that's not stiff and that can be flexible in response to questions.

LubedPumpkin

• Happily flushing at my TTT.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - PhunkyKatie
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2006, 08:16:44 PM »
My EFC is $0. I made ~$5000 last year working summer/winter breaks. I made about $400 working during school. I have my entire undergraduate education paid for through loans($50,000) and about $10,000 in scholarships (for 4 years, total!)

My parents made less than $60,000 and aren't contributing other than signing over their house in loans.

All I got in "aid" was $8,500 in subsidized loans, $10,000 in unsub and a whopping private loan of $32344.

No aid? @#!* you very much! *weep*

Ah well, same as everyone else, I gather!

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »
My EFC is $14156.  (My parents income has nothing to do with it because they have never given me a dime, are broke themselves, and I am 34)

Supposedly, I can get this adjusted by the school, but only AFTER I stop working (on August 1).  I am certain that all the grant money will be gone by then, if I was eligible at all.  Damn!

HippieLawChick

• Current 2L
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 23, 2006, 12:11:01 PM »
around 5k.

Mine is roughly that much as well.  Fafsa dicks people over when they work a lot to pay for their own expenses.

AGREED!