« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:58:35 AM »
around 5k.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: My EFC is....
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 10:28:48 AM »
around 5k.

Mine is roughly that much as well.  Fafsa dicks people over when they work a lot to pay for their own expenses.

StepUpT0theMike

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 10:38:09 AM »
darn...i work about 20 hrs during the year..full time in the summer, have like 200 bucks to my name and i still have an EFC of 1000 something :(

Wow, that's odd.  Now I am completely paranoid that I made a mistake on my FAFSA since our financial situation is exactly the same.  Must go back and recheck.

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 11:35:27 AM »
why the hell did mine come out so high?  are you all still in school or something?

I'm not in school, but I taught English abroad last year. What is considered a big salary there = SUPER small here. Mix that with "taking time off to study for the LSAT", and I guess I don't feel so bad about not having a great job/salary anymore. It sure makes getting loans easier :) But it also makes shoe shopping more difficult :(

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 11:41:05 AM »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe EFC is only loosely tied to income; I believe the strong connection to income comes in the connection to your Adjusted Gross Income on your Federal Income Taxes.  As I received my tax documentation my AGI declined and so did my EFC...I don't know the exact proportion that AGI affect EFC and at what levels but the connection exists.

This idea jives with this site's reccomendations:
http://www.fafsaonline.com/secret1.php

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 12:58:50 PM »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe EFC is only loosely tied to income; I believe the strong connection to income comes in the connection to your Adjusted Gross Income on your Federal Income Taxes.  As I received my tax documentation my AGI declined and so did my EFC...I don't know the exact proportion that AGI affect EFC and at what levels but the connection exists.

This idea jives with this site's reccomendations:
http://www.fafsaonline.com/secret1.php

Thanks for posting that... it will definitely help my boyfriend... He is wanting to go for his B.A., but his EFC is ridiculously high! He took some time off and got a good paying networking job (before 2001) and it really screws you over for financial aid....

JaimeNina

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 03:52:12 PM »
Did you guys get your efc in the email that they send you? Or did it spit it out right after you submitted the FAFSA?

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 04:41:10 PM »
I got it after submission.  I can't remember if it showed up immediately or if I had to select an option to print the report (or some such nonsense).  It's definitely on the SAR.

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2006, 08:55:21 AM »
Did you guys get your efc in the email that they send you? Or did it spit it out right after you submitted the FAFSA?

It spit it out on screen for me...and then sent me an email... It was a nerve-wracking couple of minutes waiting for it to calculate the number thru the magestical powers of FAFSA

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2006, 08:56:53 AM »
My EFC is aroun 27k... yeah for working full-time and savings money... alot of good that did me!