Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Georgetown Waitlist  (Read 19124 times)

kuokuo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
Georgetown Waitlist
« on: February 27, 2006, 06:14:00 PM »
On Preferred Waitlisted at Georgetown

Lady Stardust

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Georgetown Waitlist
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 07:17:28 PM »

Ditto. I have a general question for others on the preferred waitlist --

How are you going to factor this situation into your decision-making process?

talula8828

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 07:50:00 PM »
I'm also on the preferred waitlist at Georgetown. I'm leaning towards going to a smaller school anyways but I figure I'll see where things are at when they e-mail in May.  If I'm set on my choice, have a lease etc., I won't consider it. 

kuokuo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2006, 12:28:11 AM »
I'm also on the preferred waitlist.  I think I'll forget about G-town until they e-mail in May.  This can't be a good sign for the rest of my apps.

I wouldn't stress about the rest of your apps.  I'm in at Penn and Michigan...

SCgrad

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2006, 06:55:20 AM »
i think it is supposed to give you the accurate amount of hope.  preferred, or so i heard, means you have a very good shot.  regular, not so much.  if there is any logic to it, everyone who doesn't withdraw off the preferred waitlist would get in before the regular, and they wouldn't waitlist people unless there was at least a snowball's chance in hell of them getting in.  the fact that the preferred waitlist is not ranked seems strange to me.  If you are the best candidate waitlisted, you could still lose out to the #100 or whatever.  I guess I shouldn't complain, I'm closer to the bottom of the preferred waitlist than the top (or so I would think).

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 06:56:50 AM »
Could someone explain the difference between preferred and regular WL...why bother to have 2? It seems ridiculous, like even more false hope.

Georgetown has to fill one of the largest classes in the country each year. Because of the unpredictability of yield each year, they take the risk averse approach of waitlisting a large group of folks. This ensures that they will continue to have a pool of people to draw upon should they need to increase enrollment to meet operating costs. Because they're still T-14, most folks who opt to stay on their waitlist(s) are indicating that they have not been accepted at a higher ranked school and would attend Georgetown on short notice if given the opportunity. As an example, someone with borderline scores (166-167 LSAT?) who enrolls at GW would make a short-notice decision to attend G-town with minimal incovenience on their part.

rubberbandman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 10:04:49 PM »
Preferred Waitlist as well.  From what I understand, which is very little, one still has a good shot at getting in if they are on the PWL.  Personally, I got into UVA and am a VA resident, so that's where I will be going.  Good luck to everyone else though.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rubberbandman

Harvey.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2006, 09:48:24 PM »
Preferred Waiting List in the mail today, dated 2/28. Quick turnaround, I hope that means they wanted to get me on there as fast as they could. GULC would be a dream...
GULC '09

slicric

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2006, 10:00:30 PM »
I'm also on the preferred waitlist.  I think I'll forget about G-town until they e-mail in May.  This can't be a good sign for the rest of my apps.

For everyone who was quickly put on GULC waitlist, don't despair.  I was put on the waitlist there before receiving any other decisions, but I was admitted to PENN, UVA, NYU and deferred at Harvard and Columbia.  Also, I saw the profile of someone accepted to Harvard who was put on the waitlist at GULC.

Don't be discouraged by the waitlist, you could very easily be accepted to much higher ranked schools.  Just in case that is important to you.

joespecial

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »
Preferred Waitlist as well.  From what I understand, which is very little, one still has a good shot at getting in if they are on the PWL.  Personally, I got into UVA and am a VA resident, so that's where I will be going.  Good luck to everyone else though.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=rubberbandman

Then maybe you ought to withdraw from GULC and make one person on this thread not be insane anymore! (Me, preferably.)