Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Memory Enhancing Drugs?  (Read 890 times)

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
  • Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
Memory Enhancing Drugs?
« on: February 27, 2006, 05:07:30 PM »
Do they work, and which do you recommend?
LSN

Quote from: dotlyn
PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Memory Enhancing Drugs?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2006, 05:12:24 PM »
Hahahaha!!
LSN

PennyLane invented sweet. She has the patent on it. I tried to act sweet one time and she sued me.

GrayArea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2006, 05:22:45 PM »
Ginko Biloba--it's supposed to increase blood flow, thus oxygen, to the brain. You need to be taking for 3 months for them to work. Also, keep up on your viamin B's (be sure they include inositol and choline*). Finally, keeping up with an exercise program not only keeps the blood oxy moving, it'll help with stress.

I just recently dug this stuff up/checked w a friend who's a PhD in Psychology to gear up for round 2.

*Be sure not to overload on vitamin/herbs though, some can be damaging. Check dosages on the online PDR.

sunfunliving

• Sr. Citizen
  • My baby in Haiti....Tamarah
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sunfunliving
    • View Profile
    • :) Study Guide Info :)
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2006, 11:09:47 PM »
Okay --- I am the LSAT granny on here --- I am 41 and if I don't need memory enhancing drugs you don't either...

Vera :)
LSAT - The PERFECT Study Plan (2,4&6 Month PrepGuide) - ask me about it! :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=013&item=230036283031&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

vsavatar

• Sr. Citizen
  • None
    • AOL Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - VSAvatar
    • View Profile
    • Ken Burger's Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2006, 11:57:23 PM »
I second Gray Area's statement.  Be VERY careful with that stuff.  Some of it can be dangerous and even deadly if misused, or if used with other medications.  I thought about going back on ritalin to take the test, but decided not to because I cannot deal with being dependent on a substance to enhance my performance.  I am who I am and I'm fine with that.  Still, ultimately the choice is yours, but be careful and don't make the mistake of getting hooked on anything.  When I had anxiety disorder I was addicted to Valium (it was prescribed to me though) and it was one of the hardest things to kick.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=vsavatar

"They who would sacrifice essential liberty for a little temporary security deserve neither liberty or security." - Benjamin Franklin

"V"

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vi Veri Vniversum Vivus Vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2006, 12:01:50 AM »
To be fair, MEMORY enhancing drugs probably wouldn't help you with the LSAT anyways. You have to remember things for all of a minute to a minute and a half, then you flush it for new material.

I am Penny Lane

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2006, 12:10:51 AM »
Well, first taking Ritilin does not lead to dependency. Nor does it do anything for memory.

And yeah, I'm one of those hippie, supper healthy types so I would be very careful with what I took.  My weakest portion is reading comp, so ANYTHING that will help make it click (and stay there for 7 minutes) would be welcomed into my bloodstream.

I have a crappy memory in general though.... so the stuff is needed year round.

But, what about different foods in your diet... like getting enough protein or anything of that sort???
LSN

Ditka241

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2006, 12:29:54 AM »
Adderall and ritllin are the best.

no_name123

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2006, 09:18:08 AM »
Adderall and ritllin are the best.
i've heard great things about adderall. this is going to sound weird, but does it make you pee more? that seems to be a side effect of a lot of uppers, but i'm not sure exactly how adderall works.

GrayArea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2006, 10:14:00 AM »
I don't think there is any "get rich quick" scheme for memory in general, or particularly, for this test--that are safe anyway. But keeping yourself healthy thru diet & exercise will keep body & mind at peak performance. There are recent findings that maintaining a diet/exercise plan significantly delays the onset of alzheimers and similar memory loss symptoms. So there is definitely a correlation, which I'm sure is not exclusive to the geriatric crowd.

I, rather stupidly, traded off meals and exercise to gain extra time studying, and now know it bought me nothing.

Also, supposedly this type of work/test burns a ton of brain glucose, so it's good to have a high protein+carb snack every couple of hours.

And guys, adderal and ritllin are effective when prescribed for people diagnosed with ADD, and the the dosages are monitored. Please, please don't experiment with stuff. We're supposed to support each other in this forum, not lead astray.