Law School Discussion

Cornrows at Howard - Banned!

John Galt

Re: Cornrows at Howard - Banned!
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2006, 11:18:14 PM »
Here's my perspective as a white male regarding cornrows v. locks.  This may be biased, this may be wrong, but that's not important -- it's the perception that matters because it doesn't matter how wrong the bosses are if they're the ones doing the hiring. 

I've always thought of cornrows as more of a "ghetto" style, like Allen Iverson, and locks as more of an ethnic, African style.  I don't know if this has any merit, but that's what, for me at least, first comes to mind.

Dave, interesting that you bring this up. What do you mean by "ghetto" style? Is ghetto African American or poor? I'm just wondering because I've heard that used before. If you want, PM me and we can dialogue through there. I've always just wanted a white perspective on the issue of ghettoness...

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2006, 11:18:28 PM »
In my opinion, there is a huge difference between sporting locks and cornrows. Cornrows look ghetto and immature to me. On the other hand, there is a way to make locks look neat and professional, especially in a corporate environment. I don't think the institution should ban cornrows, but they should have seminars for students and understand the ramifications of their hairstyle. Granted that there are a lot of Afrocentric individuals on the board who will disagree with me but if you want to work in Corporate America you have to conform to a certain extent. Each company has a particular culture and CORNROWS may not be appropriate. My point is if you want to be stand out rebel against the "white man's" standards, then start your own damn company. Your blackness is not determined by how your hair is style but your state of mind!

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2006, 11:19:14 PM »
Here's my perspective as a white male regarding cornrows v. locks.  This may be biased, this may be wrong, but that's not important -- it's the perception that matters because it doesn't matter how wrong the bosses are if they're the ones doing the hiring. 

I've always thought of cornrows as more of a "ghetto" style, like Allen Iverson, and locks as more of an ethnic, African style.  I don't know if this has any merit, but that's what, for me at least, first comes to mind.

:D :D :D

You're BRAVE. But I think its good you threw this out here. Little things like general perception can have big consequences -- i.e. no job offer.

Therefore, remove your grill before the interview  :D

John Galt

« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2006, 11:24:18 PM »
In my opinion, there is a huge difference between sporting locks and cornrows. Cornrows look ghetto and immature to me. On the other hand, there is a way to make locks look neat and professional, especially in a corporate environment. I don't think the institution should ban cornrows, but they should have seminars for students and understand the ramifications of their hairstyle. Granted that there are a lot of Afrocentric individuals on the board who will disagree with me but if you want to work in Corporate America you have to conform to a certain extent. Each company has a particular culture and CORNROWS may not be appropriate. My point is if you want to be stand out rebel against confirm to the "white man's" standards, then start your own damn company. Your blackness is not determined by how your hair is style but your state of mind!

Yeah, I mean, I guess this is the right response if you want to work in Corporate America today. But my complaint mainly came from Howard embracing such a stance. Annabel, correct me if I'm wrong, but if Howard students wore cornrows the firms would still hire them, right? Howard is an institution that could allow pepope with different hairstyles to enter corporate America. But if Howard bans it to their students it is seen as a legitimate action on the part of companies to make an incorrect determination that black students wearing cornrows is unprofessional. I guess I'm not as mad at the individual conforming as I am at the institution legitimizing the conformity.

« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2006, 11:28:56 PM »
my mother had a problem with it as well..so much so that she brought a perm kit to my dorm room my senior yr of college....at the end of the day I won that battle though.. it's unfortunate that her parents would tell her they'd disown her over her damn hair.. that's a much bigger problem than what howard is doing...

for the most part I haven't had any problems with my hair.. definitely had no problems during interviews or in the office... but I've received some crazy looks from some older black woman.. especially down in Houston.. it was more accepted in DC but I've received a few "you're going to have a hard time obtaining jobs with that style (not knowing there was already a position lined up I might add) ..."why'd you do that to your hair".. or my favorite..coming from my best friend's grandmother.. "u had such long beautiful hair"...

As I said earlier my friend submerged me in this discussion for a very long time b/c she wanted my advice on how to deal with her parents (who literally threatened to disown her if she got locks). The way I see it there are three groups of people who will be hiring.

« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2006, 11:31:33 PM »
you aren't coming off as an ass... some black people think the exact same thing...

Dave, interesting that you bring this up. What do you mean by "ghetto" style? Is ghetto African American or poor? I'm just wondering because I've heard that used before. If you want, PM me and we can dialogue through there. I've always just wanted a white perspective on the issue of ghettoness...

What constitutes ghetto?  I don't know, I guess all the stereotypes.  Because, really, that's all it amounts to.  It's typically an African-American thing, I'd say, but that doesn't necesarily preclude white people either.  It's typically poor, but someone can definitely be rich and "ghetto" (think Allen Iverson and Snoop).   I also associate it with showboating and excessive bling (lol).  I don't mean to come across as an ass here.  Just trying to say what first comes to mind.

Muse

• I heart Naomi!
    • View Profile
    • Yeah I have one...like everyone else.
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2006, 11:35:08 PM »
BLk..this is my gift to you.... ;D

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2006, 11:35:18 PM »
Yeah, I mean, I guess this is the right response if you want to work in Corporate America today. But my complaint mainly came from Howard embracing such a stance. Annabel, correct me if I'm wrong, but if Howard students wore cornrows the firms would still hire them, right? Howard is an institution that could allow pepope with different hairstyles to enter corporate America. But if Howard bans it to their students it is seen as a legitimate action on the part of companies to make an incorrect determination that black students wearing cornrows is unprofessional. I guess I'm not as mad at the individual conforming as I am at the institution legitimizing the conformity.

Well, not every black person wears "natural" hairstyles. So, those that do are often looked over by the firms. I've seen several cases of this.

I can't say whether or not most of our students wearing natural hairstyles would reduce recruitment efforts.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't think Howard would implement such a ban -- but we have advised our students about the realities of certain haristyles. To a certain extent, we have to enforce a degree of conformity. I made a joke earlier about grills. But there are kids who come in with gold teeth, young men who wear earings, women that wear excessive jewelry and wear their skirts too short. We enforce conservative business attire. If we didn't implement things like that, I'm pretty sure our recruiters would leave in droves.

Hairstyle is a lot more intangible I guess, so I really can't give you a definite answer.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2006, 11:37:28 PM »
I am watching CNN right now. I think they'll run the Howard clip shortly. Based on what I have read here, I find it disturbing that Howard would think to ban hairstyles instead of working to change the perceptions affiliated with them. They are taking the cowards way out in this case--conformity. I am not sure if I can hate Howard all that much for it though I stand against them. They realize a problem in the market and are trying to position their grads to move past it. Kids go to B-school in order to build careers not "find out who they are," and Howard has a responsibility to get them jobs. Could Howard really win this fight? Not if it wants to maintain its B-school. It is a battle between personal identity and corporate identity, and there no clear winner, only personal battles waged on differnt fronts.

I know that corporate America has its own set of ideals, but they shouldn't be unchanging. They will only change if people take stands. I don't know where the stand is to be taken. The B-school is one front, but the workplace is the other. I think my question is this: Is corporate America pushing everything toward white culture, or has corprate America created its own culture free from the grips of anything other than getting the deal done? It is possible that corporate culture has emerged from white culture as well, making the first question pretty empty. If corporate culture is eradicating any sense of self celebrated by any culture, then its fair in a bizarre way. If it wants to exclude African-American culture, it is racist :P

As I write this, I am thinking Howard should probably stay out of it.

I'll post more after I see the report.

JG has been dying for you to get online  :D

« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2006, 11:37:29 PM »
i hate you >:(

BLk..this is my gift to you.... ;D