Law School Discussion

Cornrows at Howard - Banned!

crazy8

Re: Cornrows at Howard - Banned!
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2006, 10:23:27 PM »
I can't even say anything about this issue because I'm def. biased.  My man's hair should not take the same amt. of time to do as mine.  I could probably handle the dreads, but something about those cornrows.  Reminds me of Sunday evenings after dinner sitting down while my mom braided my hair for the week. :D

John Galt

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2006, 10:25:13 PM »
Ya, ok, AL. That's the problem with some of you school of B folk. You're willing to sell your soul to get into the door and then you forget who you are. Of course, I'm not trying to generalize - there are a number of exceptions. BUT I think the school of B teaches and reinforces conformity - and that's part of the problem. If Howard would back their students wearing ethnic hairstyles, corporations would still hire them. You know this...

That's why I doubt Howard would implement such a ban in the first place. And you are right (to a certain extent) about the School of Business reinforcing conformity. There are some hard truths to be faced when pursuing a career in business. As I metioned before, conformity is one of the most pronounced traits of certain industries and firms.

And while that IS changing, we still have to equip our students with a certain level of professionalism. If you are going to wear your hair in certain styles, it has to be neat. You don't wear certain shoes and/or suits to interviews. It's not selling your soul. It's adjusting to the demands of your field.

See there you go again with buzz words. Professionalism, as if a black cultural style is inherently unprofessional. At one point African Americans themselves weren't allowed in Corporate America. We surely wouldn't have our students paint their faces white in an attempt to pacify professional standards. The analogy may seem outrageous, but I don't think it is.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2006, 10:25:38 PM »
...hair and dress should matter less than ability..but if a person is walking in looking a certain way you know that the probability of them getting hired is slim regardless of their credentials.. it's an unfortunate reality....and will stay that way as long as more of us aren't at the top...

I think you make an EXCELLENT point.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2006, 10:27:04 PM »
CN...

Okay.  I see what you are saying.  I don't agree with the hair not being an issue, but I see your point.

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2006, 10:27:56 PM »
ok men.. aside from Leo..who's worn cornrows? and if you have not why did you choose not to grow out your hair?

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2006, 10:28:56 PM »
See there you go again with buzz words. Professionalism, as if a black cultural style is inherently unprofessional. At one point African Americans themselves weren't allowed in Corporate America. We surely wouldn't have our students paint their faces white to attempt to pacify professional standards. The analogy may seem outrageous, but I don't think it is.

Well they teach the white, asian, Indian and other kids the same things at NYU and Yale so why not expose our students to the same *knowledge? We are already at a disadvantage and we need to equip ourselves with knowledge if we're ever going to catch up.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2006, 10:31:43 PM »
CN...

Okay.  I see what you are saying.  I don't agree with the hair not being an issue, but I see your point.

It's not an issue if it's neat and groomed. I will say that cornrows are one thing - I don't think anyone can go into the work place with cornrows or with any type of braids, really, even on women. I think I'm arguing more for locs - I think black men and women can both get away with locks as long as they are groomed, evenly sized and spaced (aka cultivated locs) and not past shoulder length on men.

John Galt

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2006, 10:35:18 PM »
...hair and dress should matter less than ability..but if a person is walking in looking a certain way you know that the probability of them getting hired is slim regardless of their credentials.. it's an unfortunate reality....and will stay that way as long as more of us aren't at the top...

What if Martin Luther King, Jr or Malcolm X had that attitude? The Civil Rights Movement would have never been a success. The fact is nothing will change unless people are willing to challenge the standard. This is a common argument I hear from people, but the fact is, if we wait for more of us to get to the  top nothing will ever change because there will never be a critical mass of African Americans in power in Corporate America. That is the unfortunate reality.

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2006, 10:42:27 PM »
challenging the standard without being in a position of power is going to leave a lot of people unemployed... if more of us have our own financial resources  and communities..then the standard can be challenged....

the Civil Rights Movement.. and the ability to wear cornrows are two completely different things..

going back to my question.. .aside from Leo.. men.. who else has worn cornrows? if not why did you choose not to grow out your hair?

What if Martin Luther King, Jr or Malcolm X had that attitude? The Civil Rights Movement would have never been a success. The fact is nothing will change unless people are willing to challenge the standard. This is a common argument I hear from people, but the fact is, if we wait for more of us to get to the  top nothing will ever change because there will never be a critical mass of African Americans in power in Corporate America. That is the unfortunate reality.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2006, 10:45:45 PM »
challenging the standard without being in a position of power is going to leave a lot of people unemployed... if more of us have our own financial resources  and communities..then the standard can be challenged....

exactly. bills gotta get paid...JG, I can tell that you've never worked, a full time job tends to beat the idealism out of a person  ;D ...but you really can't martyr your own future just to make a point. I'm willing to bet you don't have cornrows...