Law School Discussion

Cornrows at Howard - Banned!

Re: Cornrows at Howard - Banned!
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:04 PM »
I think that banning ethnic hairstyles is ridiculous. No one ever forgets that you're black. It's not as though a perm makes you more appealing as a black employee to employers. As long as one's hair is well groomed and not distracting, what in the hell is the issue. Half the time, white people aren't even paying that much attention to your hair.

Have you ever had braids that were longer than your natural hair? If so, when you took them out, what was the complexion of the FIRST person that asked you if you cut your hair? For me, it was ALWAYS a white person (I've had natural hair for six years, so that problem was long ago eliminated).  Black people generally avoided asking questions about the change in my hair.  

People are paying attention. They - meaning employers - are paying attention to everything because there are probably A LOT of qualified candidates coming through the door, so if you don't fit the corporate image, you won't be getting the job.  Just as people with ethnic names are less likely to get hired than people with more mainstream names, people with hairstyles associated with "street culture" (thanks to myriad t.v. shows) are less likely to be seen as employable than those with more mainstream styles. The point is not about making a person LESS black, but more palatable to those whose focus might already be trained on the fact that one IS Black because those people are very likely the ones controlling whether the interviewee is going to be employed at that company.  

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:21 PM »
are u serious??? I heard about the skin color issue but I didn't know Lift Every Voice and Sing was banned @ one point... :'(

Yeah, man. Its a racist policy whether it comes from HU or a white school IMO. Its particularly disgusting coming from Howard though. I remember earlier in the 60s when Howard ban the singing of the negro national anthem and when light skinned students got preference for admissions....Howard needs to do better with this whole conforming to society thing.

M DOT

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »
i really dont see the difference between locks and cornrows, women can pull em of fine, but after a certain length for men its just as "unprofessional" as zig zaging cornrows, although they can be sexy as hell

and i agree lite, im all for a ceasar or baldy

pass36

• But it looks good on you!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »
If the point is that kids will get better jobs, then they will get still more and better jobs with white healthy teeth.  Should schools have flossing and brushing programs?

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 10:16:55 PM »
I agree that this is BS. It is ridiculous that this is coming from two of the most well known HBCU's. Now Black students who want to express themselves culturally through their hair style and be business majors will have to  go...where? To predominantly white schools? Being in business school at a large state university I can say that even at a predominantly white school the business school encourages conformity and discourages students standing out or expressing themselves as far as appearance goes, but I guess somewhere deep down I would think a school like HU would be better than that. That does make me feel better about not going to HU in the first place, although I do not have braids or locs. Go Terps.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 10:17:22 PM »
Well cornrows are one thing. I mean they were popularized by Allen Iverson, not a model of corporate success (not for himself anyway, White folks make plenty money off him I'm sure). Locs on the other hand, don't seem to be associated with Lil Jon. As long as you don't look like Bob Marley, I'm not seeing the issue. In general, any kind of hair on men is seen as a distraction...white men can't wear long hair in the workplace either. On women though, another issue, don't see why a black woman cannot wear a neat head of locs. In the end though, White people still know you're black, none of this makes them "forget"...so, whatever.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2006, 10:18:33 PM »
Ya, ok, AL. That's the problem with some of you school of B folk. You're willing to sell your soul to get into the door and then you forget who you are. Of course, I'm not trying to generalize - there are a number of exceptions. BUT I think the school of B teaches and reinforces conformity - and that's part of the problem. If Howard would back their students wearing ethnic hairstyles, corporations would still hire them. You know this...

That's why I doubt Howard would implement such a ban in the first place. And you are right (to a certain extent) about the School of Business reinforcing conformity. There are some hard truths to be faced when pursuing a career in business. As I metioned before, conformity is one of the most pronounced traits of certain industries and firms.

And while that IS changing, we still have to equip our students with a certain level of professionalism. If you are going to wear your hair in certain styles, it has to be neat. You don't wear certain shoes and/or suits to interviews. It's not selling your soul. It's adjusting to the demands of your field.

M DOT

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2006, 10:20:17 PM »
thats what counts making sure everything is in place and presentable

And while that IS changing, we still have to equip our students with a certain level of professionalism. If you are going to wear your hair in certain styles, it has to be neat. You don't wear certain shoes and/or suits to interviews. It's not selling your soul. It's adjusting to the demands of your field.

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2006, 10:20:28 PM »
Have you ever had braids that were longer than your natural hair? If so, when you took them out, what was the complexion of the FIRST person that asked you if you cut your hair? For me, it was ALWAYS a white person (I've had natural hair for six years, so that problem was long ago eliminated).  Black people generally avoided asking questions about the change in my hair.  

People are paying attention. They - meaning employers - are paying attention to everything because there are probably A LOT of qualified candidates coming through the door, so if you don't fit the corporate image, you won't be getting the job.  Just as people with ethnic names are less likely to get hired than people with more mainstream names, people with hairstyles associated with "street culture" (thanks to myriad t.v. shows) are less likely to be seen as employable than those with more mainstream styles. The point is not about making a person LESS black, but more palatable to those whose focus might already be trained on the fact that one IS Black because those people are very likely the ones controlling whether the interviewee is going to be employed at that company.  

People notice when you CHANGE your hair. That's diff than them paying special attention to it otherwise.

And just to be clear, I'm not making an 'expression' argument. I think that's bull. When you work in Corporate America, you don't get to "express" yourself. However, I don't think a hairstyle that is deemed ethnic is "expression". I mean that typical "perm" look that many Black women sport is still a far cry from the average white girls pageboy...Afro textured hair, even when chemically processed, still looks different than white hair. Black people's hair is diff than white people's hair (by and large) so if you're wearing a style that White ppl dont normally wear (like locs) I don't think that is in and of itself an issue.

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2006, 10:22:11 PM »
very true...

Ya, ok, AL. That's the problem with some of you school of B folk. You're willing to sell your soul to get into the door and then you forget who you are. Of course, I'm not trying to generalize - there are a number of exceptions. BUT I think the school of B teaches and reinforces conformity - and that's part of the problem. If Howard would back their students wearing ethnic hairstyles, corporations would still hire them. You know this...

That's why I doubt Howard would implement such a ban in the first place. And you are right (to a certain extent) about the School of Business reinforcing conformity. There are some hard truths to be faced when pursuing a career in business. As I metioned before, conformity is one of the most pronounced traits of certain industries and firms.