Law School Discussion

Cornrows at Howard - Banned!

John Galt

Re: Cornrows at Howard - Banned!
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2006, 09:49:10 AM »
Sorry for being out of topic, but is Kaplan's pay enough for DC (rent and food)?

They pay very well, but unfortunately I think you only work for 3 nights a week for 3 or 4 hours. So no, not for rent in DC. With a 174, you could also teach at testmasters in DC while teaching at Kaplan and the combined income should be enough for rent/food/and a decent social life. I don't know if anyone has done it, but it should be possible. Most people I know supplement their LSAT teaching income with a part time job as well.

« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2006, 09:49:51 AM »
doubt it seriously..

Sorry for being out of topic, but is Kaplan's pay enough for DC (rent and food)?

« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2006, 09:50:17 AM »
OFF to sleep, I have been working all night. Have a good day everyone!

John Galt

« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2006, 09:51:02 AM »
Nah, its not Howard. Its Hampton. And while people probably wouldn't stop attending Howard's B school (way too many advantages) there would be some serious protests. Granted, the protests' origin would probably come from the political science department and HUSA ;) and not so much the students in the school of B.

Ummm, I would have you know that School of B students are very active on campus. Our current student council is by far one of the most effective I've seen on campus and the undergraduate trustee is a business student. Any such move would incite extreme protest -- we know how to handle our biz.

All you poli sci kids care about is getting into HLS  ;) :D

School of B kids are TRULY the future leaders of the global community.  ;D

I bet you didn't write this with a straight face.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2006, 09:52:27 AM »
A question for those who do not have a problem with this new rule, would you feel the same way if Harvard Business School or Wharton implemented a similar policy banning conrows, locs, and let's say hair past the shoulders- that way it wouldn't only be predominantly black hairstyles.

Would it still be a non-issue, and just seen as giving students a taste of what they might see in corporate America?

Actually, I think an outright ban on natural hairstyles would negatively affect recruitment. The main reason corporate America makes such an effort with respect to diversity initiatives and recruitment is because they are trying their darndest to overcome thier horrible reputation whenit comes to discrimination.

Such a policy may cause people not place even more blame on recruiting firms (especially if that's the reason these schools cite) and cause negative attention. What firm wants that reputation in today's business environment? Unspoken rules are one thing. An outright ban is something altogether.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2006, 10:00:01 AM »
Most people assume that business majors are only passionate about making money -- but we are a diverse group and have many varied interests.

We are committed to giving back to the community, mentoring and tutoring. Not everyone works for Fortune 500 companies -- we work with non-profits, economic development agencies etc. Not only do we promote scholarship, but we also promote activism and entrepreneurship. Leadership is encouraged and reinforced at every level. I'm proud of my school and my peers.  8)

John Galt

« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2006, 10:08:24 AM »
Most people assume that business majors are only passionate about making money -- but we are a diverse group and have many varied interests.

We are committed to giving back to the community, mentoring and tutoring. Not everyone works for Fortune 500 companies -- we work with non-profits, economic development agencies etc. Not only do we promote scholarship, but we also promote activism and entrepreneurship. Leadership is encouraged and reinforced at every level. I'm proud of my school and my peers.  8)

It's only marginally convincing because it is coming from you.

Edit: That's to say if it were another source, I'd dismiss it entirely. B-school people are all about getting paid. Not that lawyers are not.

Edit (2). OK, I am reaching a bit. Not all b-school people are bad.

No, man. No. It loses ALL credibility because its coming from AL. I love AL to death, but you can't trust anything she says when defending school of B. The sunglasses smiley at the end is a dead give away.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2006, 10:10:06 AM »

Edit: That's to say if it were another source, I'd dismiss it entirely. B-school people are all about getting paid. Not that lawyers are not.

Well, you can be rich and give back too you know! And if you're FILTHY rich, well, all the more to give back  ;D

John Galt

« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2006, 10:10:40 AM »

Well, you can be rich and give back too you know! And if you're FILTHY rich, well, all the more to give back  ;D

i rest my case.

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 27, 2006, 10:22:49 AM »

Well, you can be rich and give back too you know! And if you're FILTHY rich, well, all the more to give back  ;D

i rest my case.

Listen, there's no reason I can't organize a clothing drive from my yacht  ::)

jsia