« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2006, 09:56:44 PM »
well of course thats the type of thing you expect at Hampton, the fake HU

lol, jk ;)

Hybrid Vigor

• prestigious
    • View Profile
Re: Cornrows at Howard - Banned!
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2006, 09:58:57 PM »
I think that banning ethnic hairstyles is ridiculous. No one ever forgets that you're black. It's not as though a perm makes you more appealing as a black employee to employers. As long as one's hair is well groomed and not distracting, what in the hell is the issue. Half the time, white people aren't even paying that much attention to your hair.

M DOT

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2006, 10:00:57 PM »
thats funny.....i wonder if my hair blown out into a super duper 1970 fro would be a problem even though it's "nicely tapered"
"We don't have problems with Afros," business Dean Sid Credle said Friday. "A nicely tapered Afro - that's fine."

Nemesis

• The High Priestess
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 10:02:40 PM »
Oh JG, how we love to bash the School of B.

This is a touchy issue and, even if it is true, I can understand why it would raise a few eyebrows. Even though certain hairstyles are without a doubt an expression of black culture, corporate America is notorious for its conformity. And, unfortunately, that conformity is based on the white male. While I do think the African American community needs to set an example and change this, that's an impossible task to accomplish if you can't get your foot in the door.

Get the job offer: Then you can wear your hair however you want to. It sounds crass but I just wanted to through that out there...

faith2005

« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2006, 10:05:20 PM »
seconded kb--its always black people trying to figure out how to limit ourselves. assimilationist n*****. white people don't know the difference really, unless your hair is really wild. i know people with locs who've gotten jobs at law firms and i-banking firms. hampton kicked students out for protesting the war so this doesn't sound out of character at all.

John Galt

« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2006, 10:06:15 PM »
Oh JG, how we love to bash the School of B.

This is a touchy issue and, even if it is true, I can understand why it would raise a few eyebrows. Even though certain hairstyles are without a doubt an expression of black culture, corporate America is notorious for its conformity. And, unfortunately, that conformity is based on the white male. While I do think the African American community needs to set an example and change this, that's an impossible task to accomplish if you can't get your foot in the door.

Get the job offer: Then you can wear your hair however you want to. It sounds crass but I just wanted to through that out there...

Ya, ok, AL. That's the problem with some of you school of B folk. You're willing to sell your soul to get into the door and then you forget who you are. Of course, I'm not trying to generalize - there are a number of exceptions. BUT I think the school of B teaches and reinforces conformity - and that's part of the problem. If Howard would back their students wearing ethnic hairstyles, corporations would still hire them. You know this...

intent06

• "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2006, 10:09:01 PM »
I absolutely hate it! While I can understand where they are coming from, would we be in agreeance that this is a good idea if a white institution banned it??  The answer to that would be a resounding HELL NAW!!!  The End!

crazy8

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2006, 10:10:58 PM »
I do like my men with the fresh cut! :D ;D

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2006, 10:11:05 PM »
I'm playing devil's advocate in a way..but honestly (waiting for the locks versus cornrows argument) I feel that a person is setting themselves up the moment that they are trying to search for a Wall Street job for example with some cornrows in their head... I think that in a way Howard and Hampton are taking a stand to try to better prepare these young men for the jobs that they desire... I don't think that a person is going to lose their sense of identity because of this...

hair and dress should matter less than ability..but if a person is walking in looking a certain way you know that the probability of them getting hired is slim regardless of their credentials.. it's an unfortunate reality....and will stay that way as long as more of us aren't at the top...

Now tell me why that is excellent Blk?

John Galt

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2006, 10:11:25 PM »
I absolutely hate it! While I can understand where they are coming from, would we be in agreeance that this is a good idea if a white institution banned it??  The answer to that would be a resounding HELL NAW!!!  The End!

Yeah, man. Its a racist policy whether it comes from HU or a white school IMO. Its particularly disgusting coming from Howard though. I remember earlier in the 60s when Howard ban the singing of the negro national anthem and when light skinned students got preference for admissions....Howard needs to do better with this whole conforming to society thing.