Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Davis vs. Hastings  (Read 1222 times)

TFarris

• View Profile
Re: Davis vs. Hastings
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2006, 01:34:26 PM »
Hastings is so huge that you'll actually find more Hastings grads scattered around the state.

In your situation, I'd go to Davis unless you really want to be in SF and hate the Sacramento area.  It's expensive to live in SF, Hastings isn't reportedly a very fun place, and people are very competitive.

Davis, on the other hand, is a chill college town.  Your classes will be small, cost of living is lower and people probably get along a little better.

Just depends on your personal style and what you want to do for a living when you're done.  Both schools will set you up fine in CA.

lww02

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2006, 04:24:44 PM »
non-competative is for Davis.  I've also heard all the things TFarris said, but the few students i know who go/went there also say it's easy to find chill people and to be successful without being driven crazy with the competition.  because hastings is older and bigger and has way more alumns, hastings seems to have much more respect in CA even though Davis is ranked higher.

While I wait for my dings from Boalt and UCLA to arrive (pending) I'll be visiting Davis on friday then perhaps Hastings after that.  (I'll let you all know how it goes.).

Right now i don't know what kind of law I'd like to do, but I do know i'd rather end up in the SF Bay area (where I live now and where I'd be very very happy to stay.) However, the small class size, friendlyness, cheapness and community feel of Davis really attract me.... but i just dont know if i can be somewhere so rural and isolated and flat and full of brand new big box chain stores. (reminds me too much of my childhood.)

LSN lww02

Whoaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2006, 05:22:29 PM »
This is from an EastCoaster that is tired of these cold winters. I am looking at working/living in SoCal. My numbers aren't good enough for USC or UCLA, but I could stand a chance at UC-Davis and USan Diego.

How does University of SD compare to UC-Davis in terms of placement in SoCal? I am more concerned with "big Law" firms.

Thanks

spud1987

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2006, 06:08:20 PM »
This is from an EastCoaster that is tired of these cold winters. I am looking at working/living in SoCal. My numbers aren't good enough for USC or UCLA, but I could stand a chance at UC-Davis and USan Diego.

How does University of SD compare to UC-Davis in terms of placement in SoCal? I am more concerned with "big Law" firms.

Thanks

From what I have heard, USD is great in San Diego  but doesn't travel that well to other areas of So Cal, firms in LA would take UCLA, USC, and Loyola over USD.  Davis is a good school in Nor Cal but I don't think it travels very well to So Cal. 

kuokuo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2006, 10:20:29 PM »
I personally think that Hastings travels very well all over the state (I'm guessing nesnut's definition of traveling well likely differs from mine).  Remember, Hastings was up there for a long time with UCLA.  A lot of people from that era are hiring partners/managers these days (Although I'm sure they are also aware of the USNWR rankings). 

Davis is a smaller and "newer" school. It's more of an unknown commodity. A lot of people I've talked to in socal feel Hastings is the stronger school.  But,  Davis does have a lot to like -- including the aformentioned smaller class size and a more nurturing staff.  One person mentioned the quiet surroundings help keep your mind on studying.

For either school, if you excel, you can find a job anywhere in California (I have friends who graduated from both schools and got BigLaw socal jobs working along side Furd, Boalt, Harvard, etc. grads).     

kuokuo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2006, 11:26:11 PM »
thanks for the post, kuokuo- by "travelling well" I mean that, especially in LA, people don't register Davis or Hastings as bastions of legal education. This is obviously due to the regional characteristics every law school carries.  Before I began this whole process, I didn't even know there was a UC Hastings (no lawyers/need for lawyers thus far in my family), but I had definitely heard of Southwestern, LMU etc.  Davis and Hastings are better schools than both of the aforementioned, but their names don't roll of the tongues of people as quickly as I feel they should. 

I'm glad to hear that you know many people from both Davis and Hastings who have succeeded in So Cal.  My heart is set on going to one or the other, but I want the flexibility that comes with a degree that can be used all over the state.  I'm glad to hear that I'm probably wrong about both schools

Yea, I know what you mean.  When I first start looking into law schools, I had never heard of Hastings...but in the Cali legal community, it's fairly well known

Don't underestimate the power of a huge alumni network.  One of my friends from Hastings was helping to fundraise for the school while a 2L and he got multiple lunch offers from partners.  I think Hastings can open doors.  That said, I also know you must do better at Hastings than at UCLA or USC to get the same opportunities.

In the end, whether it's UCLA, USC, Hastings, Davis, McGeorge, Santa Clara, if you do well you will have some really awesome opportunities. 

My dad has a friend who went to McGeorge and is now a partner at a top Bay Area firm. He also has a friend from Southwestern who is General Counsel at a mid sized company.

My rec is to get into the best cali school you can get into and work on doing well.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2006, 01:19:42 PM »
ive heard that the renovations are noise... are they near the housing building? that would kind of suck. i really need quiet space.

iyl

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2006, 02:12:48 PM »

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2006, 03:28:33 PM »
my davis was updated feb. 14th last time. still evaluation in progress. so incredibly irritating.

wowand135

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2006, 03:34:37 PM »
i stopped by davis over xmas break on my way back from tahoe. they weren't too enthusiastic or interesting anyways. forget them!  ;D